recommendations for comics to read from DC to Marvel

Just started back reading comics, would love to know some good ones to read. I’m on a pull list at my comic store for every Justice League, young justice the terriffics shazam batman who laughs and a rew more. I also read marvel comics avengers especially the event starting war of realms deadpool and a few more. Would like to read some events I read secret empire which was ok up to till the end it felt rushed to me like they was getting alot of heat and showed there belly to end it. I read the DC dark knight metal event and enjoyed it up till the end also lol. Thank you ahead of time and all comics are welcomed

1 Like

For DC events it begins and ends with one word… CRISIS. Granted Crisis isnt the title of every major DC event, but it is for the most legendary. Start with Crisis on Infinite Earths (COIE) from 1985-86. This one was the big game changer for DC. It incorporated all of its continuity at the time (the original multi-verse), and threw it into an all out cosmic showdown. Leaving just one universe standing when all the dust settled. Don’t worry that wasnt a spoiler, condensing the DCU down to a single universe was the purpose of COIE and everybody knew that even back in '85 & '86.

Other major CRISIS events…

Zero Hour: Crisis in Time (1994)- I consider this a companion to COIE. It crosses some t’s and dots some i’s that it’s counterpart did not. Thats the best way I can explain it without giving spoilers. It does go a little deeper than that (keep in mind I havent read this in 13yrs).

Infinite Crisis 2006- The direct sequel to COIE. A much smaller, yet much more emotionally impactful event. Theres was a years worth of build up tie-ins, but those arent necessary unless you just want to read 'em.

Final Crisis 2008- Don’t let the name fool you it was meant as “final” for the time being. DC’ll never retire the CRISIS events entirely. Anyway this is legendary writer Grant Morrison at his finest. If your at all a fan of Jack Kirby’s Fourth l World (Darkseid etc) then you’re in for one helluva treat.

Hope you enjoy!

1 Like

Wolverine by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller is one of my favorites from Marvel. Also you can’t go wrong with Jim Lee’s X-Men run. I’m s big fan of Batman: Hush, Wonder Woman by George Perez, Mr. Miracle by Jack Kirby and Superman/Batman by Jeph Loeb as some of my favorite DC comics off the top of my head.

One of the best DC books ever is New Frontier which just got added to this service last week. It tells the story of how the DC Universe transitioned between the war and adventure books of the early fifties (like the original Suicide Squad and Challengers of the Unknown) to silver age superheroes like Barry Allen and Hal Jordan. Its all set against the backdrop of what was going on in America at the time and it makes a great primer for some of DC’s more obscure characters.

1 Like

Recommended Readings:
Superman vs The Amazing Spider-Man
Superman and Spider-Man
Batman vs The Incredible Hulk
Uncanny X-Men and The New Teen Titans
Batman / Punisher: Lake of Fire
Punisher / Batman: Deadly Knights
Darkseid vs Galactus: The Hunger
Spider-Man and Batman
Green Lantern / Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances
DC Versus Marvel
All Access
Silver Surfer / Superman
Batman and Captain America
Daredevil / Batman
Batman and Spider-Man
Unlimited Access
Superman / Fantastic Four
The Incredible Hulk vs Superman
Batman / Daredevil: King of New York
JLA/Avengers
Source: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Marvel_Universe

2 Likes

Astonishing X-Men (2004) # 1 - 24 by Joss Whedon.

1 Like

@portalman I really wish they’d republish the DC\Marvel crossover collections.

2 Likes

Titans George Perez Wolfman run, Grant MOrrison Animal Man, Savage Dragon has always been good, Batman Hush, Im liking Brian Michael Bendis take on Superman, Legion of Superheroes 70s and 80s made me a fan, Grant Morrison Doom Patrol and so many more

if you’re just looking for event comics. Crisis on Infinite Earths my number 1, In no order Civil War, Infinity Gauntlet( esp. If youre a fan of the MCU) Metal is good if you’re a Batman fan and DC in general. I also have certain writers I like to follow like Marv Wolfman, George Perez, Brian MIchael Bendis, Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Erik Larson and and so many more. I think once you find someone you like as an artist/writer. You will definately check out their other stuff. Most of the time Ive found it works but sometimes not.

Only 3 comics I would suggest to people that are coming from Marvel today

1. Daredevil
  2. Thor
  3. Conan

Because Of who is writing them.

I read other Marvel books but they i’m not worth mentioning

Doomsday Clock
Red Hood Outlaw
Deathstroke

I believe it is ending soon but I have really enjoyed Silencer. You already mentioned Shazam and BEL both are great.

For Marvel, I just added DD to my pull list. I also read Venom and Punisher and recommend both.

Any of the Owl sagas from Batma

1 Like

Sorry I might of read the topic wrong don’t play attention to what I said

n :wink: