Retcons That Made You Go... "Huh?!"

@TheCosmicMoth @superby1 @moro @AlexanderKnox
Just wanted to acknowledge your tremendous discussion of the changing Clark/Superman identity emphasis through different incarnations of the character. While I grew up reading Silver Age comics once a month or so, I watched the Clark-heavy Adventures of Superman every weekday. I took a break from Superman from the 70’s until Smallville. So for me it’s almost always been Clark who becomes Superman when needed. He’s always a hero, unless his glasses are on and other people are watching.

Now that I’m reading comics again on DCUI I can see that the 50’s Adventures of Superman episodes were based on at least some 1940’s stories, so that might explain how George Reeves may have reflected a more Golden Agey take on the character. In fact I find Lois and Clark the New Adventures of Superman to be more consistent with the 50’s show in that way. I’ve started reading the John Byrne series and I haven’t found anything too disconcerting (through issue 4) yet.

6 Likes

Non of it is disconcerting. They’re all great comics; we the fans just like to over-analyze things. Byrne’s run is one of my favorites, regardless of any perceived flaws :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes

That’s an interesting take! Never heard that before. Makes me want to reexamine Lois and Clark.

I wouldn’t say there’s much in Byrne’s run that is disconcerting, either. I just disagree with his choice of re-focusing the character on Clark. Also, wasn’t crazy about some of the other decisions he makes in individual issues of his run (you might catch them when you get to them). But, I do like some of the choices he made (Lex as businessman and Lois grew to be a much stronger character Post-Byrne).

3 Likes

I never got the retcon of Alan Scott as a gay man

3 Likes

I think it would be interesting to have a villian be a human who is obsessed with learning about Krypton because he finds his own culture to be boring or something

4 Likes

I wasn’t going to link these because I wrote them a very long time ago and, though I still believe in the nuts and bolts of my arguments, I wouldn’t necessarily phrase these concepts the way I did 10-12 years ago. But… since I’ve come this far in the debate. Here are the links to the posts I wrote as Jekylhyde14 on Comicvine that made up my own Superman manifesto:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
And the VERY sarcastic Part 5

If you end up reading the comments and find I got into some heated exchanges, I apologize. I was on a crusade back then and it was the Internet…

1 Like

Same he was happily married for 25 years to Molly.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s quite so out there…

Superman in his first appearance:
Superman and Lois

Alan Scott in his first appearance:
Alan Scott Jimmy

4 Likes

Oh this is an interesting topic.

Ive gotten pretty used to it since I first noticed it and im not even entirely sure if it counts as a retcon, but id have to say just the Amazons and Paradise Island in general.

In the golden age their quasi greco roman with a bunch of sci fi elements like space faring kangaroos and swan planes.
In the silver age they bounced from space age technology to bronze era level society.

In the Bronze age it would change from writer to writer with them sometimes having super advanced spacecraft. Sometimes being skilled practioners of magic. Sometimes having none of that and relying on wooden ship and swords in the modern era. Sometimes all of those things at once.

Post crisis established they had no technology and magic beyond oracles until a writer established them having sorceresses. Then Jiminez establishing super advanced technology and Rucka combining that with warp gates.

And in the current continuity how technologically or magically or culturally advanced the Amazons culture is can often change from writer to writer.

Oh and as an aside, Perez establishing the island was called Paradise Island and the city capital of the Amazons being called Themyscira, only for editorial to misunderstand, leading to the island being named Themyscira due to a misunderstanding

5 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t read Teen Titans (though stuff I heard at the time wasn’t encouraging, like how he was allegedly macking on different girls), but when he popped up in the Bat-books I was getting, it never really felt like Tim.
Including Rebirth.

3 Likes

Its reading too much into a panal

3 Likes

That’s where some of the best retcons come from…

2 Likes

That is a man mourning his best friend and helping him get a proper burial.

5 Likes

Guess it all depends on how you look at it…

3 Likes

We did have a human obsessed with Krypton, Thomas Coville and his Cult of Rao in Season 3 of the CW Supergirl series.

4 Likes

A lot of older men who come out as gay later in life were married with wives and kids.

7 Likes

I’m turning Kryptonese. I think I’m turning Kryptonese. I really think so.

5 Likes

Yeah, but this is comics not real life

2 Likes

So what, nothing in comics can be realistic at all?

2 Likes

No

2 Likes