[REACTIONS] Zack Snyder's Justice League SPOILERS!

:flushed:How did I not notice that? Good catch!:slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Plus you have a Crispus Allen cameo. Do we have the Spectre movie on the way?

13 Likes

I absolutely loved seeing Henry’s Superman again! “Not impressed” is one of my favorite Superman moments ever! Hope there is more to come!

14 Likes

Loved it. I honestly did not think I would. You can tell that this was how things were meant to be.
Just to compare it to the MCU, with the avengers (and civil war) movies they were always the end of a chapter in the MCU while JL was always meant to be the beginning of the DCEU. The problem with that has always been the amount of information they needed to cram into a single film to make it work. The long run time fixed it.

Originally I thought the 4 hour run time was too long and they should have stuck with the 4, 1-hour parts but I was wrong and they made the correct decision. This allowed for extra info that added to the characters and also made the decision to do this first make more sense. Specifically with Aquaman, now it makes sense to me why it was released after JL.

The only real problems I had with it were some of the music choices towards the beginning as well as some of the transitions felt strange.

I hope they do continue with a slightly altered version of Snyder’s vision. Seriously, Bruce and Lois having a child is just stupid… but at the same time it is so stupid that I am curious to know how Snyder would have done it.

14 Likes

Fantastic just freaken fantastic so much better than the original. Loved the more in depth character storyline. Favorite was wonder woman real portrayal of the bad @$$ warrior she is! Superman is back dc needs Henry Cavil. Could this be a set up for Injustice. Dislikes lex an joker. I want more. Cyborg. Who knew he had such a big part. So happy will be watching again an again. It’s sad certain things were said by Snyder on a live stream that took away for what i think was a great movie.

10 Likes

For anyone who dug the soundtrack (basically, anyone who heard the soundtrack), there’s a live listening party tonight on YouTube with composer Tom Holkenborg!

Tune in at 2021-03-19T04:00:00Z here:

13 Likes

I really liked this movie! I haven’t seen the theatrical cut, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I think it held its own! It’s not perfect, of course. A lot of the beginning stuff seemed kinda boring and pointless, but around the 1 hour mark things started to kick in and I really enjoyed it. I loved how it felt like a comic book come to life, with all the hero poses, skybeams, Big Bads and costumes that entails. It was wonderful to see Batman have emotions other than rage or guilt and Superman actually serve as a symbol of hope. I screamed when Clark did the thing where he takes his glasses off and runs at the camera ripping off his shirt to reveal the Superman symbol. It warmed my little fangirl heart.

P.S I still hate Leto’s Joker laugh, but I actually DIDN’T hate everything else, which was a nice surprise. Don’t get me wrong, he’s nowhere near my favorite Joker, but I wasn’t actively dying inside every second he was onscreen. It was good to see Luthor being all Luthor-y, bald and rich and on a yacht and homicidal. I was also excited to see Deathstroke and Martian Manhunter! I hope they appear in future films.

14 Likes

I just got done watching it about 15 minutes ago and loved it. That Epilogue was EVERYTHING!

I know I missed Easter Eggs but I got a LOT of them which is unusual for me but it shows that reading the comics, watching the Arrowverse and generally immersing myself in DC Comics for the last three years has paid off! It was so fun to see the silhouette of Deathstroke on the boat and know immediately who it was rather than have my friends or the internet tell me afterwards. When Martian Manhunter appeared outside Lois’ apartment I made an audible “Ohhh!” to the point that my wife, in the other room, wondered if Hawkman was in the movie. (That would have been met with cheering.)

I thought the story development was great. The length of the movie gave the characters time to develop, gave each scene time to breathe and not every moment had to be impactful. There could be parts of a scene that were just fun, or character quirks, like Alfred not being able to help himself while he corrects Diana on how to make tea. Those parts make the movie better and while yes, it’s a long movie as others have pointed out it’s no longer than season one of ‘WandaVision’ if you watched that and it has just as much, if not more, story to cover.

I’m sure people that aren’t DC fans will not enjoy it as much. So what? We liked it - heck, we loved it - and that’s what it’s about. I hope it inspires people to get more into DC Comics so they know who Ryan Choi is, who Slade Wilson is, who Martian Manhunter is and more.

HBO Max got my subscription money the day this was announced in 2020 (May 20th) and it was worth every cent. I hope they give Zack Snyder the money to continue his #SnyderVerse for as long as he wants, I hope they let him make the films the way he wants and I hope they put them all on HBO Max in 4x3 aspect.

I loved it and will watch it again soon.

12 Likes

I enjoyed how Superman is able to beat Steppenwolf in two minutes flat. It really cemented that all the trouble the league goes to in order to bring him back to life on short notice was worth it. I also appreciated that The Flash is the MVP at the end and that Barry Allen was able to time travel without monstrously screwing something up (so far). I found the film as a whole enjoyable.

16 Likes

Maybe, if we had this version instead of the other released, we could now be looking forward to a JL2 movie. Unfortunately, this will never happen because the “bean counters” didn’t see a big enough return in their investment. All because some bigwig somewhere decided to water down and flat out change Snyder’s vision. I’m a DC fan to the core. I’m glad that DC is not Marvel. That being said, by deciding to make the first film appeal to Marvel fans, they missed the boat. And real DC fans got disappointed. Maybe, on some alternate earth somewhere I am enjoying a Snyder version of the DCEU that somehow continued.

9 Likes

Best. DC movie. Ever! We NEED a sequel to this!

8 Likes

There’s too much to even digest in a thought out response. Overall it’s what I planned on seeing from Snyder: slow motion, excess, muted color palette, slow motion, melodrama, slow songs, and slow motion. Those are criticisms but I don’t feel like a “hater”. I would say I’m mostly indifferent as the things I disliked were balanced by what I liked.

Liked: the fight at the monument was the first time I thought “this is what the DCEU could be”. Diana being a warrior again (I thought WW84 fights were lame). I actually liked Ezra Miller better (no brunch!). Amber Heard is a slightly better actress with an English accent. The story didn’t need to be that long but absolutely benefitted from being fleshed out. The Amazons are badass.

Disliked: slow motion. I know it’s Snyder’s signature but holy god I got frustrated with it. I think it had a negative impact on the Flash sequences because it wasn’t special when Barry did it. The songs and the chorus/vocal parts of the score were eye rolling. I liked Manhunter but the way he said his name was cringey. The ladies singing as Arthur walked into the water went on for way too long.

Not necessarily dislike but it didn’t need the cursing and extra blood. I don’t mind those in general but it added nothing except manufactured “edge” and personally I find that dumb.

Hated: the Knightmare epilogue. I thought that was absolutely awful acting and design and writing. It reminded me of bad fanfic and easily takes 1 star off of a review. Seriously some truly bad filmmaking (in my opinion). Still hate Eisenberg’s Luther.

6 Likes

Zack Snyder’s Justice League is a true and proper epic, which we really haven’t seen since Superman: The Movie. We actually get to live in scenes and soak them in to their fullest, which makes me wonder if Snyder’s previous films would have worked better with a more deliberate pace. (Then again, they weren’t designed as epics, though BvS was a classic tragedy.) The “DC heroes as modern mythological figures” concept, which has been baked into this fictional universe since 1938, is finally fully realized on screen. This film captures what makes the DC brand a worthy “distinguished competition” to the House of Ideas and not just an uninspired knockoff (as the theatrical cut would suggest).

11 Likes

Definitely better than the theatrical release, I love the Injustice feel of the future scenes, as it shows that superman is an angel one step away from falling from grace. However, I wish they revealed more about this particular incarnation of Batman. however, it’s also nice that he is still the unknown of the team. I also love that J’onn J’onzz was in the film and revealed to be the general who advised Lois in batman v superman. It was one heck of a ride, and really set the bar it should have been.

yes it did not follow the avengers and it should not be the next end game as we have not actually gotten to know these guys very well, this is the origin of the Justice League and needs to be compared to Avengers (2012) and not avengers end game. and I would say this cut is better than Avengers (2012).

9 Likes

I made a Justice League Film Version poll if anybody interested.:slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Great job to all who worked on this film!!!

GREAT film. I did not see the original, waiting for this version, and I really didn’t think the movie was too long at all. It had the space to really tell the story, which what is missing from so many films today. All the characters were great but Batman, Flash the most. The best part was the “humanity” of the characters saving Earth, rather than depending on aliens to save the Earth. I felt that was the greatest strength of the movie.

I would have rather had Green Lantern help Cyborg at the end, than Superman. (Remember the JSA didn’t need Superman most of the time.) But there was a rationale to bring back Superman. I like Martian Manhunter and would have liked to see him more, but having the most “human” characters save the Earth was the real and best story here.

Unlike Marvel, the JLA are “legends,” whose history goes beyond 1960s. That plays better on a long movie, unlike say the Avengers. Different group, different story altogether, not just group of costumes. I really do like the subtle introduction of multiverse, and I hope DC uses that again in the future.

11 Likes

Just finished the movie and it is definitely one of my favorite superhero movies. :metal:

12 Likes

I didn’t view it through a human vs alien lense but without Superman, Cyborg gets chopped into little metal pieces. The end.

6 Likes

Hands down my favourite line was “There’s six. Not five. There’s no us without him.” So many beautiful visual moments. Too many to name.

10 Likes

Impressions so far: (paused at 56:50).

It’s exactly what I expected- dour, pretentious, edgy in the sense that Azrael and Spawn would be going “hey dial it back a bit, buddy”, dodgy CGI that looks like an early PS3 game, you could shave an hour off the run time just by dropping the slow-mo/speed ramping. Alongside the things I find negatives, it has gorgeous artsy photography and has a consistent (dour, doomy) tone, which is almost unheard of in superhero movies. It’s the ultimate Zack Snyder movie, and if you’re a fan of his style, that should work for you, and if like myself you’re not, it’s not gonna change your mind.

One thing in particular that strikes me as strange is focus on a tertiary character during a scene in a manner that suggests they’re important, and then they disappear and are never heard from again. This happens multiple times in the first hour. There was the town mayor when Bruce meets Aquaman who seems to be important…until the scene is over. There was the little girl during the Wonder Woman fight early on- is she supposed to be important? Is Diana gonna take her on as Wonder Girl? Another was during Steppenwolf’s attack on the Amazons- Hippolyta kneels to comfort an amazon trapped under horse and all the other Themyscirans gather around as if this is profound and we’ve known this character with ONE LINE for more than two minutes. It’s giving something akin to Boromir’s death scene in LOTR to a random grunt.

But; I don’t quite hate it, and I hated MoS and BvS. I plan to finish watching it.

7 Likes