Reflecting on 2019: A DCU Year in Review

No offense, but I really wouldn’t be upset if they got rid of that feature on the service. I’m sure that the folks responsible do their best and I hope they enjoy at least making those videos, but watching that kind of stuff just isn’t my cup of tea.

1 Like

When you point a finger, there’s three pointing back at you. And this is especially the case when it comes to the kind words being offered up for DC Universe. Without the amazing fans who shape this platform everyday, we’d just be a bunch of prom chaperones drinking watered down punch. And new amazing people joining every day!! Just when you think all the goodness, hilarity, kindness, and insight possible in this world is being represented, a fresh, unique hooman joins up and brings another beautiful facet to our growing tribe.

Moments like the fan event, the conventions, and all opportunities to meet community members in person will always be pressed into my brain. And of course I will never, ever, ever be able to forget getting Community 2.0 launched- I only just now feel like I’ve recovered.

But for me, what was really special was the solidifying of the DC Universe team. It’s hard to believe we’ve only been at this a little over a year, and we made every moment count. What works, what doesn’t, what priorities our members expressed that changed our course, navigating the waters of being a new service for a mega-brand amongst corporate sea changes (and feeling pretty good about it TBH), and hunkering down with a team of the most goofy, hard-working, compassionate and cunning people I could have the honor of sitting in an office with every day. 2019 was all about learning how to make the pieces work together, both on and off-platform, through content and creativity as well as building the tools to highlight it effectively. All of this worked to open clear communication systems across departments, motivated by the importance and impact of our member feedback.

And seeing all the appreciation for the moderation team in comments above- uh, YEAH. OH. MY. GLOB. Can you even believe what they’ve adapted to in the past year? The flexibility, strength, and heart they pour into every single click is superhuman. Going from working with almost no organizational tools with 1.0 to a panel full of 2.0 buttons and levers (“What does this one do? Let’s find out!”) demonstrates not only good humor, fortitude, and dexterity, but the commitment and passion that this community inspires for the team.

Between a badass staff and an unstoppable community, 2020 is definitely going to be something special for DC Universe!:partying_face:

Also, it’s really fun to type 2020.

13 Likes

I am late but just wanted to add what was special about 2019 to me.

First and foremost was being invited to the fan event. It was an honor to be invited and get to attend, to be part of something like that for DC Comics, to be on TV talking about a DC Comics service… I wish I could go back in time to when I was Dan The Boy and tell him where his love of DC would one day take him. I will remember that trip for the rest of my life.

The 22,000 comics… I had to years ago resign from a regular pull list and collecting back issues to the occasional book and trade when I could get them. So to have access to not only that many comics, but DC Comics… my favorite hands down. I used to fantasise as a kid about having that kind of access to DC comcis so to actually have it is awesome. I only regret I don’t have time to read all of it and never will… but a good problem to have.

I love the shows, all f them. Doom Patrol especially which I fell in love with and the slow burn that made me love it has sold me that dropping stuff to binge at once is over rated, weekly release is where it’s at.

2019 was a great year in general for me and DC Daily has been a big part of it.

7 Likes

Oh wow, it’s really hard to narrow it all down but here goes!

I am still absolutely extatic about the massive expansion of the reading library! It seriously fulfils a long time dream of mine to have pretty much all the DC comics I wanted to read available to me. I mean, really, how amazing is that!

I have enjoyed becoming a more active member of the DCU community since the release of 2.0. I have been a subscriber since the launch of DCU, but I’m not gonna lie, I was a community lurker for a long time. I wouldn’t say that the launch of 2.0 was what influenced my becoming more active in the community, it just happened to coincide time wise lol. I have been extremely pleased so far with the 2.0 update though and I’m excited to see what other new surprises are up ahead.

Becoming more connected to individual members of the DCU community has been a good experience. You see people who are introverted in real life, but they really come out of their shell in forums and online communities… Well, I’ve always had the opposite problem lol. I’m extroverted in real life, but have never been able to connect with others in forums or online communities in any sort of meaningful way. Although I would read posts and would think about how I’d like to make connections and get to know the people making those posts because they were all from different places and walks of life, I just couldn’t seem to do it. Thanks to the awesome and welcoming individuals that make up this community though, I feel like I’ve been able to relax and get to know some really awesome new people. @Reaganfan78 @superby1 @nu52 @AntLeon @iJest @HubCityQuestion @Applejack @MissInkBlot @MisfitMarvel @TravisMorgan you guys are all really cool :v:t2: I have enjoyed reading what you have to say and hope I get to know you better. If I forgot anyone awesome, know I like you too :wink: lol.

I’ve really enjoyed the new Harley Quinn show. I can’t wait to see more of that!

I’ve gotten the chance to join a new club and that’s been great so far! Thanks @nu52!

I’ve gotten to go back and read through a ton of reading orders I’ve been dying to read for years now. That’s been totally mind blowing.

Ok, like I said, really hard to narrow it down lol. I’ve had a great 2019 on DCU though and I can’t wait to see what 2020 will bring!

13 Likes

Anything without Bendis was great in 2019!!@

1 Like

Ok, @Applejack I’ll bite.
What makes typing 2020 more fun than typing 2019?

4 Likes

“2019” feels dextrous, like the keyboard is an instrument, whereas “2020” feels like this
giphy (1)
source

9 Likes

Well, so it’s the, don’t have to move my wrists and ring fingers or pinkies. Understandable, depending on if you use the pinkie for 0, you might want to give it some extra stretching.

2 Likes

Ohmygewd, the tux kitty is so cute!!!

clears throat, straightens up

Okay then. That’s it.

reaches for the Necronomicon, then turns and sees the tux kitty again

Kewt!!! :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Who points with one finger? I point with all my fingers.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to brag, but when I type, I just bash my fists on my keyboard and out come the words I want to use, all perfectly spelled and grammarized.

Me typum good, oog, oog!

2 Likes

I took a typing class. But I got very rebellious during it. So I type with my middle fingers (not in an offensive way). Because it’s easier for me.

1 Like

I took a typing class in high school just for kicks and an easy A. That homerow jazz has always slowed me down, so I let my fingers fly over the keyboard however they need to.

It somewhat irritated the teacher of my typing class, but she later admitted I typed far better than even the best of the Homerow Bunch. She was fun.

I still don’t use the homerow technique, and likely never will.

2 Likes

Can I just say, I have access to all of the big streaming services, but this is the one I use over and over again. I love having access to so many comics that I can read anytime, anywhere.

I also loved and am loving many of the comics and television shows that have come onto the scene. Doom Patrol, Harley Quinn, Young Justice and DC Daily. In terms of Comics, I love the current Red Hood and the Outlaws series, Batman, Titans, Young Justice by Brian Michael Bendis, Green Arrow and Hellblazer.

7 Likes

2019 got pretty busy for me and I wasn’t able to use DCU anywhere near what I wanted to, but when I have it’s been excellent! I love DC Daily and @JoshuaLapinBertone always has some great articles! I got to binge Red Hood & The Outlaws and some Marshall Rogers Batman, not to mention early Doom Patrol, so I’m beyond pleased at the library’s expansion. Titans S2 has been fantastic and I love Conor Leslie as Donna Troy and Esai Morales made for a terrifying Deathstroke, and I say that as someone who loves the Manu Bennett Arrow version. COIE has been a lot of fun seeing the returning faces on the CW. Brandon Routh needs a Kingdom Come Superman show either on CW or a more lavish production on DC Universe! A definite local highlight for me was covering the Austin Batman80/Long Live The Bat event for Batman On Film, which also got a spotlight on a DC Daily episode! It was a lot of fun being around that much excitement that was tied to the regular flight of the bats here!

1 Like

2019 was such a weird year for changing my expectations and learning to love the DC Universe that i have and not the one that was advertised. Early on I couldn’t see myself renewing (I’m an annual member) but then Doom Patrol and the refocus to comics came along and I learned to realize that I spent the same for Marvel Unlimited for comics i like less and no programming, and I hit a zen spot…and while i didn’t really care for SWAMP THING (though i LOVED parts) or TITANS (I didn’t love parts) I ended the year with the biggest surprise I could imagine, I loved loved LOVED a cartoon about Harley Quinn. My brother gave me year 2 as a xmas present and I’ll be here until 2021, catching up on old Suicide Squad and Legion! Love you all and happy 2020

2 Likes

Aww, I love, love, love this thread - from the heartfelt shout outs to other community members, to the detail with which you describe specific attributes of the service that you’ve come to know and love, this is a treasure trove of goodies! Please continue sharing your experiences with us if you have more, or haven’t yet, and we’ll continue to make note of all of them.

I just wanted to take the time to thank all of you for not only helping 2019 become the epitome of the experience of a lifetime for us, but for making my heart 10x bigger to make room for all of the wonderful people who I’ve had the pleasure to be able to call my DC Family. :slight_smile:

Being able to get to know you (and now, of course, being able to be all types of nosy when it comes to your music listening habits… ahem, I kid, I kid, but seriously, a good many thank yous to those who participate in our Mixtape Mondays every week! :wink: ) is a joy I look forward to experiencing all the more this year! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

What YEAR do you prefer to type?

0 voters