Rotten Tomatoes

If you haven’t heard, aquaman got a 68% on rotten Tomatoes. It is a “fresh” rating but do you think a 68% is a good score on a college exam? I would consider it barely passing. Anyways, why does rotten Tomatoes give such low scores to DCEU movies? Yes, I agree the marvel films are better, but rotten Tomatoes literally TANKS the scores of DCEU movies (BVS, SS, and JL all got less than 45% on RT). The DCEU movies aren’t that bad. And MOS got 55% yet I thought it was really good.

Here is my opinion: RT LOVES kindhearted, happy, and sweet movies. So anything Disney pretty much makes. And they HATE dark movies, which is what the DCEU is. The MCU movies have never gotten a rotten score. Even movies that I believe were worse than BVS got above a 60%. Now there are some exceptions to my “RT hates dark” theory. The Dark Knight Trilogy got awesome scores on RT but those movies transcend the superhero genre. They are often considered the best movies (period) ever made. So 85% is kinda low for the greatest movies ever made. Also, RT is very liberal. See WW and Black Panther for proof. I’m sure you can find conservative movies that are good but RT gave them terrible ratings. Again, just my opinion. Thoughts? Feedback? Looking for others thoughts about this.

1 Like

Critics have a biased against DC. Stop listening to them!

6 Likes

There’s no bias. They just didn’t like them. I’m not a huge fan of the Snyder movies but I’m cool with people that are. I’m a fan of the Arrowverse and I know that’s not for everyone.

At the end of the day, everyone has an opinion and they’re entitled to it. It’s interesting to hear other takes but it’s just that, someone’s take. Enjoy what you enjoy and don’t worry about what others think.

4 Likes

imo i dont pay any attention to all these reviews because their not paying for my ticket at all im using my own personal money so FUK Rotten Tomatoes until they start paying for my movie tickets they can take their 68% and shove it because until they pay for my ticket i can careless about their reviews and plus i think the only DC movie that gave a grear review was superman 1978 i think it was a 97 or 98% and that was it they wouldnt know a good movie even if it slapped them across the face dont worry about them bud as long as you like it and enjoy it thats all that matters

2 Likes

I think critics in general are out of touch when it comes to popular opinion. That being said I think dc is just not for everyone. The dc universe is dark like you said and I think general audiences prefer their superheromovies in the cookie cutter Disney variety. I think there is clear marvel bias when it comes to some media outlets and there is a mob mentality that occurs.

4 Likes

Critics like Last Jedi. So I have up on Rotten Tomatoes critic score. IMDB is better.

5 Likes

I haven’t seen the movie but f*ck Rotten Tomatoes. I hate “professional critics” and their snobby asses.

4 Likes

I hate Rotten Tomatoes :-1: Not just because I’m a petty fan who can’t stand opposing views, but because Rotten Tomatoes represents so much worse than that.

Rotten Tomatoes is built upon the idea that regular people, like you and me, are dumb viewers who have poor taste in movies, so we must rely on these couple hundred or so expert professional critics to educate us on what’s good or bad. That’s why they promote their critics’ ratings all over the place as the main attraction, while largely ignoring/downplaying the audience ratings, which are almost always drastically different from the critics’ ratings.

2 Likes

Just got back from watching Aquaman. Go see it on the biggest screen possible. The movie is a visual masterpiece. Some of the dialogue was cringe worthy, but not enough to pull you out of the movie. I don’t watch Marvel movies, so I can’t make any comparisons. Big, big win for DC.

5 Likes

Except for animated family cbm films, They are biased against cbm in general and not just DC. Yeah many critics give big passing scores to MCU films but read the “rotten” ones and even some of the fresh ones and you’ll see that the genre is seen as an overrated joke and nothing more than popcorn movies.

2 Likes

LIKE if you’re here because you just saw Aquaman…which by the way was f’n awesome. Everything about it was good. Visuals were amazing too

2 Likes

Yes, Critics does have a biased against DC. Look at the Collider guy! He whined about an octopus playing drums in Aquaman and said nothing when an ant did it in Ant Man and the Wasp.

3 Likes

I agree with your opinion.Making the same ole Marvel movies will eventually grow tired. I believe this is better than a lot of Marvel Movies. I guarantee if this movie opened with a a Marvel logo instead of DC it would be sitting around 90% on RT.

2 Likes

Personally I don’t think their opinion is any better than mine, because it is just that an opinion

2 Likes

Although it is nice to have a fresh Rotten Tomatoes score, the Aggregate site is not good for the art of cinema. Society in America is now endorsing a website that create a forum where a small group of people can now dictate what you should and should not see and what is worse is that whomever controls that aristocracy also controls the marketplace. It doesn’t seem ethical at all.

1 Like
  1. Rotten Tomatoes isn’t a review site, but rather an aggregator. To that end, they don’t technically score movies. Having said that…

2. How Rotten Tomatoes aggregates reviews is questionable. Not all movies have the same number of reviews counted against the average, and there is no real consistency about “rotten” reviews. Sometimes a review that is 3/5 is counted as fresh, while other times it is counted as rotten. The editors don’t have a clear rubric, and that puts into question any conclusions about “fresh” or “rotten.”

3. I don’t believe there is an anti-DCEU conspiracy, but human psychology is such that people tend to follow the herd. If enough people start hating on DCEU movies, then it becomes the norm, even if there are people who disagree privately. The phenomenon is called group think, and often leads to people adopting an “us versus them” mentality, even if it is not beneficial. Anything seen as too different from the group identity gets met with hostility.

2 Likes

Rotten tomatoes is pretty meaningless I think infinity war was around 80% for example

I don’t agree with a lot of their scores at times. I feel at times their scores over-inflate certain movies, and bring down others that don’t deserve it. But you have to remember, Rotten Tomatoes is not necessarily giving their own personal opinion on films, they are only taking all the other reviews written by other people, and averaging the reviews out, good and bad, into a number. People take that as a definitive stance on a film and it’s really not. It really means, that 68% of the critics enjoyed this movie and 32% thought it was bad. So, instead of thinking about it as like a test score, think of it as by majority vote, the film is considered to be “Good”, and by majority vote “Transformers: The Last Knight” is a trash fire.

2 Likes

And to add a few more points: The critics of Rotten Tomatoes represent a very narrow demographic. There are only a few hundred of them total, so they’re not a big group relative to the millions of people who watch movies. Around 4 out of 5 of them are men, which means women are hardly fairly represented. They’re older on average than most movie goers. They’re largely white. And it’s fair to point out that they tend to be liberal politically, since there’s so many instances where they’re judging movies entirely on the political message of the movie over every other aspect. Most of them are journalists, like newspaper writers and bloggers. Here’s where you should ask, wait, why are we acting like a bunch of newspaper employees are actually the best movie experts around to be judging movies? They’re not even filmmakers! How many critics have written or directed their own movies? You wonder why critics are so often seem to have the same opinion and it’s utterly out of touch with most of the general audience. This is why. Critics are not a diverse group of people at all.

4 Likes

Ok after reading most ppls replies here’s what I think:

1. Yes. Rotten Tomatoes is an aggregator review site and is not responsible for bad reviews. I’m saying how critics in general have a bias against darker movies (anything dc)

2. I don’t like the concept of rotten Tomatoes at all. I think a lot of people like the marvel movies and hate dc movies because of RT. If they walked out of BVS and thought it was a good movie but then saw the RT score, the viewer thinks “RT gathers critics opinions, and critics are smart. If I don’t agree with them then I am stupid.” Then they think BVS is stupid even though they enjoyed it. I think it undermines personal views of viewers. Different people will fall in love with different things. I trust sites like IMDB bcs they have a lot of reviews from different groups of people. Critics are all snobs who act high class and have way to much influence over personal opinion.

So whether or not you like DC or Marvel movies, cheers to you. Personal opinion, I’ll drink to that :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes