Reading List Needed for Japan

I have a trip to Japan coming up later this summer and am looking for the DC Community to help me in building a reading list for the plane trips! Here’s what I’m hoping to get:

• Omnibuses or collected editions (easier to download and read one long book than jump back and forth)
  • Japan settings/characters (Katana, Jiro Osamu/Batman of Japan, Eiko Hasigawa/Catwoman, etc.)

That’s it! I have DCUI Ultra so any book is eligible. What are your recommendations? Thanks in advance!

4 Likes

Tagging @HubCityQuestion as he always has great insights and recommendations!

2 Likes

Not a reading recommendation but there’s a really great manga museum in Kyoto if you’re going to be around there.

The Ghibli museum in Tokyo is also super cool

3 Likes

Well, the 2021 AAPI Heritage Month special is always worth a reread. Shame it didn’t become an annual like the Pride Month specials.

3 Likes

Good suggestion, and I appreciate you including a link in the body of your post!

3 Likes

Here’s a good Batman comic series that was written and drawn by Japanese artist

I’ve read the book, it’s in English, but reading the comic panel is really interesting, you read by opposite direction per pages, I really enjoy it, you might like it. Anyway have a safe and a great trip! :grinning::jp:

4 Likes

I absolutely second the Jiro Kuwata Bat-Manga. Ultra also has the first three (of four) volumes of the Batman and the Justice League manga in English, and the original manga Batman: Death Mask.

The Sandman: The Dream Hunters is an independent volume of The Sandman inspired by classic Japanese folklore.

Batman and the Outsiders #11-12 takes us to Japan for the origin of Katana.

Martian Manhunter #2 is a great oneshot about how J’onn is perceived as a hero in Japan.

Midnighter #6 is an Elseworlds story which recontextualizes Midnighter and Apollo in Feudal Japan.

You may be interested in Crossing Midnight, Mike Carey’s original Vertigo horror fantasy series set in modern (well, 2007) Japan.

And of course, there’s Frank Miller’s Ronin.

Three more DC manga, Superman vs. Meshi, Batman: Justice Buster, and Joker: One Operation Joker, will be launching on DCUI later this year.

3 Likes

There’s a few mangas on DCUI you can read

2 Likes

no mans land

2 Likes

Did not know about these manga books - those sound perfect for the flight to Japan to get me into the spirit! Thanks for the tips, @Reaganfan78 / @HubCityQuestion / @DreamingGirlWonder!

3 Likes