Received a response from DCU Customer Service re: the comic selection

Agree with Licentious’ comment. Marvel has gaps, but in its selection of offerings. The current DC offerings are just non existent, Flashpoint event…only issue one. Injustice …3 issues… 52…only week one. These are not new series, 52 is almost 9 years old. I had hopes, like others, that this was DC’s answer to Marvel Unlimited, but so far, (yes we are in week one, but they have had time to watch the competition and get this right) missing the mark hard.

I enjoy the movies, mainly the animated ones, but would be happy if they removed that option all together or made it an add-on and just gave me full run comics and charged the same, maybe a little more.

6 Likes

Emerald,

In response to your “you didn’t do your research” comment, can you point me to the pre-release information that was published showing:

• There would be an additional charge coming in October
  • The comics they do put online will be a random scattering of titles with virtually no coherence, almost no complete story lines, and seemingly no thought put into which comics are made available

If you can show me this information which was available prior to our making a purchase decision, then I’ll agree with you…it was on us.

If you can’t show this (and you can’t), then your claim fails. We did our research. A lot of it, in some cases. They were not forthcoming with the information that was critical for us to know to make an informed decision.

11 Likes

Sounds like the problem wasn’t finding the information, but understanding it. A curated list of 2500 comics to me meant I’m going to be getting some random things. I’m enough of a DC fan to trust that I’ll find something to read, and I have like many others. I’ll agree that I don’t recall anything about purchasing in October, but then again I suppose I just assumed there were be titles that cost as well.

2 Likes

I think it’s rational to figure out that right now for what we’re paying, those of us that paid through the 15 months , this is less than Marvel unlimited. we are getting far more than Marvel unlimited including this discussion board… So I do expect to pay more for this overall if they beef up the library beyond 2500. I’ll be happy if they keep it a 2500 anf the cost the same, but just rotate so that every month I get to read the next in the series of a recent comic but you know 9 months delay.

Curate as it would apply to this sort of service: select, organize, and present (online content, merchandise, information, etc.), typically using professional or expert knowledge.

So when DC advertised curated comics I was lead to believe I would get complete stories I could enjoy even if that story would only be available for a short period of time.

2 Likes

Is there a phone number to call? Or just the form?

I didn’t read 2,500 comics, i don’t know where that came from. I read 2,500 titles. Action comics is a title and I thought I’d get more that 18 issues for that title. Apparently 2,500 titles meant each issue has a title or they’re going to have 2,500 titles but mostly #1. It’s a word game, they knew most of use expected more now they’re playing coy like we were just idiots. They get to keep the money, so whatever.

2 Likes

You shouldn’t speak on behalf of “most of us” knightnorth. Many of “us” actually knew what we were getting into. I saw JoBlo Videos coverage titled, “How does the DC UNIVERSE APP work? Live Demo and walkthrough (2018)”.

@Heartshadow - I could not agree more. When I pre-ordered in July, there was ZERO information on what would be available. I took it on faith that there would be good stuff going on in this app. That was my fault.

Then in August, I read from media outlets that there would be coverage for lots of major titles with no specifics on the amount of issues they would have. Including major character titles like Superman, Batman, and Flash for New 52. I took it on faith they would have several issues if not all of them cause that would make a ton of sense to get people to read/buy into the current run of Rebith. That was my fault.

I should have not trusted these people at all, at any point. I took it for granted that with competition like Netflix and Marvel Unlimited, these people wouldn’t make the EXTREMELY greedy decision to not include the things that they think people can sell them in graphic novel or single issue form. Or even worse, stretch out what little they did release in a way that makes you buy issue #5 in a 12 issue run or just give you issue a million issue #1s. Again, it’s my fault.

But if you think for a minute that I knew what I was getting myself into when I pre-ordered (or even within a reasonable time or way thereafter) or that it’s alright for them to keep my money, then you are sadly mistaken.

11 Likes

Sorry, no edit feature. Should be “most of us that are disappointed”. I get many people were smart and knew everything about this app and I was fooled and trusted DC without going to a bunch of third parties to get my information. That’s on me, I will distrust and verify next time. I think a lot of the negative attention are the things that came out after the launch. I know the bugs are going o get worked out. But the changing of “2,500 titles” to “2,500 comics” and the message “full digital library will be available for purchase”. I didn’t see any of that until I downloaded the app and the word games keep going. I know people are expecting this to grow, but there’s no information from DC saying that will be true. Whether it’s many or most or some, there’s a large portion of negative post on this and other social media sites. Disproportional amount even for a new app. Many apps have growing pains but Amazon, Hulu, Netflix all had to take on a lot of debt to get going and Marvel has that Disney money to keep them afloat. AT&T is one of he largest corporate debt holders in the world and can’t really take on an app that’s struggling. As a fan, as a reader, as a movie buyer, and as a stock holder I want this to succeed. I know you can’t make everyone happy, but your gonna want a lot of people happy to grow. It might not be good to marginalizing the people that are dissatisfied because if you get what you want and we all leave there’ll be nothing left for everyone else.

7 Likes

I want to cancel to. WHY the HELL do you call it DC UNIVERSE??? I pre-ordered it on the notion that this will include a vast library of comics, movies, and shows. Yet we get a small amount of nothing. And when I pre-ordered, there was little to no information and a lot of BS marketing material which miss led me. Marvel did it right with Marvel Unlimited. I do not want to pay more on top of a subscription to get more. Whats the point in the first place?

1 Like

When I first saw the announcements for DC Universe I created an account but didn’t join at the time because the yearly sub was the only one available. I waited for “opening day”, give or take, to get the monthly rate in case I was disappointed. I knew content would be limited at first, and was unsurprised that my favorite comics “storyline” only has 12 or so issues out of over 400.

This way, I’m paying only as long as they keep new arrivals that I want to see appearing regularly.

1 Like

This type of post is worth $75 a year, you guys are a riot lol