[Recommendations] I Love Vertigo, But New to DC Universe: What Should I Read?

Speaking of Warren Ellis, I would also recommend his Planetary series, which not only has a similar style, but a few issues are loving parodies of certain characters like Constantine.

5 Likes

Iā€™m biased, but The Authority and Planetary are the best books highlighted so far.

Itā€™s no exaggeration to say theyā€™re perfect.

5 Likes

Same, @Applejack. Vertigo was my # 1 comic habit for years, and Iā€™ve been pondering this as well. My love for Swamp Thing, Abby & Zatanna lead me to Justice League Dark. The characters within them (Constantine, Dead Man, Spectre, Xanadu, etc) are about all I know when it comes to Vertigo-esque titles at DC. I found it years ago and have stuck w/ it thinking it was all DC had w/ that same flavor. Looking forward to seeing what recommendations come up.

4 Likes

Also, while it is part of the New 52, I believe the Swamp Thing run by Scott Snyder does imply that a lot of the Vertigo events happened, and is just a really good story if youā€™re a fan of the character through the Vertigo runs.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d agree that The Authority is perfect. Parts of it havenā€™t aged very well.

Planetary, though? Thereā€™s nothing finer.

5 Likes

Iā€™d say Ellisā€™s run on The Authority is still a shining beacon of well-aged badassery.

Afterwards however, the perfection may not be as perfect, thatā€™s true, but to me at least thatā€™s like comparing a Kubrick movie he put his soul into compared to one that was a lighter effort: either way, the entertainment value far exceeds everything else thatā€™s out there.

Planetary should be savored like a fine wine: slowly, so as to take in and absorb the amazement on display.

3 Likes

Well, there is Nextwave. Thatā€™s like Shakespeare.

But with lots more punching.

2 Likes

Nextwave was gold.

2 Likes

Guess I read it wrong. I got through that whole series on an all-nighter in a hotel in Japan when I couldnā€™t sleep.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a damn good book to pull an all-nighter with. Excellent pick! :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Well, when the library has that or Spider-Man: Sins Pastā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

shudder Why did you have to darken my house with those words, those awful memories that had long since been repressed? A pox on you, I say! A POX!

:stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Regarding Constantine in a more recent comic, the DCeased: A Good Day to Die one-shot featured him, Dr. Fate and other characters. While John wasnā€™t the star of that book, he certainly had some of the best moments in it.

As for JC on the telly, he was in multiple episodes of Justice League Action, and of course thereā€™s his CW Seed joint, Constantine: City of Demons.

Moving on, as for Garth Ennis in the DCU, the two-issue JLA/Hitman mini was a blast (so to speak). I donā€™t believe itā€™s available in digital, but itā€™s absolutely worth tracking down via a comic store or eBay.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never read any Vertigo other than DOOMSDAY CLOCK. So it will be interesting to read the posts in this thread.

Alan Moores Swamp Thing, Scott Snyders Swamp Thing, Mister Miracle by Tom King, Strange Adventures by Tom King, 2011 Animal Man by Jeff Lemire, and this one is a little brighter than the rest but grant morrisons current green lantern run is borderline black comedy in some issues primarily issue 3 and is also intelligently written and beautifully realized by Liam sharp

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the recommendations! This is a bit of a pet project for me that Iā€™m working on during lunch, so I havenā€™t had time to include links. I think thereā€™s a few recs that arenā€™t on our service, unfortunately, and because thatā€™s the resource Iā€™m attempting to build, they will be omitted.

If you notice any errors as I work on this, please feel free to correct me! As I ran out of time I threw some recs into a general ā€œUncategorizedā€ area until I can revisit and update again. Not the cleanest process, but weā€™ll get there!

3 Likes

Ah yes, that was a rush copy/paste job from another conversation. Thanks for catching! If youā€™re like, please feel free to let me know where else things seem ā€œoffā€ or miscategorized. Iā€™m still noodling on the concept of ā€œcreator-basedā€ ā€œcharacter-basedā€ ā€œgenre-basedā€.

Thank you so much for all the recs, this is a fun project!

3 Likes

I have been reading lots of Constantine lately so these suggestions are great !

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the one I came to say. Xanadu is the only comic I have in my favorites. So that I never forget about it. Been promoting it tirelessly on here since it dropped on this site.

2 Likes

Kings Mister Miracle on here? Iā€™ve wanted to read it badly. I donā€™t think itā€™s on site tho. I hope Iā€™m wrong.

1 Like