Robin Questions

What are everyone’s thoughts on Damian Wayne no longer being Robin, and Tim Drake once again becoming Robin?

3 Likes

I’m not too fond of what the Teen Titans book has done with Damian’s character since Percy left the series. I also don’t like the idea of having Tim Drake become Robin again. I know people did not like him as Red Robin or Drake, but DC should still try to come up with something. He’s grown past Robin, imo. I’d be more than interested to hear what you all think. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

No matter what DC will never let Tim stay more than Robin. He will always come back.

2 Likes

Damian is my Robin. Let Damian be Robin. They should find some way to help Tim grow that isn’t completely unlikeable. But Damian is awesome and needs to be the Robin. He just needs a better writer than the current TT writer who doesn’t get the character or the Titans at all.

2 Likes

I don’t mind Damian moving on to find his own identity, but I don’t like how it was done. This recent run in TT destroyed years of character change Damian has had. He has grown so much and it was destroyed with him killing Brother Blood. I hope they find some way to fix that situation and if Damian wants to be something else, let him. I just wish they had let him do it in that way he was growing to be, not by letting him fall back to who he used to be.

I feel like Red Robin is a great identity for Tim. I wasn’t a fan of Drake, but it was something new. I feel like it was taken back when everyone saw how much the fans hated it. But I think Tim as Red Robin is a great place for him. He isn’t the full Robin at Bruce’s side, but he’ll be there in seconds when he’s needed. And he has his own team, and his own way of doing things. He can grow a lot with Young Justice if DC lets him. Hopefully, he’ll be more than just Robin.

4 Likes

Damian is a cool character but rarely worked as Batman’s partner. He was perfect as Dick Grayson’s Robin but doesn’t pair as well with Bruce, which is why most Bat-writers have steered clear of using him.

Tim on the other hand lost something by not being Robin anymore. Tim was the first Robin who was both a great complement to Bruce and a strong solo character. Putting him back in the Robin role allows the character to do both of those things. He stops being redundant.

3 Likes

Love that Tim is back as Robin!

1 Like

Damian’s my favorite Robin, so I’m a little bummed he’s not Robin anymore.

3 Likes

I have an undying hatred for Damian Wayne. He’s a vicious, entitled little incompetent, and every effort by Dick Grayson to stump for him never serves to make Damian look better. It just serves to make Dick look worse.

And I know people like to chalk Damian’s numerous and considerable disqualifying defects up to bad writing, but that’s just it. Peter Tomasi’s the only one who can dependably write Damian as anything other than an ingrown toenail. DC has had a mountain of writers at their disposal. If all of them failed for ONLY ONE to succeed in main continuity, then I’m pretty sure the writers aren’t the problem.

Damian Wayne has tarnished Grant Morrison’s legacy for me. Damian Wayne is constitutionally incapable of communication without hurting the person with whom he is attempting to communicate. Any universe in which Damian Wayne breathes is a universe in which Bruce Wayne failed. And a Batman who was really prepared for everything would have had a vasectomy.

With all of this being said… Even I’m not happy with how this went down.

I’m not happy because Damian is the only Robin to actually retire. Dick, Jason, Tim, and Steph all either got fired or crowbar’d. Which just… grates, really.

I’m not happy because putting the R on Tim Drake whenever the Powers-That-Be get antsy just smacks of cowardice. We not only need a new Robin, we need a new dynamic. The son figure beholden to The Almighty Bruce is just played out.

And I’m not happy… because this isn’t permanent. The root of all this is Damian’s guilt over Alfred’s death and his feelings of responsibility. He’ll get a You-Need-To-Learn-To-Forgive-Yourself arc (most likely in Detective Comics, which, HEY LOOK WHO’S WRITING THAT RIGHT NOW!), and he’ll be back in the R like this never happened. If Bruce can find it in him to forgive Jason for being a one-man firing squad, he’ll forgive Damian for running his own Gitmo. This is the long way 'round for post-Tom King mop up. It takes a while. He’ll be Robin again next year.

But y’know what? I’ll take a year. Y’all have had the last eleven years, just give me enough time for the headache to go away.

2 Likes

Dick Grayson is definately my favorite to be robin but damian is my favorite as robin

1 Like

Dick left the robin mantle to become his own man. Jason left it because he died . Damian became robin because Tim was an equal to Dick. Tim never wanted not be robin. Unlike Dick and Jason who grew as characters and became bad a## , Tim’s time as robin was prematurely ended. He never got a proper ending like the other robins. Instead he becomes red robin which was kinda cool but not as cool as Nightwing and Red hood.Yet, he never became more than the third robin. I feel like DC realized there mistake and try correcting it by making him " drake " which lets be honest that was horrible. I hope when Tim’s time as robin comes to an end , he will have a proper ending and become a bad a## hero like nightwing and red hood.

2 Likes

I think he brainwashed Brother Blood recently in the last TT comic to come out on DCU.

1 Like

I love Super Sons Damian and if someone could incorporate that version into the Batfam then I would be happy. I hate what Teen Titans has done to him. In the end, he’s a little boy and they have had him act in an unforgivable manner. He was always messed up by his upbringing but this storyline turned him into a full on sociopath. I also think the Batbooks ignoring his existence made things worse. The same with Wally, his actions will need much more than some “you learned your lesson” 1 issue resolution. I think TT destroyed that character for a long time. Super Sons was one of my favorite books and what DC did to those two kids is probably (in my opinion) their biggest mistreatment of a character in a long, long time. Even considering what King did to Wally, which I also hate.
I also think Bendis did serious damage to Tim but it can be ignored pretty easily. I think he deserves a new identity but I don’t think DC is currently equipped to handle it successfully so Red Robin would be good for now.
There’s bad writing and unintended missteps in direction all the time in comics, but I think DC is currently in an era that is actively harming the legacy of many characters. Which is ironic since legacy has been one of their buzzwords for awhile now.

1 Like

I really liked that they showed how much pain Damian was in since Alfreds death. It was a really cool character developing moment. I just hope he doesn’t stay gone as Robin too long. Tim already had his run as Robin in my opinion and making him Robin again is just back tracking.

3 Likes

They need to let Tim Move on NIGHTWING Style! … sure Red Robin was just a “Grad-school Robin”… and “DRAKE” was Just HORRIBLE! … but they need to give him proper attention and give him an ACTUAL well thought storyline to accommodate this. Vs. Rushing a change because NO ONE apparently knows what to do with Him!

2 Likes

It’s a mixed bag for me. Tim is probably my favorite Robin, but I wish they would let him move on and become more of his own hero/person. I don’t want him being JUST a sidekick. I was even really enjoying him in the Young Justice run and his new persona of Drake before it got cancelled. So it’s sad to see the character regress for a bit. I’d be glad he’d have a bit more prominent role in the universe, I just wish it was different. I like Damian a lot as Robin as well. I think that’s where he fits best for the moment until he can take on the mantel of Batman. I think his dynamic with Bruce is nice and his time as Robin has led to some really cool new series like Supersons. Mixed bag all around. More sad than happy.

2 Likes

That’s a pipe dream that’s never gonna happen. They are not gonna take the Robin mantle from Damian, especially if it means giving it to Tim. Even if it’s for a short time Damian will be back as Robin again as soon as possible. Personally, I despise Damian, he is the farthest cry from what Robin represents and therefore should not be. Tim has never been anything more than a perpetual Robin and I have no problem with him being the last Robbin but the problem is now that just buy Damian’s existence he is not. He deserve a more fleshed out character so that he can be more than just another Robin. And as for Damian, the Robin mantle deserves someone who can bring the type of character that it actually represents - a true contrast to Batman which hasn’t been the case since Grayson held it. No character to hold the mantle after Grayson has brought that light-hearted nature to truly contrast Batman.

1 Like

:raised_hands:

1 Like