Remembering the Dark Knight promotional ARG scavenger hunt, the greatest single event in the history of human civilization

In case anyone was unaware, or too young to have followed the events at the time, you DESERVE to know about this.

This article gives a brief overview of the events (but in such a way that spoils some of the surprises): https://cargocollective.com/GaryRosen/The-Dark-Knight-Known-as-the-best-viral-movie-marketing-campaign-in

I remember following live updates on R*ddit. It held all the tension and spectacle of a breaking-news emergency, except it was GOOD and FUN. When they found the cake, and then they reported what happened next, I ascended to nerd nirvana. It was magical. MAGICAL.

1 Like

I remember that. I didn’t participate in it at all, but I remember reading about it and how it was hailed as a remarkable piece of movie marketing.

1 Like

I had heard about it before, but didn’t realize how big it got. Movies should really do this more often.

1 Like

I never got to see it…

But I have participated in a couple ARGs.

One was the PerlexCity card game that was sold through Gamestop.
The other was a promo for No Man’s Sky.

1 Like

I didn’t get to play, really - I live in a small market these things don’t reach so by the time I find out about this stuff it’s over. But I remember a scavenger hunt that led people all over their city and wound up at a preview screening of the opening bank robbery.

1 Like