RETURN of the DC COMIC BOOK LIBRARY CHALLENGE - 2024 EDITION

On issue 68 now of “Teen Titans” 2003. I might actually get this done before the end of the month! Then I will be going full tilt at the rest of the different parts of the challenge. I didn’t think I could get through 100+ issues of a series, but I am doing it. I am going to give myself a huge pat on the back after this. I have proved to myself that I can read any of the series on DCUI after this.

5 Likes

Issue 75!!! This is with reading “Terror Titans” as it was part of the overall story and also finding and reading all the parts to the crossover “Deathtrap” that was in an annual, Titans, Teen Titans and Vigilante. Some of this was not available on here so I had to find copies of the Vigilante series since the Titans series was on here. Also had to hunt down the annual. I may be truly committed to this at this point, but luckily down to 25 issues and looks like no further crossovers. I hope I am right because man this is a long read for me.

2 Likes

I’m making my way to issue 20 of Superboy. Slowly but surely!

2 Likes

CHALLENGE #18:

For this challenge, I read CAMELOT 3000 #1-6. The most remarkable thing about this now over 40 year old series is the way it attempts to challenge traditional ideas of gender and sexuality, with one of the Knights of the Round Table experiencing sever dysphoria as he reincarnates into the body of a woman. We’ve come a long way in representation of this experience since then, but it’s a step in acknowledging the humanity of the trans experience.

4 Likes

Camelot’s a color?

2 Likes

(Click the hyperlink)

3 Likes

I’m really good at things, I promise :rofl:

I’m a bit slow :rofl:

2 Likes

Nice!! I love how you interpreted this one!! I was sure I was going to see a lot of Green for this one. Love that you went against that heavily.

@Jurisdiction, don’t feel bad I had a moment as well, but then realized I did say within the title and that obviously is. Love people being creative.

3 Likes

Wooo!! I’m gonna finish Superboy and then continue making my way through the list.

4 Likes

CHALLENGE #19:

• GOLDEN AGE: I read GREEN LANTERN #10, the only issue of the Golden Age Green Lantern run on DCUI. Even this one, I think, needs to be rescanned for, uh, quality purposes.

• SILVER AGE: I read MAD #1. Very interesting to see this series back when it was being published in the same format as every other EC Comic, before pivoting to the magazine market. It wasn’t necessarily very funny, but the core concept of genre parody was there.

• BRONZE AGE: I read Keith Giffen’s LEGION OF SUBSTITUTE HEROES SPECIAL #1. Often credited as the debut of Giffen’s signature comedic style in comics, I think it’s more notable for giving comics permission to be funny again at all after a super serious Bronze Age up to that point.

• MODERN AGE: I read BATMAN: THE HILL, to help myself brush up for the Shawn Martinbrough Red Hood series coming soon to DCUI. Shawn recently remarked how this was originally meant to be a 12 issue series that was condensed into a 60 page special, and I can only wonder how he and Priest would have developed this story about a superstition and cowardice-resistant criminal element in Gotham.

• NEW 52: I read STRANGE SPORTS STORIES, a Vertigo anthology from the early 2010s. I wish the sports were stranger, but have come to accept that the “strange” is a modifier on the “stories,” not the “sports.”

• REBIRTH: I read ASHNIKKO HUSK: A TALE FROM THE WEEDKILLER WASTEWOODS, mainly because I was curious what the heck that was. As it turns out, it’s a Ferngully-like tie-in to a hip hop concept album by a popular TikTok artist. Chase those celebrity collabs, DC. Worked for Muhammad Ali.

3 Likes

OK, @CassTheStreet, I’ve got a question for you. Regarding Challenge 20…

What if I already happen to be familiar with every DC character

2 Likes

I suppose I can afford to be more familiar with Jericho. You know what? I don’t think I’ve ever actually sat down and read The Judas Contract as an adult.

2 Likes

I would challenge you to read a character that you have a negative opinion of and try to understand why someone else may like that character. Umm like Flamebird hehe :wink:Also I would say when I say familiar, I would say one you haven’t read as many of their appearances.

Jericho is one I am starting to be interested in, as he has appeared frequently in Teen Titans (2003) but largely as not a good guy, so I would be interested in seeing him in the good guy role instead. I am on 85 of that series so I am approaching soon a move on to the other challenges place woo hoo!!

2 Likes

I don’t dislike Flamebird! I think Flamebird is great! It’s just weird to say she’s better than Cass!

3 Likes

I was kidding with you :wink: we all have our loves. I think we are allowed to love who we love as comic book characters. What may be weird to you, is my normal? I grew up on Flamebird. I’ve read more of her appearances. I have more of a relationship with that character. We are all drawn to different characters for our own reasons. I was more saying think of a character maybe you actually don’t like much and try to go from there. I just used Flamebird as a joke seriously.

2 Likes

You know, when you phrase it like that, it’s fair.

3 Likes

hard for anyone to compete with cassandra (in universe and out)

3 Likes

OMG!! I just finished TEEN TITANS (2003)!!! I officially have finished my recommendation from @AlexCarr! All 100 issues of it, tie ins from various cross overs, and the terror titans mini! Also Death: The High Cost of Living. So many issues I have now read. The beginning and ending were great, but there definitely stories in the middle that made me side eye the series. Most of Sean McKeever’s run left a bad taste in my mouth. Tomorrow I will figure out my next challenge since I know, since doing them in order, that this is the create my own challenge challenge. I will sleep on it and decide what is my next read, for now I am going to go to bed ecstatic that I proved to myself I can get through a massive series and it not take a year to do so. Woo hoo!

5 Likes

Wow! Nice job, @CassTheStreet!

2 Likes

Thanks, I ended up reading a lot of other issues on this challenge as there were several crossovers. Titans, Vigilante, and Red Robin all had crossovers. Titans more than once. Then the Terror Titans mini kinda told a part of the story so needed to go read it. Kept finding all these side reads attached to the main series. But now it is done!!! Onto creating my own challenge which is funny since I created all the challenges :wink:

1 Like