Ric Grayson Theory

So, I’ve long maintained that ‘Ric’ is actually a clone of some sort because do you really think BATMAN would let his eldest son out of his sight if he was SHOT IN THE HEAD?! No, five bucks says he’s got him squirrelled away in a super secret hidden section of the Batcave, or the Fortress of Solitude. Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if he somehow found a way to Themiscyra if it meant saving Dick’s life.

Then, I got another idea. Anyone remember the Wedding Prequel Comic: Nightwing vs Hush? And how Hush now has Dick’s face? …Do you see where I’m coming from? How does he have amnesia? His brain was probably messed with and Alfred and Barbara thought he was Dick because Bruce didn’t tell them.

Granted, I haven’t read the Nightwing series since he got shot so this could be complete baloney, but it seems more plausible than Dick just turning his back on everything and being an ass.

Thoughts?

I’m reading the series and I don’t think it’s Hush, Ric has shown muscle memory when it comes to fighting, but even if Hush can equal Dick in fighting skill( which imo he can’t ), Ric has the same muscle memory when it comes to acrobatics, which Tommy Elliot definitely can’t duplicate. I posted a theory awhile back suggesting Bruce has secretly backed up Dick’s mind, similar to the way he backed up his own to use in cooperation with his cloning machine for when the day comes he can’t be Batman anymore; backing his memory and experiences into a “yes father I shall become a bat” moment clone. I think Bruce has been secretly backing up his closet allies’ minds as well. The question presented in that scenario would be why has he waited to back up his memories. But “Ric” has made it clear, at present time, he’s happy not remembering his time as a crime fighter. But soon enough we shall know if either of our theories are correct or not, because there are plans to bring back Nightwing proper early next year in the Batman title​:four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

I’ve thought about this possibility, but Ric seems to have Dick’s childhood (circus) memories and his Nightwing reflexes/abilities. (Only his memories after his parents’ deaths are gone. Holy selective sniping, Batman!) Hush/Tommy wouldn’t have either without a ridiculously convoluted or completely unaddressed reason.

1 Like

Babs pulled the computer spider (dark web thing) out of Dick after it downloaded his brain, so Bats could totally have Dick’s memories ready to be uploaded or whatnot.

2 Likes

That’s right! That could explain how Bruce would get them. And after Jason and Damian dying, and Tim “dying”, I’d bet Bruce decided to back them all up. But if that isn’t the plan, I smell a story DC! Especially given Batman’s more recent receptive attitude towards working with teams less begrudgingly. Perhaps the story could be spun into Bruce having the machine ready with all his allies’ ready to be cloned for the future, and someone like Ra’s gets ahold of it, clones them all first, and makes them League of Shadows members who The Bat Family has to face down in what can be called, “The Duality Of Mirrors” arc​:four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes