[RR: Red Hood 1] Under the Hood, Pt. 1: May 25-June 7

I agree with you about UtH being Hush done right.

Yeah, there is a lack of payoff here. It’s odd that it’s never referenced again.

A habit he continues to this day. At this point it would seem strange for him not to wear one under his hood.

I’d have to say not very familiar and it’s not just Winick who has this problem. A lot of writer’s also seemingly lack basic knowledge of the character’s history beyond Death in the Family.

I don’t see him as the final word on Jason either. IF some other writers had seriously followed up on what Winick did here then I might have but as it stands no one followed through on the idea of Jason as a competent and very dangerous adversary for Batman or even as a solo anti-hero type. I feel they wasted the opportunity set up here by opting to default back to the “Jason was a bad Robin” mentality.

3 Likes

Agreed. UTH wasn’t perfect but it introduced a really interesting concept, and then it was just totally squandered.

3 Likes

I would have even enjoyed seeing seeing the concept being built up from the foundation Winick laid here at the time.

3 Likes

Same here. We got a shade of that in Rebirth RHATO, but I’d have really loved to see a full exploration of antihero/antivillain crime lord Jason.

4 Likes

I’m going to guess Lobdell was doing an homage to Winick’s idea with that. His work with Jason is peppered with references to Jason’s history. He’s not always the best writer but I do think he has an understanding and awareness of the character’s history and that he mines it.

And a full on exploration of Jason as a crime lord would still be a fun ride now that the sour taste in my mouth left behind by later stories has subsided.

4 Likes

I definitely think he was. I was really pleased to see him making all those references to Jason’s continuity in Rebirth… I don’t feel like he did a lot of that in the New 52, and I recall him getting criticized on it, but I give him full credit for taking that to heart, doing the reading, and then showing his work.

Would that DC would hire me. Agreed. I’d love to see them put Genevieve Valentine or Christopher Priest on it, especially.

4 Likes

He’s not always the best writer but there is that. He did reference Jason and Bullock’s past partnership in Death of the Family and there was also a reference to Jason having saved Superman once though.

3 Likes

Yup! Plus the rewrite of Batman and Jason meeting in Rebirth (which I really liked) and the updating of the Ma Gunn stuff (which I liked up until the grandmother thing). He’s also the only one I’ve seen bring up Catherine Todd’s struggle with addiction, which Winick never did despite it being very relevant.

2 Likes

I’d be really interested to see Valentine on that.

2 Likes

Her Catwoman run had so many elements of what a good Red Hood run could be. Hell, Black Mask was even in it. I think she’d really nail it.

4 Likes

I wonder why Winick never did bring it up. Seems odd to have left it out.

3 Likes

I really enjoyed that run.

2 Likes

My honest personal theory is that he had no idea about it. I’ve mentioned a few times that I’m pretty sure Winick hadn’t read any of Jason’s Robin stuff since the '80s, and may not have even read some of it at all, and that’s one of several reasons I suspect it. The only stuff he ever references from that time period is the stuff everyone knows that got referenced in a bunch of more recent comics he might have read.

3 Likes

Could be. To be honest I don’t believe very many writers have bothered to go back and read the earlier Jason Todd stuff. We were just talking about later writers mining the rich history of the JSA left by previous ones over at the JSA Book Club earlier and the same applies with Jason. His character is not as old of course but he still has a rich history that could be mined. Writers just aren’t doing so except for a very small part of it.

3 Likes

Good thing I provided those writers with a 15-week reading guide then. Get on it! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

So, I read this. I liked it and stuff. I can’t wait to see where they’re going with this Red Hood character. He’s got potential, I tell ya.

FYI, I, also, wear a double mask in real life. Who doesn’t?

4 Likes

Good read I forgot how funny Jason can be. The 2 Hush ones are good, but I’m with y’all on UtH being better than Hush. Hush is not bad or anything but I just felt like it was a lesser LH. I actually think the spin with the riddler in the movie was better than the comic. I’m not a fan of the Crow Flies art or story, don’t feel like ripping into it so I’ll just leave it at that. #635 where things start to get good. I love seeing Bruce and Dick working together, I wish they would put out a run with them again. I miss the lighter side of Batman that he brings out. Love the small talk between Jason and Onyx as well, I totally forgot about her. Jason comes back super cool and it’s great to see batman get a worthy opponent. If I was to nit pic on anything it would just be I don’t care for the start with a cliff hanger and then back stepping, just start the story where it begins. As sweet as it was to see Jason clowning out with the crowbar, after 2 hits Jokers brain would start to swell up and head die. It’s comics though and those are just little nit pics. Great story Jason kicks butt and looking forward to OYL. :badassjasontodd_ttns: :nightwinging_ttns: :test_tube: :bow_and_arrow:

1 Like

Some panels I liked:

Hood 1
Would like a whole new run with them at this stage.

Superhero landing: Bad on the knees :joy:

Hood 3
:joy:

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hush violates an important rule: never tease a better twist than the actual one you’re giving. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Wow, you finally put into words why Hush never quite worked for me. Nicely done.

1 Like