Road to 5G begins in May! Everything you need to know!

Green Lantern is, IMO, nearly impossible to reboot. It is so expansive and complex that a hard reboot would require ignoring most of the Corp. It would take a heck of a lot longer than 5 years to reestablish everyone.

3 Likes

No thatā€™s ENTIRELY Valid. My hope with 5G is that they took that complaint and said ā€œLetā€™s be super clear about what does matter and what did happen.ā€

2 Likes

I consider Far Sector a sort of reboot. It is taking to franchise in a new direction that combines Morrisonā€™s weird sci-fi with a youthful, adventurous spin. Itā€™s been AMAZING and if that is what the next 4 years of Green Lantern Looks like, I am DOWN.

Iā€™m not. Green Lantern somehow survived Flashpoint mostly untouched. Stories just kept on as if nothing really happened. Same with Infinite Crisis. Point is, GL hasnā€™t gone through the reboot ringer as hard as everyone else since 1986 (even then the excellent Alan Moore stories seemed to stay mostly in place). Geoff Johns work was excellent. Nobody is going to pull of what he did. GL is about a whole lot more than just the one Corp.

If you reset it all you lose everything that has made GL great. Sinestro Corp War needs to not be forgotten for sure.

Before New 52 one of my favorite comics was JSA by Johns. The characters were forgotten or retooled as completely different characters on a new earth. It wasā€¦not good.

Wally West, Donna Troy, Conner Hawke, Garth, etc. no longer existed.

DCā€™s strongest selling point (for me) isnā€™t itā€™s heroes. These reboots sacrifice History. That history is my favorite character.

4 Likes

@Kon-El fortunately Green Lantern can be rebooted but have a clear continuity timeline (with every thing else in it) with 5G

1 Like

Yeah. Iā€™m not into that. Maybe others are. Iā€™m obviously not the target audience anymore. Iā€™ve been disappointed with the last three ā€œreboots.ā€ Even being so disappointed with New 52 that I completely quit reading mainstream comics for a few years. With that track record Iā€™m not sure it even makes sense for me to not be highly skeptical about this.

Thanks for this thread - very informative! So the classic versions of the characters will only be told through Black Label books, but those same Black Label books wonā€™t be available to read via DC Universe (even after a year has elapsed)?

1 Like

Welcome back!

1 Like

That is pure speculation or rumor at this point. Weā€™ve had no official word about this being the way they are going to do things. And with DiDio having been fired things might change even further in the coming months.

5 Likes

Cool, thatā€™s good to hear - thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like