RIP John Paul Leon, Artist of STATIC, BATMAN: CREATURE OF THE NIGHT

John Paul Leon’s family announced that the titanic Milestone, DC, and Marvel has passed away, from a quick-onset illness. He was only 49.

Leon was one of the essential architects of the Milestone universe, with his definitive artistic work on Static and Shadow Cabinet. Personally, I’ll always be haunted by his deeply affecting work on Batman: Creature of the Night, and the “Tights” story told in two issues of Animal Man. One of the most unique talents in the industry, gone far too soon. One of his last published works is in our own “Let Them Live” collection, and he has a Batman/Catwoman special by Tom King which will now be released posthumously.

I’ve compiled a chronological DCUI accessible reading list for those who’d like to revisit his work, or get to know it for the first time.

6 Likes

I am not familiar with his work, but I am very sorry to hear of his passing.

2 Likes

I’d be remiss not to point out Leon’s exquisite work in Crimes of Passion as well, illustrating the torrid love story between The Question and his problematic home of Hub City.

4 Likes

I heard this. Very sad.
Wishing the best to his family and may his legacy to the comcis world and beyond live on.

3 Likes

How sad, I’m so very sorry to hear that. He was such a talented artist. :disappointed:

2 Likes

Yeah, I think this guy has the potential of being legendary. I gasped when I saw he had passed. Really sad.

2 Likes

Last time I felt this way was when we lost Darwyn Cooke in 2016. It just felt like there was so much more for him to do.

1 Like

Definitely. So many potential projects just…gone.

2 Likes

With Milestone relaunching this year, you just know he had to be talking to people about returning to Static again. The fact that we have to go on without him, and McDuffie… it’ll still be worth doing, but it won’t be the same.

2 Likes