RETURN of the DC COMIC BOOK LIBRARY CHALLENGE - 2024 EDITION

Here are some answers:

1. Ultra titles count. The bonus is just a fun addition. If you use a collected edition just make sure its total hits whatever the challenge called for.
  2. The only challenges that don’t state the number of issues to read are the create your own and the the Bat that isn’t a man, in the Bat case yes it means read all of the issues in a comic series. In the other case, it depends what you create for yourself.
  3. This one is up to you! Some people just post as they meet a challenge, some make a post to capture their completed list, and some are extra like me and do both. One of the nice things about this is there really isn’t a wrong way to go about it since it is just for fun. :slight_smile: You keep track however makes you comfortable. But if you post individually, since this is a year long challenge, I would suggest at some point reminding people where you are at with the challenge. I look forward to seeing what you read!
7 Likes

Read a six issue miniseries.

I just read Gotham City: Year One and enjoyed it very much. It is basically a hard boiled detective novel or film noir starring private detective Slam Bradley. Tom King splashes some more mud on the Wayne family, but I’ll ignore that in my head canon.

@CassTheStreet Howard Chaykin is an acquired taste. I love his stuff, but I’m kind of a deviant. :wink:

5 Likes

I remember!! I also remember my utter failure at finishing anything I set out to do :joy_cat: Maybe 2024 will be our year!

Happy New Year! :hugs: :tada: I’m gonna try to do something!

6 Likes

It’s for fun, so however many you get done is perfect if it gets you to read different things. You got this!

6 Likes

I have read The Man of Steel 1-6 for the first challenge.

5 Likes

Nice! 1985 or 2018 one? What did you think of it. Superman titles are something I want to get more into this year. Aquaman and Superman are two personal goals for the year.

5 Likes

The 1985 one by John Byrne. I actually owned those comics back in the day.

5 Likes

What if there are a bunch of issues, but only 6 are on DCUI (like My Greatest Adventures)

4 Likes

It is whatever is in the comic book library that is available. When there is a read all of the title, it is what we have available to us. No you don’t have to try to find issues that aren’t in the library.

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks Cass!

4 Likes

For challenge number 2, I have read twelve issues featuring Black Orchid. She qualifies as an obscure female character.

4 Likes

Definitely agree that she fits the mold for obscure female. I heard of her only recently. She was in a movie for DC Super Hero Girls. I looked her up and definitely found her to be an interesting character that should be recognized more than she us…

4 Likes

For the third challenge, I have read Batman:Detective Comics The Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1. This was recommended to all of us by our most recent community member of the month, @millernumber1.

5 Likes

CHALLENGE #2:

For this challenge, I read issues #1-12 of Peter David’s SUEPRGIRL (1996). Is Supergirl an obscure character? Well, Kara Zor-El isn’t. But the Supergirl of this series, the pocket universe protoplasm hybrid with an earthborn angel known as Matrix and Linda Danvers, is mostly forgotten in modern mainstream continuity. An artifact of an era where Supergirl was allowed to be anytthing but Superman’s cousin. Although often strangely religious, this longest and weirdest run in Supergirl history is also the one that has its own clearest identity.

5 Likes

For CHALLENGE #3, I would like to invite @wrightline1.42741 to give me a comic recommendation.

6 Likes

It’s me! Thank you for giving your time to one of my recommendations! What did you think? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I admit your notification, came out of the blue, Q. As this thread and it’s challenges, were totally unknown to me. Give me a while to familiarize myself with what’s going on here, as well as a reading of all previous emails, reference the '24 challenge, and I’ll get back to you. FAIR ENOUGH?

7 Likes

I enjoyed this team. It was nice to see Clayface in a heroic role.

5 Likes

Fair enough!

4 Likes

DC89 pivots to Starfire channeling mode

Oh thank you the so very much amazing @CassTheStreet for naming a reading selection after me in this very most wonderful library challenge! You are the so very kind to do this!

:purple_heart: :hugs: :purple_heart: :hugs: :purple_heart: :hugs:

8 Likes