[REACTIONS] Superman & Lois S1 Ep 1- "Premiere" - Spoilers!

I thought I would enjoy this show and it did not dissapoint. The twist in the end as well as

the reveal of which son actually had powers were things I sadly was spoiled by, which is a shame because they were both well done and I might have gone with the “seems to obvious” on the first twist the ending would have definitely got me.

I liked the interaction between the family, although I hope Jordan Kent will be written better going on. His behavior is realistic given he has anxiety, but could see it getting grating to watch as a viewer.

Johnathan was also an interesing character. The dislikable jock has become such a trope especially recently so glad he was not of that mold. And am interested to see where he and Jordan’s relationship goes moving forward.

I am curious about the kids age. I am usually not a continuity nerd, but given this is set in the Arrowverse I am not clear on why his kids are now teenagers. I got that Crisis changed it to Clark and Lois having twins instead of one kid, but did it not only age them up but re-write it so everyone remembers them always being there (always as in the last 15 years or however old they are). Am fine with either an will even forgive the fact that if it’s the latter Clark should remember they have not been around all that time, but for dramatic effect I am cool with ignoring that plot hole.

As for the rest… Lana’s family showed potential. I like she is in this, and while the lack of red hair initially made me say that doens’t look like Lana, I somehow forgot she didn’t have red hair in Smallville (the TV series) either obviously, which is what the majority probably know her from. Guess having watched Superboy back in the day I still think of Stacy Haudik when I think of Lana.

Something about her personality seemed off compared to the comics, but aside from that being a thing that sometimes happens when adapting to TV, it also is presumably a decade from the Lana we see portrayed in the comics, or really any media so that would also explain any of it. Kind of weird she didn’t know about his powers since more or less since the mid 80’s she always has, but storyline wise it makes sense to change that.

Lana’s daughter is interesting although kind of hope nothing comes of the hinted romance between her and Jordan, only because while I get the characters are the same age I know about the age difference with the actors and don’t want to have to pretend I don’t know for multiple seasons.

Lana’s husband seems interesting too. He definitely was supposed to be unlikable. But he did seem to have signs of being a decent guy underneath, and Lana’s daughter (sorry still don’t know her name) telling the story about her dad’s job did humanize him some. I am hoping they will go the less predictable way and instead of him being a heavy who is just biding time until Lana inevitably leaves him that they add some nuance, and maybe a redemption arc of sorts. His character seemed very real to the types of families that exist in small town rural America. So hope he sticks around and is shown to be more of a flawed character than jut a bad person. Those are the type of characters I like watching in shows.

Not sure what the point of giving Lana a younder daughter was, she didn’t even have a line in the show and her age would seem to keep her marginalized from the rest of the cast. But if they are apparently going to have to pay someone to play her the writers much have something planned.

I also liked seeing Sam Lane in the show. Not that he has not been adapted before, he has in most contemporary live action Superman where Lois is a character. But while I am not as up to date on Rebirth and New-52 Superman, having him be in on Superman’s secret and working so clos to him seemed off. But given it is the Arrowverse where no hero seems to truly operate without some kind of behind the scenes support I guess they couldn’t completely go against it.

I was harkened back to Supergirl when Jimmy said once Superman refuses to work alongside the government. But won’t hold them to a throwaway line they made long before this show was likely even remotely considered. Besides, you could just blame that change on Crisis re-writing it.

All in all a good show. I do think some might complain about it going too slow, since it seems to follow the Lois and Clark (the TV series from the 90’s) mold of focusing more on the character’s lives and interactions over action and Superman in the suit. But if it continues to be as well done as this episode, I think most will come around.

While the comics have covered Superman as a parent even before recent comics, Lois and Clark as parents it obviously still cannon now. But it is a side of them most are not familiar with, and this show is different enough from even the comics it feels like a true fresh take.

I predict yet another Successful Superman/Superman related show to cover the near perfect success rate of Superman related live action series… we’ll call Krypton a fluke.

6 Likes

I watch it and enjoy every bit of it. Where was this show 20 years ago? I really thought the first episode of Superman And Lois was really good. It was so sad to see Martha Kent die, I think this is the first time we ever see her died on screen.
I like how Clark and Lois has 2 sons, so it really make sense if you think about it, if it’s just 1, then the show would’ve almost been like Smallville, and of course that’s been already done.
Two brother hanging out together is a right choice.
And the Kent Farm! That house drive me crazy! I was thinking that it look so familiar, wonder if that was the same house in Transformer 4 starring Mark Walberg. Then again I could be wrong. I look forward to watching the next episode.
I was suprise that Supergirl didn’t make a cameo appearance even when her show is now over.:slightly_smiling_face:
:superman:

8 Likes

That would be really interesting actually and would play into some of the themes of the show really well.

4 Likes

I just downloaded the CW app. I gotta check out this new Superman and Lois show based on all the good feedback. Also, Stargirl starts back up this, Summer.

4 Likes

I think you’ll like it. Just tapping into Stargirl. My kids love it!

4 Likes

Part of me wonders if maybe she wasn’t told but she had a feeling. She did talk about how strange things happened a lot when Clark was living in Smallville…

Definitely – having lived more in a similar spot in the country for a while, I have say that this pilot really gets that segment of America right, and I think they’re going for something interesting exploring between the more metropolitan coast cities that Lois represents, and the more rugged but worn-down midwest that Nick (I think that was his name) represents, with Clark being a sort of bridge between the two.

Definitely – in fact, I’m going to say something that might be a bit controversial, but I think this pilot of Superman and Lois is already WAY better than pretty much everything they’ve done with Jon in the comics. I liked the idea of making Superman a father in the comics, but I never really liked the execution – he felt less like Superman and more a sitcom dad, and it just never connected to me. I think this story is the first time they really explored Superman as a father in a way that really feels authentic and real.

My guess is they probably couldn’t because of Covid restrictions. From what I understand, to crossover, an actor needs to be quarantined for two weeks before and after being on the new set, which makes scheduling a bit of a hassle.

Hopefully maybe in season two, when restrictions are probably much looser, we could see Supergirl come in for an episode.

6 Likes

I had worries going into this show, but I ended up really enjoying it.

5 Likes

With some of the comic inspirations they used for the show and the topic of mental health they’ve tackled it’d be another nice nod to the comics if they incorporate a scene similar to where Superman stays by the side of a girl who’s suicidal. I could see that possibly happening with the girl Jordan likes since they established she’s had her own issues.

Also has anyone else kept replaying those first 4 minutes of the show? I’ve lost count after 50. It’s seriously my favorite Superman stuff on screen in quite some time. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

The fact that Jordan will be heading to The Fortress of Solitude, I’m all-in! That’s just one of the many things I’m excited to see.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Enjoyed the premiere and am looking forward to the next episode.

4 Likes

I definitely wasn’t expecting to see her because of this, and I’m sure the same will go for the rest of the season. But the fact that Kara wasn’t even mentioned at any point in the episode is a huge oversight. Was she even at the funeral?

4 Likes

I hope eventually we get Jon Cryer’s Lex on the show; be it this season or next.

Outside of Crisis, we haven’t seen them interact.

7 Likes

I liked the Christopher Reeve Easter egg where he froze the lake to put out the fires.

5 Likes

I do too. I absolutely love Cryer’s Lex. He just embodies the character so perfectly, it’s insane.

6 Likes

I was really looking forward to and badly wanting this show from the moment Tyler Hoechlin was cast in the role for Supergirl. The premiere was the only thing on my mind on days leading up. And after all this anticipation and excitement, I can honestly say that it still managed to exceed my expectations.

While I love the character and I loved all the casting for the show as they were announced, I was still managing my expectations. I like the Arrowverse well enough, but it is certainly not without its fair share of flaws. I was just hoping for this to be on par with The Flash. But this show just knocks it out of the park. First, the direction, cinematography, and CG is far better than anything we’ve seen so far on the CW. It’s not movie quality, but it’s pretty frickin incredible for the budget and the channel it broadcasts on.

The writing is also pretty great. I really enjoy the way the story is focusing more on Clark and his family more than him being a hero. Afterall, I think most comic fans will agree that the most interesting part of Superman is Clark himself. Being able to have a character piece that showcases his shortcomings and trying to grow as a person is really interesting. I also really like the twins. I think they are holding their own and do add a really interesting dynamic for Clark that we haven’t seen so far. I will say that it has its fair share of melodramatic moments and unrealistic writing. The boys in particular struggle with this (that “HowToBasic” line made me cringe so bad). But it’s not nearly as bad as the other CW shows.

To quickly sum up the rest, the acting is really good. Tyler Hoechlin has honestly established himself as my favorite portrayal of the character so far (although I was biased since I loved his previous work a lot before he got cast). Bitsie Tulloch also continues to crush it as Lois. And the rest of the cast is pretty great overall as well. On top of all this, the action in this show is the most dynamic, interesting, and well-shot that we’ve seen so far. It’s really engaging.

My only real criticism is that the audio on the show was a little quiet. I kept having to switch the volume between the show and the commercials. But that might have just been a me thing.

Overall these first two episodes were pretty phenomenal in my eyes and I am so excited to see where it goes next!

8 Likes

I watched Superman & Lois absolutely loved it! As a Superman fan that read the comics these the stories that need to be told. As a Father this impacted me and touched my heart. The fact of seeing Superman dealings with teenagers and having the same struggles made me feel less alone. I talk more about it below and thanks for reading my post.

6 Likes
6 Likes

Just to see what his and Hoechlin’s dynamic is would be amazing. I’ll even take a flashback with Cryer! Anything to see how these two interact as Superman and Lex.

7 Likes
  • I want to see the Fleischer suit in battle once.

• I’m warming to it leaning on family drama.

• Please don’t make Lex a Tony Stark rip.

7 Likes