👍🏻 📚 Read or Reject 👎🏻 💥 : DC Finest

In addition to the upcoming Absolute Power event, new details about Elseworlds and the return of DC to Wednesdays for New Comics Day in early July, DC also recently announced DC Finest, a line of collections schtuffed with The Good Stuff.

The inaugural launch of DC Finest titles includes:

:00_flash: DC Finest – The Flash: The Human Thunderbolt: Collects classic adventures of Barry Allen, the Silver Age Flash, by John Broome and Carmine Infantino, including 1956’s iconic Showcase #4. Also includes Silver Age Flash stories that include the first appearances of famous Flash rogues, including Captain Cold, Mirror Master, and Gorilla Grodd.

:batman: DC Finest – Batman: Year One & Two: Collects the Dark Knight’s adventures following the game-changing crossover Crisis on Infinite Earths, including Batman: Year One by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli and Batman: Year Two by Mike W. Barr and Todd McFarlane, plus more mid-to-late-’80s Batman stories from Barr, Max Allan Collins, Norm Breyfogle, and others.

:00_wonder_woman_stars: DC Finest – Wonder Woman: Origins & Omens: This collection spotlights fan-favorite writer Gail Simone’s run on Wonder Woman, starting with 2007’s “The Circle,” with artist Terry Dodson, plus celebrated story arcs “Ends of the Earth,” “Rise of the Olympian,” and “Warkiller,” featuring art by Aaron Lopresti.

:catwoman_hv_5: DC Finest – Catwoman: Life Lines: Selina Kyle steps out of Batman’s shadow and becomes a protagonist in her own right in this collection featuring Catwoman’s 1989 solo debut by Mindy Newell and J.J. Birch, Peter Milligan and Tom Grindberg’s Catwoman Defiant from 1992, and the first year of DC’s Catwoman ongoing series, by writer Jo Duffy and artist Jim Balent.

:superman_hv_4: DC Finest – Superman: The Coming of Superman: Features the Man of Steel’s earliest and most iconic adventures, starting with Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster’s groundbreaking Action Comics #1. This collection includes Action Comics #1-25, Superman #1-5, and New York World’s Fair Comics #1.

Will you :index_pointing_at_the_viewer: read or reject the DC Finest line?

If “read” is your answer, which titles are you most excited for and what titles would you like to see in future roll-outs of DC Finest?

7 Likes

I like seeing Year Two get some love but there is so much other Batman they could be collecting instead of just repackaging Year One and some other stuff.

5 Likes

Chintz my man, do please spill the beans on what you want to see in future DC Finest Batman-related releases.

For myself, I’ll go with Ed Brubaker’s run on Batman.

Sure, its already been collected, but it is such an underrated run (Bru’s only underrated DC run as I see things) and is always deserving of a new round of attention.

5 Likes

If they collected from about Batman #350 and Detective #517 until Crisis. It would be awesome to be able to read them going back and forth between titles. It’s harder to read the run digitally when you have to jump between Batman and 'Tec.

And also, since it’s my “wishlist”, give me Bronze Age Superman please. I loved those comics as a kid and would desperately love to revisit them.

5 Likes

I love Bronze Age Superman (and BA Action and World’s Finest as well), so I am definitely onboard with that idea! :raised_hands:t2:

I also wouldn’t mind seeing the Metal Men getting some love, DC Finest-style.

If someone at DC is reading, a DC Finest volume of Metamorpho v1 would be pretty nice as well.

Its only collected release to date is Showcase Presents: Metamorpho volume 1 (which collected Rex’s entire initial solo gig, plus a few other goodies) and that’s been OOP for years and years.

Metamorpho v1 + DC Finest=The Good Stuff and an easy sale…from me at least, but as Han Solo once said, “That’s one!” and you have to start somewhere, DC.

4 Likes

Hopefully, incoming readers will have a better time of reading DC characters at the height of their popularity with these collected editions. I can see some of the logic behind how they decided which stories made their way into each of these volumes, so I’d be interested to see which other characters receive the “DC Finest” treatment. Personally, I’m holding out hope for Green Lantern and Green Arrow :grin:

6 Likes

As an ardent defender of Year Two myself, I agree that this choice is a little odd. If I were encouraging someone to read both Year One and Year Two, I’d probably suggest that they read Legends of the Dark Knight #1-23 alongside them.

The first five issues, which together form the story “Shaman,” directly tie in with Year One. The last three issues, which are called “Faith,” serve as an excellent segue into Year Two. And the middle stories (“Gothic,” “Prey,” and “Venom”) offer a smooth transition between Miller’s and Barr’s approaches to Batman. So, you know, let’s collect them already!

7 Likes

On the subject of Legends of the Dark Knight, I would say that a collected edition of Doug Moench’s stories from that run (Prey, Heat, and Terror in particular) would be pretty great. Despite being pretty self-contained stories, there’s a pretty seamless thread throughout, and he does a great job of sticking to that core group of characters that are seen in Year One and pitting them in new, exciting adventures.

Admittedly, you could argue that any or all of those writers who consistently pitched in stories for Legends of the Dark Knight deserve to have their works reprinted together, but maybe that’s asking too much :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I want to see the 80s stuff with nocturna and jason todd repented a lot of those have never been in a trade.

5 Likes

I want war lord to get one.

4 Likes

I would love an omnibus.

4 Likes

Will all of these DC Finest titles be available for digital purchase? DC does not often digitize books of a larger size, i.e. compendiums, omnibus editions and absolutes.

Also…I would love to see volumes featuring the entirety of the Ostrander/Mandrake Spectre run, Firestorm, Blackhawk, and Warlord. It might be nice to see some volumes created for back-up stories of the distant past such as Nemesis, the Human Target, and others to be named later.

2 Likes

This is one of my favorites. I already have the omnibus but I am glad it is available for others.

5 Likes

Is this the entirety of Gail Simone’s Wonder Woman Omnibus?

3 Likes

The omnibus is pretty hefty so I am guessing not.

4 Likes

Pretty sure I already have all those Superman issues not originals of course I might check some of them out I probably won’t buy any though.

3 Likes