[REACTIONS] Zack Snyder's Justice League SPOILERS!

Maybe, if we had this version instead of the other released, we could now be looking forward to a JL2 movie. Unfortunately, this will never happen because the “bean counters” didn’t see a big enough return in their investment. All because some bigwig somewhere decided to water down and flat out change Snyder’s vision. I’m a DC fan to the core. I’m glad that DC is not Marvel. That being said, by deciding to make the first film appeal to Marvel fans, they missed the boat. And real DC fans got disappointed. Maybe, on some alternate earth somewhere I am enjoying a Snyder version of the DCEU that somehow continued.

9 Likes

Best. DC movie. Ever! We NEED a sequel to this!

8 Likes

There’s too much to even digest in a thought out response. Overall it’s what I planned on seeing from Snyder: slow motion, excess, muted color palette, slow motion, melodrama, slow songs, and slow motion. Those are criticisms but I don’t feel like a “hater”. I would say I’m mostly indifferent as the things I disliked were balanced by what I liked.

Liked: the fight at the monument was the first time I thought “this is what the DCEU could be”. Diana being a warrior again (I thought WW84 fights were lame). I actually liked Ezra Miller better (no brunch!). Amber Heard is a slightly better actress with an English accent. The story didn’t need to be that long but absolutely benefitted from being fleshed out. The Amazons are badass.

Disliked: slow motion. I know it’s Snyder’s signature but holy god I got frustrated with it. I think it had a negative impact on the Flash sequences because it wasn’t special when Barry did it. The songs and the chorus/vocal parts of the score were eye rolling. I liked Manhunter but the way he said his name was cringey. The ladies singing as Arthur walked into the water went on for way too long.

Not necessarily dislike but it didn’t need the cursing and extra blood. I don’t mind those in general but it added nothing except manufactured “edge” and personally I find that dumb.

Hated: the Knightmare epilogue. I thought that was absolutely awful acting and design and writing. It reminded me of bad fanfic and easily takes 1 star off of a review. Seriously some truly bad filmmaking (in my opinion). Still hate Eisenberg’s Luther.

6 Likes

Zack Snyder’s Justice League is a true and proper epic, which we really haven’t seen since Superman: The Movie. We actually get to live in scenes and soak them in to their fullest, which makes me wonder if Snyder’s previous films would have worked better with a more deliberate pace. (Then again, they weren’t designed as epics, though BvS was a classic tragedy.) The “DC heroes as modern mythological figures” concept, which has been baked into this fictional universe since 1938, is finally fully realized on screen. This film captures what makes the DC brand a worthy “distinguished competition” to the House of Ideas and not just an uninspired knockoff (as the theatrical cut would suggest).

11 Likes

Definitely better than the theatrical release, I love the Injustice feel of the future scenes, as it shows that superman is an angel one step away from falling from grace. However, I wish they revealed more about this particular incarnation of Batman. however, it’s also nice that he is still the unknown of the team. I also love that J’onn J’onzz was in the film and revealed to be the general who advised Lois in batman v superman. It was one heck of a ride, and really set the bar it should have been.

yes it did not follow the avengers and it should not be the next end game as we have not actually gotten to know these guys very well, this is the origin of the Justice League and needs to be compared to Avengers (2012) and not avengers end game. and I would say this cut is better than Avengers (2012).

9 Likes

I made a Justice League Film Version poll if anybody interested.:slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Great job to all who worked on this film!!!

GREAT film. I did not see the original, waiting for this version, and I really didn’t think the movie was too long at all. It had the space to really tell the story, which what is missing from so many films today. All the characters were great but Batman, Flash the most. The best part was the “humanity” of the characters saving Earth, rather than depending on aliens to save the Earth. I felt that was the greatest strength of the movie.

I would have rather had Green Lantern help Cyborg at the end, than Superman. (Remember the JSA didn’t need Superman most of the time.) But there was a rationale to bring back Superman. I like Martian Manhunter and would have liked to see him more, but having the most “human” characters save the Earth was the real and best story here.

Unlike Marvel, the JLA are “legends,” whose history goes beyond 1960s. That plays better on a long movie, unlike say the Avengers. Different group, different story altogether, not just group of costumes. I really do like the subtle introduction of multiverse, and I hope DC uses that again in the future.

11 Likes

Just finished the movie and it is definitely one of my favorite superhero movies. :metal:

12 Likes

I didn’t view it through a human vs alien lense but without Superman, Cyborg gets chopped into little metal pieces. The end.

6 Likes

Hands down my favourite line was “There’s six. Not five. There’s no us without him.” So many beautiful visual moments. Too many to name.

10 Likes

Impressions so far: (paused at 56:50).

It’s exactly what I expected- dour, pretentious, edgy in the sense that Azrael and Spawn would be going “hey dial it back a bit, buddy”, dodgy CGI that looks like an early PS3 game, you could shave an hour off the run time just by dropping the slow-mo/speed ramping. Alongside the things I find negatives, it has gorgeous artsy photography and has a consistent (dour, doomy) tone, which is almost unheard of in superhero movies. It’s the ultimate Zack Snyder movie, and if you’re a fan of his style, that should work for you, and if like myself you’re not, it’s not gonna change your mind.

One thing in particular that strikes me as strange is focus on a tertiary character during a scene in a manner that suggests they’re important, and then they disappear and are never heard from again. This happens multiple times in the first hour. There was the town mayor when Bruce meets Aquaman who seems to be important…until the scene is over. There was the little girl during the Wonder Woman fight early on- is she supposed to be important? Is Diana gonna take her on as Wonder Girl? Another was during Steppenwolf’s attack on the Amazons- Hippolyta kneels to comfort an amazon trapped under horse and all the other Themyscirans gather around as if this is profound and we’ve known this character with ONE LINE for more than two minutes. It’s giving something akin to Boromir’s death scene in LOTR to a random grunt.

But; I don’t quite hate it, and I hated MoS and BvS. I plan to finish watching it.

7 Likes

I like the reminders that people are real in this movie. Reminds us what they’re fighting for. They are humanizing moments that ground the rationale of the heroes.

10 Likes

It dehumanizes the characters though when they don’t even have a name and we know nothing about them. It’s not great storytelling.

6 Likes

I don’t think you need to know the name of a person to care about them. But I respect your opinion regardless.

6 Likes

I don’t get the, “this movie is too long” complaint… It’s on HBOMAX you can pause and take breaks whenever you want.
Okay, first the bad, Dude, The slow dramatic music ques… After the first 3 I was sitting here thinking, wait, is this why the movie is 4 hours. I get it this is grand epic storytelling with larger than life characters, but come on, less slow music, more Superman punchy.
I swear, I’m going to take a screen shot, and up load every time in the movie, the closed caption says
[ancient lamentation music playing]

That is all that I remember that was bad. :slight_smile:
The Great, Cyborg and Flash, giving them backgrounds, giving them character arcs. Yes.
More Amy Adams is always better, and when Martha turned into Martian Manhunter, I let out an audible . EEEEEeeeeeeeeeeee
I’m glad Zack got rid of some of Whedon’s takes.
Flash groping WW gone
The family in Russia they had to save gone
Batman you can talk to fish gone
actually, Zack got rid of a lot of Aquaman’s, and Batman’s, and Flash’s stupid one liners.
Flash was still funny, but Whedon made Flash an unfunny joke.
DUDE!, when Aquaman stabbed Steppenwolf in the back, and Wonder Woman Chopped his head off. yes Yes YES !
I don’t know if this was in the original Justice League, but when Barry delivers the line " I’m so glad we have a plan now" I was like LOL, Take That Josstice League.
Darkseid and DeSaad … EVERYTHING !
I want to see Zack’s Justice League 2 and 3, but yeah I agree with an earlier reply.
If they do that Lois Lane Batman baby… ugh… that would be so dumb.

9 Likes

Barry had some awkward moments, but his character was no longer solely awkward. His character was multifaceted, finally. The ones he did have, worked. Much to my relief.

9 Likes

I enjoyed most of it, and thought it made more sense overall in the DCEU up to that point. The only part I actually disliked was the Joker. The could have just had him mention the parents and boy wonder; the rest was just weird and too long.

Edit… where did people get the idea that Lois and Bruce had a fling? I didn’t get that impression at all. I figured the pregnancy test was a hint at a potential baby Jon.

7 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised. Obviously, the expectations going in were different, but there a number of instances in WW84 where I was noticing things were taking too long, and only a couple in this movie (Aquaman walking down the pier, grieving for the Amazon under the horse). The climax for this was way better than the original. What was most surprising was that there were zero scenes where I was thinking it demanded to be replaced with a reshoot scene. I’m still not positive that Whedon wouldn’t have produced something as entertaining if they’d greenlit a three-hour run time for him. But it was clear that what Whedon shot in new material was not noticiably better than what Snyder had to begin with. If they had held off releasing the theatrical version for a bit, and just put out a 2.5-3 hour version of what Snyder shot, they would have probably had better box officie, and they’d certainly have a lower break-even point with no reshoots.

9 Likes

I don’t either, I just think within the context of storytelling, if you’re going to make a character the emotional core of the scene they shouldn’t just be a throwaway nobody, they should be somebody the audience is at least introduced to first so that the scene has stakes and context. But then that’s characterization, which Snyder has basically never been good at.

4 Likes

Not sure I agree. Just saw the Grace Randolph [ Beyond the trailer ] review.
The first fight scene with Steppenwolf outside the hudson river building.
When the people were running outside, and Flash using his powers to save them from the collapsing building. Joss took that scene out, because he said the audience wouldn’t know what’s going on.
Plus, and this cannot be argued… Joss added the weird Superman mustache scene at the beginnig of the movie… That is NOT in Zack’s version.

4 Likes