Rounding Up the Easter Eggs in The Suicide Squad (SPOILERS!)

Raise your hand if you’ve seen The Suicide Squad . Now raise your hand if you’ve already seen it multiple times. Wasn’t that amazing? James Gunn had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Of course, if you know me then you know there was another reason I was sitting so far forward. I was carefully looking at every nametag, every dossier, and listening for every name and reference, trying to find as many DC Universe Easter eggs as I could—and boy, there were a lot! We’ve rounded them all up here for you, so get comfortable and make sure there’s no one suspicious watching you. We all know how Amanda Waller can get when it comes to spilling her secrets…

• The first Easter egg is probably the most important one. The doctor who implants the bomb in Savant’s neck in the movie’s opening scene is played by John Ostrander, a comic book legend who can be considered the father of the Suicide Squad. Ostrander’s 1987 relaunch of the Suicide Squad introduced many iconic concepts, from Amanda Waller, to her signature detonation devices, to the squad’s villainous roster and more. During Ostrander’s iconic run, he collaborated with his wife Kim Yale and artist Luke McDonnell to create some of Task Force X’s most enduring stories. If it wasn’t for Ostrander, we wouldn’t be watching this movie, so it’s only fitting that he shows up here right at the very beginning.

• Another Ostrander related Easter egg! His character is called Fitzgibbon, a name that appears in every James Gunn movie. Gunn does this to pay tribute to a friend of his named Larry Fitzgibbon.

To see a full round up of all the easter eggs we could find in The Suicide Squad, head on over to DC Comics!

Did we miss any easter eggs? Let us know in the comments! :point_down:

11 Likes

This is a fun list! :sunglasses: :+1:

The only other one that I could think of that I did not see is from the one line in how the name Suicide Squad was a terrible name that I think was based off this panel. :clark_hv_4:

4 Likes

I’m so bad a spotting Easter Eggs :joy:

3 Likes

Wonderful to see Ostrander get some love.

I think Harley’s, “I had a case of road rage” line might be a reference to this classic episode

5 Likes

The staff member
Who knocks out
Amanda
Is Flo Crawley
Who is in the comics

Flo_Crawley_cropped

5 Likes

Amanda Waller mentions she is gonna play golf with Senator Cray

2 Likes

Couldn’t have also been from the BoP movie?

2 Likes

yeah she used to work with Oracle, which means there is third barbra Gordon adjacent character in this movie (other two are harley and savant)

3 Likes

I blocked that film from my mind but definitely lol. I kinda think Gunn said EFF IT and did a soft reboot to be honest.

2 Likes

This is a good place to ask this because I swear I’ve seen a still from this movie before but I can’t find the comic panel/cover that I am thinking of. I’m spoil blur it because it deals with a character’s death.

After Boomerang dies the camera pans over him and it is just his hand sticking out of the ground with a boomerang in it. I swear this was a panel or a cover somewhere. I think Blackest Night related but I have no idea because I haven’t been able to find it.

I thought it was an Easter Egg but now I am doubting myself. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Might be in the spoilers thread

2 Likes

Rick Flag’s last words
after being stabbed through his heart.

“Peacemaker, what a joke,”

May be a reference to the Watchmen character

The Comedian
Who thought the world was a joke

And
Who is based on the
Charlton character
Peacemaker

5 Likes

maybe

2 Likes

Good eye @Bukdiah. :+1: :00_harlivy: :cobb_squad: :harleys_crew:

4 Likes

very nice chase

2 Likes

Bloodsport using a rope grappling and his hands to climb up the side of a building is likely a reference to the old Batman live-action tv show. The man’s helmet is also a reference to Xenomorphs. the iconic alien has crossed over with BOTH batman and superman…well his body armor and telescoping weapons is somewhat reminiscent of Yatuja aka The Preditor another iconic alien monster batman (the huntress,) and superman have both tangled with.

1 Like