Rewatching all DC Films from 1978 to Present

I’m going through all movies based on DC comics, starting with Superman: The Movie. So far I’ve watched the following:

Superman: The Movie
Superman II
Swamp Thing
Superman III
Supergirl
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
The Spirit (1987)
Return of Swamp Thing

My thoughts so far: Louis Jourdan was wasted as the villain in both Swamp Thing movies. He played a good villain but deserved better scripts and direction. I was impressed with how good the Swamp Thing costume looked, especially in the sequel.

Superman: The Movie and Superman II were both good and Superman IV was better than I thought it would be. It did a decent job of blending humor with action. Superman III was lousy and Supergirl was awful.

The Spirit would have been a fun series back in the mid/late 80s and it’s a shame it didn’t get picked up.

I’m looking forward to the Batman movies that are next on my list and believe the worst is behind me. It’s been a LOT of Krypton/Metropolis and the swamp so far!

Any thoughts on the films I’ve already seen? Has anyone else done a project like this and has any suggestions or thoughts?

4 Likes

Don’t forget Batman: The Movie. It’s Adam West’s first Batman movie, the first DC movie and the first comic book based movie.

While not a movie and rather a movie serial, give The Adventures of Captain Marvel a whirl too. One of the best movie serials and if you liked Shazam!, it will allow you to slake your thirst for more cinematic adventures of The Big Red Cheese.

2 Likes

Supergirl might just be one of the 10 worst films of all time (especially when you factor in budget, top 5)

1 Like

Supergirl is a faulty movie for sure, but one of the ten worst ever?

There’s alot of cinematic excrement in the world unfortunately. Supergirl is a masterpiece compared to many of them.