Searching For Swamp Thing

unnamed
There’s so many Swamp Thing stories, but which do I read first? It’s so hard to pick one.
What comics of Swamp Thing would you guys recommend? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Alan Moore’s run on Saga of Swamp Thing were issues #s 20-58, 60-61, 63-64, and Annual #2, I believe.

It’ll be said a million times, but Moore’s run is tour de force in sequential art and storytelling within the comic book medium.

6 Likes

What @xLOVEandDoomPatrolx said. A spot on post.

4 Likes

House of Secrets # 92

The Saga of The Swamp Thing # 21-139, For some, Wheeler’s stuff is hit or miss but as a collective between Moore, Veitch, Wheeler, & Collins it’s a good read.

1 Like

I think Moore dipped out around # 64. Then Veitch went till # 87, and Wheeler 109 until Collins picked it up. There where a few random writers in-between but that’s pretty close to how it went I think.

1 Like

Thankyou guys for the recommendation, please keep it coming!:grinning:

2 Likes

What @xLOVEandDoomPatrolx, @DarkKnightinWhiteSatin and @Aquamon said, but I will also say start at the start. Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson’s stuff is great as well. Plus, if you read all of the issues before hand, and then go into Moore’s run, you will have a great understanding of who Swampy is, What’s going on, and get really invested into other characters like Abby and Matt.

Here’s a quick video discussing his origins and creation.

The Original Series: DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: Explore the Multiverse (You can stop once stuff gets weird at #21)

Saga of the Swamp Thing: DC UNIVERSE INFINITE: Explore the Multiverse (Moore starts at 20-64)

Advice: Stop reading after Moore! His run is perfect and I don’t want to ruin the effect his run had.

7 Likes

Right.
:laughing:

Did you ever check out that mini series of Wein in 2016? Haven’t read it myself.

1 Like

@msgtv
Has Swamp.Thing
As the topic
For the DC History.Club
In.October 2020

Has
Recommended issues
For both
Wein.and Moore

Many relevant links

Comments from
Other members

And more

5 Likes

Don’t ever have much to contribute, but y’all kill it on those History Club entries! Appreciate the work and all the videos. :sunglasses: :metal:

2 Likes

Start with the original run by Wein and Wrightson, And by all means read the groundbreaking run by Alan Moore, but don’t skip over the Martin Pasko issues that preceded Moore. They too are fine books.

2 Likes

I really loved the Swamp Thing Winter Special from 2018.

The Tom King story was amazing and it also features the final Len Wein Swampy script.

2 Likes

I am another big fan of starting at the start. Alan Moore’s stories shine brightest when they are in the context of the original character’s history. Without that history, Moore’s stories get robbed of their calculated punch.

Start at the beginning with Wein and Wrightson.

1 Like