🎖️ Remembering Those Who Served on Veterans Day 🎖️

Thank you @msgtv, @Aquaman, @Pretty.Poison.Bombshell, and all my other fellow veterans out there! :us:

Thank you to everyone else who has commented here as well. It really means a lot!

12 Likes

Instead of responding to everyone, I’m just going to make one bulk comment lol

You are all very welcome, it was an honor serving

14 Likes

Thank you @SukiUki awesome that you’re a vet.

10 Likes

This is a picture of my father in WWII serving on the U.S.S. Salt Lake City between 1944 and 1945, as part of MacArthur’s Pacific fleet. He is #48 in the picture.

11 Likes

I said this on the other thread too, but thank you to everyone who has served. Inside or outside the US; past, present and future. o7

12 Likes

My Great Great Grandpa (Civil War, Union Army Officer, came from Ireland)
Great Grandpa (WWI)
Grandpa (WWII Battle Of The Bulge)
Dad and Uncle (Vietnam USMC)
Myself (USMC Korea, Global War On Terror)

But please don’t thank me, not because I’m ashamed, but I was following every generation of my family since my GG grandpa came from Ireland, and I just saw it as my duty, though I appreciate any sentiment any of you may have. If you thank another vet today, you’ve thanked me.

That’s me on the left, after me first deployment, and me dad on the right​:four_leaf_clover:

12 Likes

Veterans Day! Hail to those who live, and farewell to those who have given their all, in service to their country!

I debated for a long while on this post. Mainly because the memories in it are painful, and make me angry. But I guess I need to get some of that anger out. In 1968, I joined the U.S. Navy. Just as my uncle had done some 25 years earlier. He didn’t want me to enlist. I wouldn’t find out until years later, why. He survived the war, as did my Godfather, a career Marine, who also fought in Korea, and retired after 20 years.

We got together after I got out. We’d talk about the military, and how it had changed between their wars, and mine. They both had to deal with the segregation and superior attitudes of many of their “brothers in arms.” In 1944, President Roosevelt signed the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act. Commonly known from then on, as the G.I. Bill. My uncle got out before the Services were desegregated in 1948, by President Truman. But he still hoped to benefit from the Bill.

He was a very smart man and good with his hands. And he had dreams of a better life after college, which he now hoped to attend. But even that was too much to hope for. Because things hadn’t changed any at home. Jim Crow was still very much alive and well! The real history of the G.I. Bill is out there for anyone interested enough to look it up. In short, it’s benefits were (for many years), as segregated as most of the South.

Fortunately, when I got out, I fared much better. The Bill served its’ purpose with me. Educationally and in other ways as well. Yes, somehow, for better or worse, we’d all survived the 60’s. Turns out though, the 60’s never really went away.

You see, just because something becomes a law, doesn’t make it a reality. It doesn’t change people. People have to want to do that, themselves. That’s why changing President’s doesn’t suddenly shift us back to being a better country. If there’s one thing the " soon to be " former presidency showed us, it’s that America still has a very dark (no pun intended) underbelly. A past that many simply refuse to face or deal with. And as long as that’s the case, we won’t just have divided government (not a bad thing really, as long as both sides can find common ground, to compromise), we’ll continue to be a divided nation. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a very sad state of affairs.

9 Likes

I served from 1993 to 2004.

It was my honor to serve in the 101st Airborne Division (AASLT) in Mosul, Iraq in 2003.

9 Likes

6 Likes

Well said.

6 Likes

My relative fought in WW2. Sadly he passed a way a few days ago at 101.

7 Likes

Condolences.

6 Likes

My grandpa was in the veatnom war(he was a photographer) and he said it was horrible and cried talking about it, to all who is serving or has served, thank you so much for your service!

6 Likes

A better thank you is to those who made the ultimate sacrifice. Semper Fidelis.
Thank you DC Universe moderators/staff for showing appreciation.

4 Likes

:fist:

2 Likes