Reading ALL of the New 52

Well it’s been a minute but I am back! My interest in reading the entirety of the New 52 has been re-sparked by a YouTube channel that is doing the same thing. “The (Not So) New 52” is a podcast/YouTube show that is reading all of The New 52 in the order they were released in stores. I just saw the debut of Year Two and that got me fired up in a big way so I went back to Year One and am starting over!

I often vacillate between wanting to read the new books and wanting to read the books I missed but I have always been drawn to The New 52. I love the concept, I love the people involved and I love the depth that it goes into throughout DC.

So I’m starting where it started - week one of the New 52 from back on August 31, 2011:

• Flashpoint #5
  • Justice League #1

Reading Flashpoint #5 was more to wrap up where things were left off than to start The New 52 and it showed me how Barry Allen sacrificed his mother for the rest of the world, how we got back to this timeline and how everything ended from that event. Fantastic book - absolutely jam packed with action, surprises and great moments.

Then it was time to start The New 52 for real with Justice League #1. Geoff Johns and Jim Lee? What a powerhouse combination! The story was great as it goes back five years to a time when superheroes were new, when they didn’t know each other and when they weren’t trusted. Vic Stone is still a highly sought after football recruit, Green Lantern didn’t know Batman was real until he met him (I know they were chasing a Parademon with a Mother Box because I’ve watched/read enough since then to know it but loved seeing it for the first time in the comics) and neither of them had met Superman. Loved seeing the arrogance of Hal Jordan/Green Lantern, the competence of Bruce Wayne/Batman and the badassness of Superman. This was a very quick read and BEAUTIFUL book.

That’s it for week one of my effort. Easy-peasy. Next up is Week 2 from September 7, 2011 and I have a bit more on my plate:

• Action Comics #1
  • Animal Man #1
  • Batgirl #1
  • Batwing #1
  • Detective Comics #1
  • Green Arrow #1
  • Hawk & Dove #1
  • Justice League International #1
  • Men of War #1
  • OMAC #1
  • Static Shock #1
  • Stormwatch #1
  • Swamp Thing #1

Some of these I’ve read in the past as part of my first attempt at reading all of this and some of them I haven’t. One of the things I’ll enjoy about this process is utilizing the books I’ve bought over the years and this week is one of those weeks as I’ll get to read Animal Man #1 and Action Comics #1 in THE NEW 52 10TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION that I bought last year. When I get to the #0 issues I’ll get to break out THE NEW 52 ZERO OMNIBUS that I bought years ago. (Wish I had thought of this before I read Justice League #1!

If anyone is interested in joining me in this endeavor please drop a line below and let’s go back to 2011 together! Won’t cost a thing because all of these books are already included in the price of your DCUI subscription! @Row.Harper - you in on this? :smiley:

Edit - Adding @dominith.MK11989 in case he wants to join us as well!

5 Likes