Red Death Drawn Using Only Lightning Bats

For the past two DC Fan Art submissions, I had tried something new. First I drew Batman composed entirely of little bats. I then drew a Flash movie poster using lightning bolts for the Flash and bats for Michael Keaton.
@RobArt471 suggested I draw the “Batman Who Laughs” Flash using Lightning Bats. I think he meant it as a joke but here it is! @CynicalPink I will now take a break from these type of drawings as they are quite time consuming and hard on the hand.
Enjoy!

29 Likes

In case you were wondering, this is a lightning bat:

11 Likes

That looks very Awesome™:+1:. And deadly.

4 Likes

That is freaking radical to the extreme!

4 Likes

Are you kidding me!! This is absolutely bad a$$!! Phenomenal work on the details! They shine through with perfect clarity!! @ImpulseMaxMercury you get better with time just like good wine!!

6 Likes

Dear god.

4 Likes

@_UnderScore I couldn’t tell. Did you like it?

2 Likes

@NYJt3 thanks! I do like how this one turned out and he does look scary

4 Likes

@SuperBlueGrodd totally! Thanks it was a lot of hard work and a character I’m not familiar with so I like how it turned out.

3 Likes

@RobArt471 I’m glad you like it! It was all your idea. I wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out and I had to look it up as I was not familiar with the character. I enjoyed the final product with the shadowing and how he looks. I think I will stop this style for now before I ruin my hands forever.

4 Likes

Yeah man. A lot.

3 Likes

:exploding_head: IMM this is spectacular!!! :clap:

3 Likes

@_UnderScore thanks! I’m really glad you liked it. I saw it as a challenge and accepted it no matter how crazy

3 Likes

@stefanie.m thanks! I was just inspired and had fun trying to create it. Sometimes I was not sure if it would turn out ok and there was no margin for error because I could not erase easily the lightning bats.

3 Likes

Holy [censor]! I can’t believe how well you defined his uniform and motion using only the lightning bats! It takes a lot of discipline to get that kind of detail and depth without using different kinds of pencil pressure/ink shading. The structure of his chest-plate and legs stand out in particular. The way you’ve got such an energetic pose amid all the smaller bats adds to energy, too - like there are “sparks” flying from the motion. I’m sorry your hand is aching yet again, but I’m so glad Rob requested this!

4 Likes

Thanks! I am especially proud of how the chest emblem and legs look as the reference I had was lighter in color and used more lightning to achieve the effects. I was not sure how I would do it using such a dark symbol over and over but it turned out pretty good. I have said it before it took additional confidence as using the dark symbols over and over left me with no room for error as I could not erase it as it still showed. In my previous Flash drawing where the worlds collided was to cover a mistake. I had tried drawing Iris West using hearts but did not like how the likeness was turning out and could not erase well so I drew over it. When it’s one character it’s even harder.
I enjoyed getting the perspective right to catch him in action running. I also imagined the smaller bats like lightning trails from the Flash but also similar to where I had Batman swirled by bats.
My hand has rested and I’m ready to draw again. @RobArt471 I thank you again for the suggestion!

3 Likes

@ImpulseMaxMercury, Your welcome! It was a sincere pleasure seeing it done in what I am referring to as the “ImpulseMaxMercury Method”. In all honesty, I have never drawn any Flash satisfactorily ever, and I am a huge Flash fanboy. His action poses are hard to capture for me and you did a fantastic job on it. I appreciate that you took up the challenge and knocked it out of the solar system! THANK YOU!

2 Likes

I like this! I take great honor in having it named after me.

2 Likes

@RobArt471 I’m glad you really liked the drawing. I have been building my confidence in my drawing week by week and this community has been a big part of this.
I will admit other than the tv show I had fallen out of following the Flash. My key time with the Flash was in the 90s when Wally West was the one and they introduced Impulse and the whole Flash family. I was not happy with how they had treated Wally in recent years as it had gone away from the fun and joy he used to have. Yes there were dangers but he was always the bright light and I feel they dimmed him recently.

2 Likes

This is talent

2 Likes