Reboot the Comics Continuity

That’s fine with me too - fleshing out what happened from the DCnU that is cuz yeah, a lot of that is still murky. I mean this whole “everything happened” mantra of Rebirth brought back many amazing thing that should’ve never been taken away, but for example if “everything happened” that means Robin Year One happened, Dick was Robin at like 9 or 10 and was Robin until he was like 18. Not only does that contradict his New 52 origins becoming Robin as a teen but it contradicts them using it to make room for the other Robbins in a shorter time frame. Like where in this shorter time frame is there room for Stephanie Brown to have been Robin? Everyone is said to get back their “missing ten years” but everyone is the same age. If Judas Contract happened, how come Terra, Beast Boy, and Raven are far younger than everyone featured in Titans, Cyobrg is older and part of the JL and was never a Titan, and Terrra died in the New 52 Teen Titans run? And those are just off the top of my head. We have no idea what’s the truth anymore and honestly it infuriates me because nothing fits together! I’m a everything-tied-up-in-a-neat-little-bow guy! I can’t handle puzzles with more pieces than the whole picture! I can’t handle loose ends! Don’t get me wrong there was way too much history for a single timeline and the fat needed to be trimmed but they cut WAY too much for New 52 and now just putting it all back messes everything up! “It’s too much at once, tO mUcH aT oNcE!” Phew sorry… ranting again. I’m sorry.

While I do feel DC continuity is a bit of a mess right now, it doesn’t really bother me. :laughing:
I normally prefer self contained stories. When I first heard about the 5G thing I was initially not crazy about it because I thought they would be sidelining my main heroes (Superman, Batman). But then it seemed like (could be wrong) they were going to have their stories go over to Black Label which I was all for being someone who favors ElseWorld/self contained stories. There’s plenty of arcs in main titles I enjoy and I kinda just pick and chose what I want to be canon anyways. I just think you get a better story when the writer isn’t restricted to whats currently canon.

I also think for certain writers like Snyder it would be better for them to write outside of canon. They like to do these epic stories and usually the set up is okay but the ending just falls short for me because they have to play it safe with canon. That’s one of the reasons I loved DCeased & White Knight so much Taylor & Murphy had the freedom to go all out with their stories and the character’s deaths and actions/consequences had weight to them because you knew they wouldn’t have to return to the status quo making the story pointless.

2 Likes

I feel like they should combine the post crisis and N52/Rebirth timeline so people who are fans of either can still enjoy these versions

1 Like

I’m totally down. There are things I like from both. But very unpopular opinion is that I really want DC to kill Bruce - like actually kill him see a body and everything with no chance of him coming back and have Luke Fox take over as the new Batman. I mean, I have no problem if they use like Detective Comics for Bruce and have it be in it’s own timeline and keep the legacy numbering that way fan could still have him but he’s not in the main continuity holding back related/adjacent characters. Really hoping I like this new Batwoman as I could never really get into her so we can keep her. And I don’t even have a problem with DC shortening the timeframe a bit. I mean they did it wrong in New 52 because they didn’t give themselves enough time to fit everybody or everything in that they needed. I did an excel doc to map out a timeline of the batfamily and it can really work well.

Continuity is important, I guess, but I’d take bad continuity with good stories over perfect continuity with lousy stories. Ultimately keeping continuity is easier to keep in line with individual lines (Bat-Family, Superman Family, Lanterns, etc) than with the combined characters in the Justice League, etc.

Reboots need to be done carefully though they rarely are. There needs to be a strong, unified purpose behind rebooting- are we making it easy for new readers to jump on? Are we clipping the split ends caused by too many stylists spoiling the sweet pompadour? There needs to be a reason for it, otherwise it’s just another event/grab for attention.

I agree on the reasons behind rebooting. Personality, I don’t need an event to signify a new continuity. Just discontinue the current runs and start fresh.