Reading ALL of the New 52

Green Arrow gets worse before it gets better but once Lemire takes over it becomes one of the better New 52 books, but that’s not for a while.

3 Likes

Are you planning on writing an essay or lengthy post when the project is over?

3 Likes

Me? If so, I’m not planning on it but I have almost five years left to think about it!

5 Likes

I would definitely read it!

4 Likes

If I do anything I would hope to do it with this guy, the host of the show that inspired me to do this in the first place:

4 Likes

Cool!

3 Likes

Week of 12/14/11 is done!

Re-Reads: Batgirl and Batman and Robin.

I really enjoy how Gail Simone writes Barbara. I need her on a Babs book again. Damian has grown so much that I almost forgot how much of an entitled little jerk he was. But I do love that page of him hanging upside down next to Bruce asking him to teach him that ‘knock out’ move. It’s the perfect explanation of his character.

Loves: Demon Knights, Frankenstein, Resurrection Man.

Shining Knight’s backstory was great. I love how calm Frankenstein is in everything he does. And Resurrection Man is just fun every time.

Likes: Batwoman, Deathstroke, Green Lantern, Grifter, Mister Terrific, Suicide Squad, Superboy.

Batwoman barely gets a like but it gets one. Poor Flamebird. And Kate has no idea what’s coming. Every issue of Deathstroke is almost the same. Slade wants to kill someone, he does something stupid to make a big scene to prove ‘he is still the best’, he kills whoever is is supposed to kill, cliffhanger ending for the next issue. But the action is great so it gets a like.

Green Lantern will keep getting a like every time Hal gets beat up. But, seriously, some good background for Sinestro this week. Grifter was cool too, it felt a bit better than previous weeks.

This arc of Mister Terrific feels way better than the first. I guess he just needed to go to space? But I liked him having to think outside the box while not being able to communicate. Suicide Squad is fun every time. Poor Boomerang. I can’t wait to see what Harley does next.

And poor Kon. I’m happy I haven’t read this series before. Because if this was my first experience with Kon, I’m not sure what I would think of him. But this was a good issue. He has a lot going on. Hopefully he can sort it all out. :grimacing:

Meh: New category

I think 4 issues in is a bit too long to still be ‘unsure’ about a series. But I could be wrong. :woman_shrugging: But to no one’s surprise, Legion Lost is the first to land on this list.

This series hasn’t hooked me at all. It was a good issue this week but I just can’t seem to get into the series at all. I like some of the characters and I can sort of see what they are trying to do. It just hasn’t hooked me. :woman_shrugging: I don’t hate it. But I don’t like.

That’s it for this week. Thanks for reading!

5 Likes

I have read this week’s books. I actually like Legion Lost, but I know the Legion. The other comics were all ok to good. I am enjoying reading Batgirl again.

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know the Legion. This and the other Legion book are my first time reading them. So, it is so hard to figure out what is going on because it is a continuation of the previous series. I know other series did that but I think they just explained the situation better.

Batwoman had an issue 0 to fill new readers in. (It wasn’t great but it did most of the job.) I think the Legion books needed a special to help new readers.

I think I would like Legion if I could grasp the situation more. Maybe next arc will be better for me. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

JLU will try that with a long and preachy storyline that everybody hated (at least it has pretty art).

3 Likes

There are rumors that Gunn and Safran will be using The New 52 versions of the DC characters in their upcoming reboot of DC Studios! If so - we’re on to something here!

3 Likes

Their evidence is practically nothing, and we have just as much evidence they are making a Kingdome Come Cinematic Universe.

The New 52 was designed for making TV and movie adaptations with the main characters so using many, many elements from New 52 is a very solid idea, and I guarantee you many will be used.

Flash is mostly New 52 Flash.

Stargirl uses both her post Crisis and New 52 series and magnificently combined them.

Aquaman mainly adapted New 52’s most famous Aquaman comics.

Wonder Woman used many elements from New 52.

The Gunnverse heavily relying on New 52 was always a very likely option.

4 Likes

I’m a little later than normal but week of 12/21/11 is done.

Re-reads: Batman and Nightwing.

I love this issue of Batman with Bruce refusing to accept the Court’s existence because he couldn’t find them when he was a kid. I loved the art in the flashbacks too. Nighwing was good too. Always fun to see Batgirl. Plus, a little bit of Court foreshadow laced into there.

Loved: DC Universe Presents, GLC, Justice League, Supergirl and Wonder Woman.

Deadman continues to impress. I am very curious to se how it all wraps up next issue. Green Lantern Corps had a lot of good parts this week. I really like the art and writing of that series.

I haven’t read this Justice League run before, I didn’t realize it only took 4 issues for Darkseid to show up. That’s so quick. Darkseid is… impatient, I guess.

I continue to love Supergirl’s series. I feel bad for the dude who helped Kara only to get shot. But I love the translation issues this series has with Kara only knowing Kryptonion and the stubborn American villain just yelling English demands at her. The perfect stereotype. And Kara, just being like “Idk what this dude wants but he’s obviously bad so I’m out of here.” :laughing:

Wonder Woman was my favorite of the week, it just edged out Deadman. But it was fantastic. I loved every single page of it. It is one of the few series I just want to binge all of right now, instead of reading week by week with everything else.

Liked: Birds of Prey, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, Catwoman, Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Birds of Prey is a fun group book and with Batgirl added in it gets better. The cliffhanger at the ends has me curious too. Blue Beetle almost got a ‘love’ this week. Jaime’s parents thinking the scarab is a tattoo was hysterical to me. And him trying to fight while having no idea what he is doing in pretty entertaining.

Captain Atom gets a like for the page where he turned all the plans into birds. It was gorgeous art and a funny play on words. I am getting a better feel for this book, but it gets better with each issue. Catwoman gets a like too because Batman wasn’t in this issue. And because this is also getting better with each issue.

Red Hood and the Outlaws had a lot going on and I liked most of it. I’m not totally sold on this version of Starfire (though I think I might feel better about that next issue…) but I do like all this caste stuff.

Meh: You guessed it! Legion of Superheroes.

I won’t explain it for the millionth time. You all know why it’s here. Sorry to all the Legion fans.

That’s my essay this week. See you all next week for the last one of the year!

4 Likes

I just read the issues for this week. @Row.Harper and I aren’t in agreement on the Legion, as usual. I did enjoy Batman, the Green Lantern Corps, and Justice League. Captain Atom and Supergirl are just ok.

3 Likes

I feel like you’ve said it before, but are you a big Legion fan? If I wanted to read a Legion series where the first issue was actually a first issue and not like these series, what would you recommend? Because I think I would actually like the Legion, I just can’t seem to get into these two series.

2 Likes

Maybe start back with their earliest appearances? I’m not sure if DCUI has all of it, but they were first in a Superboy story, then I think it was Adventure Comics. After that, it was Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes until he left and it became the Legion’s book. They also had a Baxter series in the 80s the same time The Titans got theirs.

2 Likes

I almost missed the last week of the year. But week 12/28/11 is done!

Re-Reads: The Flash and Teen Titans.

I don’t remember too much from Mob Rule, but I remember loving the art. And that is still so true. I also like how Iris is just doing her own thing in this time. Teen Titans is a trip, I like this line-up. I miss Bunker so much. But now that I know these characters a lot more than the first time I read this series, I get why it wasn’t well-received. It’s still good though.

Love: All-Star Western, Aquaman, I, Vampire.

Jonah Hex is a weirdly funny guy. His casual response of “I only see 7.” when Arkham said there were too many people and that they needed backup, was hysterical.

That was a great first arc of Aquaman. A little rushed, but I assume we will back track to that eventually. I felt like I learned so much more about Arthur in the first 4 issues here, than in anything else I have read with him in it. And I, Vampire just continues to be a good read. It’s another one that I just want to read all of right now, instead of wait for each month.

Likes: Batman:TDK, Blackhawks, Firestorm, Green Lantern: New Guardians, JLD, Hawkman, Superman, Voodoo.

I usually like the detective style Batman books more and TDK is doing a good job with that. Plus, a sassy Alfred and it hits 2 of my big needs for a Bat book. Blackhawks is fun. I’m not 100% sure on what is going on. But I am enjoying it.

Firestorm was better this week. I like seeing the boys work together and figuring out their powers. New Guardians is my second favorite Green Lantern book right now. Only because Corps is just so good. But it is nice to see Kyle getting the spotlight. And learning about the other corps is fun.

Justice League Dark is still slightly confusing but gorgeous. And I like the cast they have in play. Deadman, Zatanna and Constantine in anything is usually an auto-like for me. Hawkman had a interesting first arc. I’m curious to read more, so I count that as a win.

Superman gets a like. (shock) Though, I am am still confused on his timeline. In this book, he is casually talking to the cops at the police station. But in Action Comics everyone want to arrest him, including the Government. And in Justice League, no one really know who he is. But, beyond that it was a good issue.

Voodoo was good this week. I liked this one a lot better than previous issues. I’m still not sure what her goal is, or if I should even be rooting for her. But I like the art and how her shapeshifting is shown.

This has been fun to do each week and I look forward to continuing it next year!

4 Likes

Yes, that Aquaman arc is amazing.

4 Likes

I am caught up again. I enjoyed all of this week’s comics. I am liking Barry in The Flash a lot. Voodoo is still a little weird, but that is probably the point.

3 Likes

Week 1/4/12 is complete.

No re-reads this week.

Love: Animal Man, Red Lanterns, Stormwatch, Swamp Thing.

Animal Man gets better every week. I love seeing Maxine with her powers and the moment she knew she had been tricked. As the audience, you remember she is just a little kid. Red Lanterns was great because I like the backstories for all of the Lanterns. I hope we get more of those. I prefer the Red Lanterns who can think through their Rage, versus the ones who are mindless.

Stormwatch was a surprise love for me this week. It had a lot of good info, plus the fight with Harry and Midnighter. And that last page. Swamp Thing had a couple sweet moments that melded perfectly with the horror and scary of the Rot.

Like: Action Comics, Batwing, Detective Comics, Green Arrow, Hawk and Dove, JLI, Men of War, OMAC, Static Shock.

Yeah, Action Comics was just a re-telling of his origin story but I kind of liked that it was from Brainiac’s point of view. I don’t think I’ve seen it that way before. Batwing was great. I enjoy his character a lot and I feel like we get so much more depth to him in every chapter.

I almost liked the back-up story in Detective better than the main. Which is crazy because it was a Catwoman based story. But overall the main story is good.

Green Arrow is hit and miss for me. (No pun intended) Last week, it read as funny to me. This week it really wasn’t. But the action was good so it still gets a like. But I think Oliver’s voice is just off somehow. I can’t really explain it. I haven’t read enough Green Arrow either, so it might just be me.

Hawk and Dove felt very rushed this week. But Deadman was in it so it gets an auto-like. But, seriously, it felt like the writer had many issues planned to finish this arc and was told they only had one. It felt way too rushed. JLI was fun. I enjoy the un-willing team dynamic they have going on. Somehow Booster and Guy make a great team.

Men of War almost made the love list this week. Not sure why I loved it so much when I have struggled with it in past weeks. But it had a good feel this week. I like the group they met, and Rock’s actions. Almost all of the dialogue was good too. If the next issue is this good, it’ll be in the love list next month.

OMAC was a little confusing. I think they just really wanted a crossover. But I like Frankenstein so I won’t complain there. Static Shock is almost always fun. I am still a bit lost on the whole Sharon thing. But that’s from a previous series so maybe one day I’ll read that.

Meh: No meh’s this week!

Thanks for reading the first essay of the New Year!

5 Likes