[RR: Red Hood 6] REDemption: Aug. 3-16

Yes. The time range is in the thread title.

I am looking forward to the expanded Rebirth team, too.

1 Like

Yeah, this is more or less the conclusion I came to after Rebirth convinced me to give Lobdell another chance. There are a lot of flaws in RHATO, but the scenario for Jason and Roy before the reboot was bad. (I still miss Lian, though.)

3 Likes

Lianā€™s death figures heavily in Royā€™s pre-N52 situation. I miss her as well. If the N52 had been better executed and better received we might have gotten to the point where Lian could have been reintroduced.

3 Likes

Iā€™m still hopeful once they finally resolve the last of this HiC nonsense. The Titans stuff in Rebirth was good for Roy, and Rebirth RHATO addressed a lot of my complaints with New 52 RHATO.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not exactly sure why, but this book feels very ā€œof itā€™s timeā€ in a way that I didnā€™t notice in some other comics Iā€™ve read. Something about the book screams late 2000s- early 2010s. Maybe itā€™s Royā€™s general aesthetic. Maybe itā€™s the way the women are written/drawn.

3 Likes

That cap remains a point of controversy. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I like the cap.

2 Likes

Okay, little late, but finished re-reading these seven issues. So, pros and cons time.

PROS:

• Like mentioned, as flawed as these issues can be, this is definitely the best takes on Roy, Kori and Jason in years. Almost from the beginning, I had fun with their dynamic together.

• This series is really the first in DCā€™s turn in making Killer Croc a more sympathetic, well-rounded character, with him being Roy Harperā€™s sponsor in beating his addiction, and I LOVE that.

• Kenneth Rocafort is a BEAST of an artist. He draws incredible action, beautifully complicated and elaborate locales and fantasy elements, and can even do some great emotional acting when called for it.

CONS:

• As I mentioned, the All-Caste/Untitled stuff isā€¦confusing, to say the least. In case you needed a reminder that Lobdell was one of the leading X-Men writers of the 90s, this definitely proves it. Itā€™s not that itā€™s a BAD idea ā€“ a group of immortal cavemen that were touched by an ancient, primordial evil that they swear to battle? Thatā€™s kinda cool, but itā€™s kind of hurriedly explained; and while itā€™s great to give Jason a bigger purpose than just trolling the Bat-Family with bullets and costume changes, I wonder if itā€™s maybe a little too fantastical for Jason to be part of.

• The other sort of main villain in these issues, Crux, was also a dud. Again, interesting hook, but not really enough to make him feel very interesting and just feels like a B-plot to the overall story. Whatā€™s funny is that I remember reading in interviews that at one point Lobdell was considering adding Crux to the team and while I think something interesting could be done with the character, I donā€™t think that would have worked with this team.

2 Likes