Save DCDaily

I think Covid has taken its toll on the show production. We all thought it was probably likely to stop when WB had put there halt in all shooting, but @DCDaily stepped up and figured out a way to make it work. Cali has been under shelter-in-place for 92 days.

I’m glad that DCDaily was able to continue on as long as it did. It was really quite impressive. And they are giving us and them a chance to wrap it up in a nice little bow as well.

I hope it eventually comes back in some form: daily, weekly, or interview and book club segments that get added to the service.

4 Likes

Save (insert show name here) campaigns don’t usually work, but I am all for it got nothing to lose.

One thing I have noticed is I am guessing at least a factor (although I can only speculate) was the fact the Zoom camera format they had no real choice but to adopt now lowered production a lot, and with movies halted from production and release, and the CW shows over and nothing in production, plus the comics not publishing for so long they had nothing to really promote for DC, which I am sure was part of the appeal to the show for DC and Warner Brothers.

But the state has given them permission to film again, and while I know getting the new guidelines in place will take some time. But it seems that if filming can resume they could rearange the seating in the studio (and possibly fewer host per episode) to sit far enough apart to resume in the studio which would up the production values.

Granted, good chance if it is cancelled the studio might have torn everything down, and obviously could be bigger issues behind the scenes. But seems at least from a standpoint of production and having things to talk about the corner might have been able to turn soon. So maybe…

5 Likes

The set itself was just a few flats. It was the set dressing that made up the set.

However, I’m wondering with the shooting restrictions being lifted, but more shows likely to shoot on soundstages and backlots where you have much greater control and contact tracing, than you would shooting on location.

I wonder if WB decided they wanted the set and production capacity for other, more important and profitable projects, like films, CW shows, etc etc???

2 Likes

Could be, but a weekly show would be great and weekly interview of actors, artists, editors and writers is needed.

6 Likes

I just don’t see why they don’t keep the show running. See as the hosts mostly came from Geek & Sundry, this format of show is their bread and butter. They should keep the show going with the same daily format. They already are passing us who signed up for DC Universe with this rotating library, and not putting out enough new content, now are getting rid of this excellent mouth peice for their content and products. They are actively sabotaging their platform. Also I need my daily doses of Whitney and Amy.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a DC Daily: Rebirth or DC Daily: The Animated Series. I just miss the show and hope it returns at some capacity.

4 Likes

DC Daily the animated series would be awesome!!!

2 Likes

I was hoping maybe submitting questions about DC Daily for DC fandom could possibly increase the chances for a return at some capacity!!! It’s a long shot but I going to try!!!:crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

DC Daily was a cherished part of my day for a couple years now, even more so in this time of quarantine and isolation, where the show has become a “lifeline” to help stave off the loneliness and distance I feel from the world. I loved being informed about the news of the company and have my attention drawn to developments in storylines in the comics to check out, But most of all, I really, really enjoyed the daily connection I felt to the presenters and all the creators they interviewed. It made my connection to DC feel very personal. I will still love DC immensely, but without this daily connection, I expect to feel even more isolated and a deep sensee of loss at the lack of this daily check-in with my extended “famiily” at DC. This show really brings tremendous value to the platform that goes far beyond the costs of production in the sense of community and connection it fosters. DC Daily has been the face, or faces, of the DC brand for a couple years now, and cancelling the show seems shortsighted to me, given the goodwill, enthusiasm and engagement the show generates. I am hoping fervently for a swift return of the show once conditions align for it to be able to resume production.

2 Likes

How do we get DC Daily back in action?

6 Likes

No idea. Might have to wait due to Covid

4 Likes

Don’t know but we need them back.

2 Likes

DC Daily had found a way for the cast to do similar duties from.their home.

Therefore.it was not canceled because of the virus.

It was canceled because, although very cheap to produce, it still cost money and, unlike the other DC Original Control. It could not generate extra revenue by licensing to orher services.

So, unless AT&T hears a very large intense negative reaction against the cancellation, DC Daily will remain dead.

5 Likes

Unless one of the Community is extremely wealthy and would like to finance it as a vanity project. Unlikely.

2 Likes

This is why, when I talk about DC Daily, I try to make the point that it’s a big part of the value of my subscription. They may not get money by showing it outside of DC Universe, but I can see a near future where I let my subscription lapse with it gone. Specifically, there are only a couple of other old shows I want to watch through, and while I like the other originals, it’d be cheaper to wait for the DVDs. It’s nice that the DCYou shows will eventually exist, because at least two out of the three are important, but none of them are a show I’d go out of my way to watch.

2 Likes

Unfortunately
Both
DC Universe and DC Comics
are extremely minor revenue generating items
In the billions of dollars of AT&T revenue and debt.

Eliminating either has literally NO effect
On overall revenue or debt

Yet Management must show
they are doing something

So they raise revenue
By eliminating the annual membershop option

And cut costs
By cancelling DC daily

And making cancelled DC comics
Like Supergirl.and the Terrifics
Digital Only in their final issues

3 Likes

I don’t currently have the passion or time for it, but am guessing there are fans here or elsewhere that could do what DC Daily was doing through YouTube and elsewhere very inexpensively. A fan-inspired version of DC Daily. If it took off, they could gain more interview access. A lot of work for those involved, because any “show” is much more time consuming than the time you’re on the air, but if there are enough passionate people involved, it’s a project that could take off.

This might be some of what AT&T was thinking. Why are we paying for this? Let the fans create their own thing – and let them pay for it. Look at Joe Rogan. Guy just closed $100 million deal with Spotify. There is a market for interviews and DC has a ton of interesting topics and people that could be covered.

2 Likes

I agree the streaming app will not be the same without the personal touch for the fans. They could open the show up to advertisers. That is how most things are funded on TV. Comedy Central has the daily show with a much bigger budget, and that is funded that way.

@jcolag, DCYou shows?

This stuff: DCYou: Unscripted. I forgot the “Unscripted” part of the name. Presumably, none of them are in production with quarantines, but the shows are still somewhere out on the horizon.

Definitely true, but if they dismiss losses in a division out of hand, they’re going to have angry shareholders. Because regardless of the current numbers, I think that we can all agree that there’s a strategy (painful as it might be for some other divisions) to making DC Universe a significant revenue stream.

And Warner wouldn’t keep the site up, if they didn’t believe that had a decent chance of happening at some point. I mean, there’s no chance they’d put this much money into a streaming service, just because customers like it. If it didn’t have potential, they’d just tell everybody to head to HBOMax and Comixology, instead…

1 Like