Ranking the Superman Live-Action Movies

Yup. That’s what I mean. For a Silver Age fan I’m sure there’s no issue with the movie. For me the only version of the character is Byrne’s MoS. For many it’s the Golden Age. Just a different flavor. I’m somewhere between what we got with Snyder and what we got with Lester.

2 Likes

I think I have to change my order and put Man of Steel second after Superman the Movie and before the Donner Cut of Superman II. MOS is definitely my favorite modern superhero movie by far and it ranks right up there for me with all Superman movies.

Superman Returns is dead last—or not even making my list. I will definitely take every Superman movie made before that one.

2 Likes

Oh man, what an awesome idea for a list. I went over to Letterboxd and made the list on there, too. This is what I came up with for me

Superman Ranking

2 Likes

Now, I want to go rank the Batman Live action movies

1 Like
  1. Superman: The Movie
  2. Superman II (original cut)
  3. Superman Returns
  4. Superman II (Donner cut)
  5. Superman and the Mole Men
  6. Man of Steel
  7. Superman III
    I’m sorry I just can’t put Superman IV on this list. Now, if we were ranking the worst movies ever made…
  • Superman
  • Superman II (I like both versions equally)
  • Superman Returns
  • Superman and the Mole Men
  • Superman III
  • Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

The last Superman movie was made in 2006.
So a new Superman movie around 2026 or later , 2033 seems like a good time frame. Give the franchise 20-30 years of time in between films or film franchises makes quite a lot of sense.

1 Like

The last Superman-centric movie was Man of Steel, which came out in 2013, so in terms of distance between movies, I’d love to see a new movie in 2023.

It’d be a great way to celebrate MOS’s 10 year anniversary and, given talk of Cavill taking flight again, that’s likely the earliest we could get a new movie, even factoring in current, industry-wide production hurdles.

2 Likes
  • Superman: The Movie
  • Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition)
  • Man of Steel
  • Superman II
  • Superman III
  • Superman Returns
  • Justice League (theatrical)
  • Superman IV: The Quest for Peace

I’ve said before the 1978 movie deserves to be placed on a pedestal, and this list reflects that. It started the modern day superhero genre. All the other entries on the list owe something to the Donner film. I almost didn’t rank it at all, out of respect.

I enjoy them all. Seeing Superman on the screen makes me happy. Sentimental, I know, but it’s the truth. Hope the next movie is around the corner. If not, I got these to enjoy for the time being.

@DeSade-acolyte, you crack me up :joy:

2 Likes

Good thing you saw the error of your ways then, isn’t it? :wink:

1 Like

I want to add a caveat to my list. While Superman III definitely ranks near the bottom, I will always defend the Superman vs Clark Kent fight scene is one of the best in the franchise. It does a great job of illustrating Clark’s inner conflict, and it’s a fun and inventive sequence.

2 Likes

I think we got closer to that later on in JL.

1 Like

Eh, I guess. It would have been mostly a cop-out to make things a little easier. I like the Snyder movies, a lot. Without watching the Donner movie as a kid though, who knows if I’m even interested in watching the Snyder movies. That is what ultimately made up my mind.

Agreed. After the helicopter scene from the first movie, that part is probably my most “rewatched” out of the Christopher Reeve movies.

2 Likes

Favorite action sequence from each of the Reeve movies:

● Superman: The Movie: the helicopter rescue
● Superman II: the Battle of Metropolis
● Superman III: Clark vs Superman (or is it Superman vs Clark, hmm? :face_with_monocle:)
● Superman IV: Superman vs Nuclear Man (yeah, the effects work can be a bit wonky, but it was fun to see Superman duke it out with a villain in multiple locations throughout the duration of one scene)

Yes! The mustache CGI aside, the superman stuff was great. Hopefully the snyder cut version of him is great to.

1 Like
  1. Superman II Donner Cut
  2. Superman the Movie
  3. Justice League
  4. Superman IV (Not intentional but Nuclear Man is hilarious
  5. Man of Steel
  6. Superman 3
  7. Batman V Superman (It would be three but Superman is its weakness. Bats is much better in it)
  8. Superman Returns (Just sooooooooo Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrinnnnnnnnnnnnnnng and turns him into Super Dead Beat Dad Man).

My favorite Superman movie is Reign of the Supermen even if Lois is the protagonist.

1 Like

Man of Steel for me personally was a bad superman introduction story because it takes away the Kents importance into how he is a good person and he just doesn’t act like a person let alone superman. He doesn’t drive the villains away from Metropolis when he’s the thing they’re after or does he look to try anything besides killing Zod. The movie just doesn’t work for superman but I enjoy it when I don’t tie to the character

2 Likes

I totally get that. For me, I thought that stuff made sense because it wasn’t even Superman year one, it was Superman Day One. I was okay with him making mistakes because it was giving him room to grow into that guy we all know and love. I would also respectfully disagree with the Kent’s not teaching him to be a good person. Before he finds out who he is, he is saving people as this secret guardian angel. I also like the realistic take of Jon Kent being hesitant about him revealing himself too early. Thats just my take though.

6 Likes

See, I always saw it completely different. People usually whittle Pa Kent down to one line; “Maybe”. I DO get why people are uncomfortable with it, but I feel they ignore everything else he says to Clark throughout the film. Like how Clark’s very existence will make people challenge their own religious beliefs. Pretty important thing to teach your all powerful Son to consider how his actions effect others.
Actions too, like seeing his father sacrifice his life to save a dog and to protect the his son. Probably should have been a younger actor playing Clark in that scene, imo. People see big buff Cavill in that scene and think “just save him, Superman! WTF!?” But how much of his powers has the character explored at that age? He probably knows he’s fast, but so fast he can go undetected by the naked eye? Idk. Either way, it is Jonathan Kent that makes Clark a good person in my eyes, just in much less direct dialogue than Superman: the movie. I mean he DID choose to save those kids and he hadn’t really met Jor-El yet, aside from his brief time as an infant. Again, I understand why but feel alot gets ignored about the character too.

3 Likes

Yea I agree with you.