RUMOR: David Corenswet Eyed for Superman

I’m pretty sure he specifically said he’d like to tell the story from where it was “left at that point”.

Netflix isn’t Disney, they’re not going to invest that much money and all of this time doing all of these press events just to fire Henry over a movie (which isn’t a tv show like the Witcher).

It’s why this topic is marked RUMOR all-caps :joy: It’s just fun to discuss just like fan theories. It’s just funny that Men’s Health picked up the story after Henry gave them the quote about not having put away his cape yet.

“The cape is in the closet,” Cavill says. “It’s still mine.”

He’s also bringing up James Bond stuff lately, which just makes it look like he’s worried about the Witcher and his career after, rather than truly wanting to be Superman.

1 Like

He does talk about the future of Superman. “I would rather talk about what is going to happen in the future”. As for referencing Man of Steel, I understood that as a desire for a direct sequel for his solo Superman movie.

In any case…I think we share the same sentiment of wanting to see Superman on the big screen again. So let’s root for that :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I get what you’re saying, because that quote out of context does convey what you’re saying. In the actual interview, he mentions his personal chapters in his life. Henry wants to look to the future of his career and how Superman fits into his future. What that future looks like to Henry is going back to right after Man of Steel. I do agree he means a direct sequel, but that direct sequel is one that goes backward for Henry based on what he actually says in the interview.

Either way, yes, more Superman! You know who I really want to return? Faora :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes to Faora!

2 Likes

I know there’s a lot of other stuff to discuss here, but I just wanna take a minute to appreciate this blessed image

2 Likes

Agree with the chick arms thing. Not so much on Armie Hammer though. Anyone who plays Supes needs to seriously bulk up.

1 Like

I don’t agree with that. Superman doesn’t get his powers from being muscular. It looks great visually, but it’s not necessary. Most of the Supermen haven’t even really been that muscular besides Cavill.

1 Like

Guys give it to Cameron Cuffe! It’s not hard!

By chick I meant chicken.

But Superman, in comics has generally been a pretty well built man never the less. The actors who have played him may not have been. But Superman has always generally been pretty massive.

1 Like

Yeah, but I’d rather have a Superman in live action that embodies the character’s personality more than one that embodies him visually. Cavill is a great visual Superman, but watching his interview posted in this thread reminded me of how boring he is. He doesn’t have a Superman charm, for me personally. If you can find an actor that can both embody Superman’s personality and physicality, then great. I just don’t need it.

I think he did a pretty good job embodying the spirit of Superman a bit later on in the JL film. When he was a bit more light and happy. When he was fighting Steppenwolf I felt like he really could do a good job with Superman.

2 Likes

I trust a film and its director to cast whoever they feel fits the part best. Haven’t heard much of this actor before so I’d be interested to see what happens. That being said, this is just another rumor. We don’t even have a new Superman film confirmed yet (I mean of course one will be coming out eventually, but casting usually isn’t announced until after the film is ready to be announced).

1 Like

His action scenes are always great. I still wasn’t really feeling Superman in those scenes. It felt a bit too contrived, but maybe with better writing he’d be great. I just typically have enjoyed Cavill in roles where he’s a bad guy more than where he’s a good guy.

@OmniLad I’d give him a chance. He’s pretty great in The Politician. I like more unknowns taking on Supes. Traditionally he has been played by people with few credits under their belts, right? Seems to work for the character. Yes, this is a rumor. Hence the first word in the title and it being capitalized. Like you said, “of course one will be coming out eventually,” so why not indulge in some discussion about possible castings? It’s fun :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Longest audition ever :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Cavill seems like a nice guy but he didn’t play superman enough for me to think no one else will do

4 Likes

Exactly! I think the only time I EVER thought to myself “Hey it’s Superman!” Was in his cameo in Black Adam.

I don’t think he was a terrible superman but I have no strong emotions about Cavill to be sad he’s gone either.

4 Likes

I can agree with that. It’s more sad to think about how much time was wasted where we could have had a ton of Superman stories with Henry. That potential that never really materialized because of the powers that be is the part that gets me.

4 Likes

This is more of a bronze age take. Yes, the official (so most commonly viewed) depiction is the model sheet from José Luis García-López - and yes, Garcia- Lopez could and did draw a buff Supes:

And even if we go with the classic decades long Curt Swan (or Swan/Murphy Anderson depiction)

version, yes, did have some musculature.

But this wasn’t the Ed McGuinness style or the often depicted and described as house style where even folks like Hal and Barry are shown with body builder physiques, so ‘pretty massive’ is far more of a modern (past 1990s) take.

And the problem is that now DISCO wants every DC story to be, predominantly, theatrical and now don’t want to approve something for theatrical release (with streaming no longer really being an option for DC Comics story-telling, apparently ) unless they feel it’s going to make multiples of hundreds of million in gross earnings back. Or someone else will pay for it (e.g. letting Prime push out those new Batman animation stuff, allowing Superman and Lois to exist for another year, but no longer, allowing Sandman to exist while Netflix will underwrite it, etc.)

Personally, as to the point of this thread, it’s interesting that you picked up on Coronswet in 2019 and he did turn out to be the one cast. As far as physique, apparently he has been working out - or was apparently putting on weight, or so it appeared in public - when he was photographed a month or more back out shopping.

I personally would have liked to have seen a second solo movie from Henry, and I wouldn’t object if five or ten years down the line, we get a live action adaptation of say Superman Secret Identity, where Henry gets CGI deaged the way Harrison Ford did to play the ten minutes or so of screen time of teenage Clark Kent in that story, and slightly less deaged to play another ten to twenty minutes of adult Clark Kent, dating and marrying his adult Lois, intermixed with action and then the last third be his actual then age to play the prime Superman with his twin daughters. Or something else that could use multiple, generational takes and be a good slice of life elseworld story, a decade plus remove from the dreck that was the Snyderverse and even some years removed from whatever Gunn is doing.

I enjoyed what Routh got the chance to do in the DCW’s Crisis cross-over and (while I would much rather see Routh be given a proper live action follow-up in the next few years while he can still get in shape and wear that Kingdom Come suit), I would definitely enjoy seeing Henry get that as well, eventually.