Reading ALL of the New 52

No hard and fast rules here - just for fun. Read what you want at your own pace!

4 Likes

I forgot how long issue #1’s usually are. But I’ve read Action Comics and Animal Man #1 so far and both were very good. I forgot Grant Morrison was on Action Comics. I’m not a big Superman person so I haven’t read it before and I’m excited to read that for the first time.

I know very little about Animal Man and the first issue hooked me perfectly. I can’t wait to keep reading that.

4 Likes

The talent involved in this so far has been top shelf. Action Comics was a new twist on Superman, eh!?! Wow! Loved seeing that side of him and the reaction from the public.

Lex is Lex!

As for Animal Man - Jeff Lemire is phenomenal and always brings something unique and twisted. This is no different. What a start (that first page was great) and what an ending!

4 Likes

Ok, I am in on this. I have read different series in the new 52, but reading everything by publication date should be fun. I loved the art in both Flashpoint and Justice League. It was nice to see emotion from Bruce in Flashpoint.

4 Likes

So, I made a quick excel spreadsheet so I can keep track of what I have read. I have no idea if it will work in the long run, but it should help in the beginning at least. :woman_shrugging:

I will say listing out all 52 titles is sort of scary. And I know there will be more because some got cancelled and new ones started up.

4 Likes

Great to have you joining us, Scoop001!

The emotion from Bruce at the end of Flashpoint was moving, for sure. Beautifully drawn and executed by the writer, artists and editors.

Jim Lee is one helluva artist, no doubt about that. The visuals in Justice League are so well done and have a sense of grandeur while also having attention to detail. Very enjoyable to look at and a reminder why comics are so fun to read.

4 Likes

I have read the next batch of comics. I had read about half of them before. So far, I am liking everything.

4 Likes

I haven’t read most of these before. Some I have heard of the plot lines before and others I haven’t heard of at all. So, it is really interesting for me. I’m curious how this will continue with the rest of the series.

I did forget that Scott Snyder wrote the Swamp Thing series too. So, I’m sure that will be a scary one. But I did like the first issue. Actually, there wasn’t an issue so far that I haven’t liked.

4 Likes

Scott Snyder
Geoff Johns
Jeff Lemire
Grant Morrison
Jim Lee

A-TEAM!

5 Likes

(Sorry, couldn’t resist.)

3 Likes

Ha! Loved that show when I was a kid. It did NOT hold up. :smile:

4 Likes

I know them from Robot Chicken and nothing else.

4 Likes

Hey @Row.Harper and @scoop001 - check out these sketches from the 10th Anniversary edition of The New 52 book I got. Here you can see the evolution and alternate takes for Animal Man.

5 Likes

Just finished reading Batgirl #1 and what a great issue. The artwork was phenomenal! I love the two covers and the tread on Batgirl’s bike was awesome!

Finally - was that an Easter Egg I spied as a reference to a future moment in The New 52?

4 Likes

I remember my new 52 binge. I think I read 30 comics that day.

4 Likes

Batwing was the first one that didn’t impress me. It was very intriguing and different, and I love the concept of a Batman inspired character in Africa, but it was a step below the rest I’ve read so far.

4 Likes

Me in Africa should be named for their scariest animal, the honey bee.

3 Likes

I loved Batman Inc. so I was happy to see Batwing. I think this is one of the series I have read previously, but I don’t remember it as well.

4 Likes

I do like Batman, Inc. I think this one just suffered compared to the excellence I had been reading - Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison and Jeff Lemire - because I really liked Men of War which I read right after Batwing.

5 Likes

Ok, I’m moving onto the next week’s readings. I’m going to attempt to stay a week ahead because I know I will fall behind eventually. So, sorry if this messes you up, FelixLeiter.

But Batman and Robin #1 is a fun read. I’ve read this whole series before. I’m pretty sure I own it both in trades and single issues. I love this series. Damian is an absolute jerk to his father and has no sense of responsibility. (He learns eventually.) But after the previous Batman and Robin series being mostly Dick and Damian, it is really nice to finally see Bruce and Damian ‘work’ together.

Plus, anything by Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason is a auto-win in my book.

Batwoman #1 is actually a rough intro to her character. I feel like it assumes you know her if you have picked up this issue. And as someone who has never read a Batwoman comic before, it was kind of a rough read. I know the basics because of the TV show and from random comic crossovers that she has been in. But this one issue wasn’t a very good introduction. I did read the 0 issue too. Which was a much better explanation of her character, but if someone only picked up #1 as their first experience to Batwoman, I think they would be very lost.

Deathstroke was a fun read. And I was very interested to read Demon Knights and Frankenstein. I don’t know much about the characters those series are about so I was really looking forward to them. And I loved both of their first issues.

4 Likes