[Renegade Robins: Damian Wayne] Week 4: Batman and Robin Reborn 3/23-4/4

Hello again Damian Fans and welcome to another session of the Damian Wayne Book Club here at Renegade Robins and I am happy to report that Damian is now officially Robin. So let’s get started shall we?

Holy flying Batmobile, Batman!

Couldn’t resist but I think we all would love a flying Batmobile. Looks a bit like the Beyond Batmobile

Son of Batman News

Batman Beyond #43:

Terry McGinnis has his memories back, and he’s ready to resume his duties as Batman in Neo-Gotham. But as soon as he comes home, so does Goliath, the Man-Bat pet of Damian Wayne. What adventure with the heir of the Demon lies in store for Batman Beyond?

Teen Titans #41:

At the gates of heaven itself, the Teen Titans must battle Djinn’s older brother Elias with the fate of the world hanging in the balance! But victory comes at a terrible cost—because one of the Teen Titans won’t be making it back!

Other Robin news

The 80th anniversary of Robin is still ongoing.

Reading for this week (8 issues):

Who was your favorite Villain in these issues?

• Mr. Toad
  • Professor Pyg
  • Firefly
  • Thomas Elliot
  • Black Mask

0 voters

Discussion Questions:

1. What do you think of the dynamic between Dick and Damian?

2. What I found appealing about this run of Batman and Robin was the world building surrounding Dick as Batman and Damian as Robin Morrison was doing. What was it you personally found appealing with this Batman and Robin run?

3. Damian told Dick he was a “pathetic impersonation” of Batman. Do you agree with Damian’s assessment? Why or why not.

4. What did you think of Damian going off on his own to face Pyg?

5. In Streets of Gotham we are introduced to Abuse, who would later become a friend to Damian. What did you think of him here and why do you suppose Damian decided to befriend him?

And that’s all for this week folks.

Please be sure to follow Renegade Robins: Jason Todd next week and see what adventures await the new Jason Todd.

And in two weeks here at Renegade Robins: Damian Wayne- Blackest Night and Batgirl

3 Likes

Yes, now we’re talking! The Dick/Damian Duo has arrived!

1 Like

Honestly this was my absolute favorite period for Batman comics but then again I am partial to other people besides Bruce being Batman. I seem to enjoy the character more whenever its someone else in the suit then I do when Bruce is in it.

2 Likes

I like when Dick is Batman. Not so much Jean-Paul Valley or Jim Gordon…

Yeah I didn’t care for those or for Tim’s time as Batman Beyond for that matter.

Dick, Terry, Thomas Wayne (both the Flashpoint version and the Earth 2 one) and the Dick Grayson of Earth 2 I liked though. I suppose it’s because these other characters feel different as Batman and that makes things more interesting to me.

1 Like

I think we were meant to dislike Azrael as Batman by design. Gordon was “okay,” I liked it because it was different and unexpected.

1 Like

I hated the Superheavy/Bloom storyline, but by this point, it should come as no surprise when I say, “I hate Scott Snyder’s ____ arc on Batman.” :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I loved it, of course. I think most readers did. One aspect that I think worked really well is that this Batman is one that has actually been Robin before, so he can mentor from an entirely different point of view.

The villains! Morrison is great at creating new characters, and Professor Pyg is quite simply awesome.

I’m that specific scene, even Dick realized that he was using his “parent voice,” which sounds just like Bruce but doesn’t work for him. It’s when he stops trying to be Bruce and just starts being Batman that he starts being successful , a theme demonstrated to us several times.

Well, that’s a Robin for ya!

He’s an intriguing character. I haven’t read the parts where Damian becomes friends with the guy, so I can’t judge the friendship, but, you know…he seems like a nice chap.

2 Likes
    I think it’s one not unlike brothers. Damian being the younger more impulsive one,dealing with the loss of his father. Dick being the older brother trying to be “the man of the house” now. He’s trying to deal with the loss of his “father” while helping Damian deal and trying to fill the cape on top of it all. They bicker like brothers.
  2. What I found appealing about this run of Batman and Robin was the world building surrounding Dick as Batman and Damian as Robin Morrison was doing. What was it you personally found appealing with this Batman and Robin run?
    I liked seeing Gordon’s reaction to Dick in the Batsuit. He knew there was something different and it wasn’t the same Batman. But he was just glad there was A Batman period. He never gave up hope.
  3. Damian told Dick he was a “pathetic impersonation” of Batman. Do you agree with Damian’s assessment? Why or why not.
    Damian is a child he reacts in extremes. He’s hurting during this time. He lost his dad. Anyone would be a pathetic impersonation in his eyes. I think Dick was doing the best that anyone could in the situation.
  4. What did you think of Damian going off on his own to face Pyg?
    It’s exactly what i would expect Damian to do. It’s what i love about the character, his IDGAF attitude!
  5. In Streets of Gotham we are introduced to Abuse, who would later become a friend to Damian. What did you think of him here and why do you suppose Damian decided to befriend him? I think Abuse takes a similar approach to criminals as Damian. He punches first and asks questions later. I think Damian likes his style.
3 Likes

A bit of an aside, but I enjoyed Andreyko’s Manhunter back-ups in SOG.

2 Likes

I enjoyed those too.

1 Like

As another aside, I think that the other writers are getting better at writing Damian.

Morrison still does it best, though.

1 Like

+Love it. It’s different but similar to the classic Batman&Robin dynamic. Grant Morrison said it was the dynamic switched. Batman is the positive one and Robin is the brooding one. I half way agree cuz it’s not a switch or an inverse, it’s a totally new dynamic. Damian broods but he’s a kid and makes childish jokes. Dick is more positive but he’s not as jolly as he was as Robin. He’s more calm/controlled. It’s like another user said, this was a brotherly dynamic.

1. What I found appealing about this run of Batman and Robin was the world building surrounding Dick as Batman and Damian as Robin Morrison was doing. What was it you personally found appealing with this Batman and Robin run?

+Same. The dynamic. It was new and refreshing plus he started with newer villains. It felt like the next book instead of a tried and true stories that feel like another chapter in the same book.

1. Damian told Dick he was a “pathetic impersonation” of Batman. Do you agree with Damian’s assessment? Why or why not.

+Yes. The thing I didn’t like, when I originally/1st read Morrison’s run was that Damian got a new look for Robin but Dick didn’t get a new look for Batman. Which to me emphasized that Dick was trying to impersonate Bruce. Plus, the plot explored how unsure Dick was about how he should be Batman and how he should make it his own.

1. What did you think of Damian going off on his own to face Pyg?

Cuz he’s Damian. Too lazy to type a full explanation. Ultimately, it’s who he is.

1. In Streets of Gotham we are introduced to Abuse, who would later become a friend to Damian. What did you think of him here and why do you suppose Damian decided to befriend him?

I didn’t interpreted as becoming “friends.” I felt like Damian understood him and maybe even respecting but I viewed it as Damian having an associate he understands.

[×]

1 Like

Catching up!

I Really love their dynamic. On the surface level its fun for the inverse nature of it – a jokey Batman with a grim Robin. But underneath that are two people attached by shared tragedy, unknowingly making each other better. When you think about it, that’s the Batman and Robin dynamic in a nutshell.

1. What I found appealing about this run of Batman and Robin was the world building surrounding Dick as Batman and Damian as Robin Morrison was doing. What was it you personally found appealing with this Batman and Robin run?

The villains that are created for this run are very fun. (Fun fact: Grant got the voice for Pyg by listening to tapes of diagnosed schizophrenics.) I love how everything feels like a separate story until you get to the end and see how it all connects. The tone is great – I’ve heard it described as “Batman meets Twin Peaks” and it fits so well.

1. Damian told Dick he was a “pathetic impersonation” of Batman. Do you agree with Damian’s assessment? Why or why not.

At that moment…said harshly, but there’s truth to it. Dick was more trying to be Bruce, and that’s just not what Dick is. That instance at the police station and Alfred’s talk was what Dick needed to really make the role his.

1. What did you think of Damian going off on his own to face Pyg?

It’s kind of a Batman thing to do, and what happens to him shows he’s not at that level – yet.

1. In Streets of Gotham we are introduced to Abuse, who would later become a friend to Damian. What did you think of him here and why do you suppose Damian decided to befriend him?

Well, in these issues we really don’t see that yet, but I remember them being cool together.

1 Like