Ruining Nightwing

This whole Ric Grayson thing is stupid and has not built the character at all. They have made my favorite comic next to unreadable. If anyone can offer a different way to look at this please I’m all ears.

2 Likes

Yeah! I’ve been waiting for this “Nightwing” gimmick to run its course so he can go back to the shortpants and elf shoes for 35 years!

3 Likes

It’s really stupid and probably only happening because of the one editor I can’t remember the name of who keeps trying to tank Nightwing. Didn’t the same guy try to kill Nightwing’s series by starting Grayson but it didn’t work because Grayson sold very well because fans of Dick Grayson bought it anyways?

3 Likes

Blame William J. Lepetomane. He’s so busy with “Work, work, work!”. He’ll stop in every so often for a ten minute break to say “Hello boys! Miss me?!” but afterwards, it’s back to “Work, work, work!”.

1 Like

I’m also not a fan of the current arc, but a poster in a different thread on this topic (comic book section) provided the perspective that the various ‘Nightwings’ all represent different aspects of Dick. Basically, this is another way to explore who Dick is. That idea made the setup more interesting to me, and gave me some reason to care at all about the new crew, even if just a little. I still can’t wait for Dick/Nightwing to be back though.

I agree.
It’s stupid.

Let’s all reflect back on Dick’s finer moments:

Leading the Titans
Becoming Nightwing
The launch of his first ongoing series

2 Likes

@Awesome_Squid That Grayson series was so good too. I mean, Im glad they brought him back to being Nightwing, but it really felt like a fresh and nice change for a while.

Im glad it got a good reception from fans, most of the time people hate when a major character changes that dramatically.

1 Like

If it was a short little 5 issue arc it would be ok with me. Its dragging on, I hope they just fix his memory already so fans can get back to enjoying the character they bought the book for in the fist place.

9 Likes

Yeah, it’s all about how long it takes. If they drag it out too much, we have a Blue Superman problem.

4 Likes

I am sincerely hoping this new Talon arc will bring some type of resolution to the memory loss and return the Nightwing/Dick Grayson we want. I feel like, if done well, this could be what brings the magic back to the storytelling for the hero we all know and love.

They’re testing the waters with a soft reboot.

He should really be only called Ricardo Grasón and slick his hair back.

Dick Grayson the name offends me.

2 Likes

I actually think it’s been pretty darn good

2 Likes

Nightwing’s character reached it’s high point when he was the leader of the Titans. Forcing him out of that role, and trying to make him a loner, have not been good for him. He’s at his best when he’s leading a team.

4 Likes

I stopped getting the book and am waiting for this arc to end. I check every month and am so disappointed that it is continuing this long.

2 Likes

Honestly the spy stuff was worse in my opinion

1 Like

DC editorial has been trying to kill him for years. They tried with Infinite Crisis. They tried with Forever Evil. Every time, he’s gone back to normal. He will this time, too. And it is good to see a new take on a character every once in a while. Sure, I’m not a fan of this particular story, but it is good to see writers experimenting. This time might not have worked out, but maybe next time will.

1 Like

I dunno. It’s gone on so long I’ve become suspicious of this arc. It’s like, in the past they tried to straighten him and Batman up, then they tried to kill Nightwing, now it’s like, what if there was a traditionally masculine straight guy hiding in Dick Grayson all along?

I don’t think anyone at DC has figured out when or how to end this storyline. Jurgens is just forced to spin his wheels, endlessly recapping the same stuff. The faux Nightwings are boring and get way too much space in the book. Bea is the only other supporting character but she has no personality beyond just seeming nice. It’s just very vanilla.

1 Like

I think the arc will end in december

1 Like