RESCHEDULED! Superman Space Age: Q&A with Mark Russel & Michael Allred! July 27, 2pm PT!

MA: Pre-crisis Superman was more innocent, more playful. Post crisis Superman was much more sophisticated and complex in characterizations and themes.

MR: What Mike said. And thank you!

6 Likes

MA: I revisited everything, put everything in my mental pot and stirred. But my most important influences would be Darwyn Cooke and Frank Quitely. My earliest inspirations that I pulled from were the Fleischer Brothers cartoons. Also, Iā€™m a huge fan of how Joe Schuster drew the original Superman.

MR: I was (obviously) most heavily influenced by the Crisis on Infinite Earths storyline, but I tried to include easter eggs and winks from pretty much every era and incarnation of Superman, including but not limited to the Siegel and Schuster Superman and the Superman movies of the 70s and 80s.

7 Likes

MA: I did a few warm-up drawings to figure out how I wanted to depict Superman. Iā€™d drew him in the Superman/Hullaballoo crossover and I wanted to refine it. But once I found the depiction I was happy with, I stuck through it throughout.

MR: We do see, briefly, different depictions of Superman in other universes in this story, and those are drawn from other runs and past iterations of Superman. But our Superman, the protagonist of our story, is as Mike said, the same throughout.

5 Likes

MR: No. I love working with both Steve Pugh and Mike Allred, but their art brings very different things out of me and, from the start, I wanted this to be a very different story. Superman vs Imperious Lex is a very specific chapter in Supermanā€™s story, whereas I wanted this to be more like his diary. The true confessions of Superman, compiled over a lifetime, and to be about how he grew from incidents like those.

6 Likes

Just read the book yesterday (my questionā€™s been sitting here for a while).

I definitely see the influences both of you mention, especially Darwyn Cooke and the Chris Reeve movies.

Love the book, and canā€™t wait for the next one. Thank you both for your time and awesome work :slightly_smiling_face:.

6 Likes

Thanks for answering our questions and providing us some insights.

4 Likes

MR: Hey here! :wave:

Well, I knew I was going to tie into Crisis on Infinite Earths, so I knew I had a hard out at 1985. And I wanted to use the Kennedy assassination and the nuclear standoff with the Soviets as a sort of genesis event. So the events of 1963 became a Rorschach test, not only for Superman, but for Bruce Wayne, Lex Luthor, Lois Lane, and Hal Jordan. I wanted to use that as the starting point where all those characters would start to become the people we know them as today.

6 Likes

Very interesting.

Exited to read it.
Thanks for answering :+1:

5 Likes

MR: One of his many awesome powers is that Superman doesnā€™t need to breathe. He just pretends to breathe so he doesnā€™t weird the rest of us out. And, no, his powers do not diminish (at least not radically) the further he gets from our sun because he is still powered by the light of all the little yellow suns you see in the night sky.

7 Likes

MA: Only in my earliest childhood memory do I remember seeing that show. It just never appeared to me later in a way that I could watch it, so no.

MR: My earliest Superman influences were the old Super Friends cartoons and the George Reeves TV show, which appeared in syndication after I got home from school. So you could say that Noel Neill was the foundation for Lois in my mind, and probably in a lot of other minds, too. And I always really liked George Reevesā€™ cool-as-a-cucumber take on Superman. So it would be impossible for me to say that I wasnā€™t influenced by that show in writing Superman all these many years later.

8 Likes

MR: First of all, thank you! Iā€™m glad you liked FF Life Story, and yes, this is a similar conceit because it is ultimately about how a superhero goes from being changed by the world to becoming the one who changes this world. In terms of how Mike and I worked together, we were pretty much in sync from the get-go. What discussions we have had about changing the script have been very tactical and boring. Things about which scenes should be splash pages and how many panels to cram into a page. And I donā€™t think Mike would disagree.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s all we have time for todayā€“thanks so much to everyone who joined us for this great Q&A! :00_superman1:

5 Likes

Dynamite! Intimate events like this make the DC Community a real value.

And to think the Community is free to use!!!

7 Likes

Love to see it!

3 Likes