Rank It: Rebirth!! Action Comics and All-Star Batman

Both Action Comics by Dan Jurgens and All-Star Batman by Scott Snyder offered familiarity in what defined their respective characters while forging new ground. For Action Comics, the story of Superman protecting the world and its effects on his family was powerfully felt and two major storylines have each changed Superman forever. All-Star Batman on the other hand forged new ground with incredible stories with massive action, from a globe trotting trip to Batman in Miami, the series challenged Batman by forcing him out of Gotham.

As this is my first Rank it, here’s how it will go. I’ve finished reading an Iconic Run on Rebirth and will score and rank each volume in the run. I judge based on 4 things, out of 5:

C: Cohesiveness
E: Enjoyability
S: Story
I: Importance (Only 1 bonus point)

Lets Start with Action Comics.

#6 Action Comics: Men of Steel
Action Comics #967 - 972

C: 4
E: 3
S: 3
I: X

10/15

Men of Steel is fine, but the nerves of Superman and the situation between Luther and the Future felt unnecessary. Especially in retrospect when some of the stories it teases, have never come true. Luther is a fine Superman but superman becomes a bad one when forced to cooperate with Luthor.

#5 Action Comics: Booster Shot
Action Comics #993 - 999

C: 2
E: 4
S: 4
I: X

10/15

Booster, Booster, Booster. I love you with none of my heart, but the story wasn’t bad. It mostly failed to deliver on the end of The New World instead showing how Zod affects the future. For a story that had so much promise, Booster does everything he claims he doesn’t do. The sub plot with Lois and Jon is a little better and makes the enjoyability, but why does Jon keep going “GRANDDAD!!”

#4 Action Comics: Welcome to the Planet
Action Comics #963 - #966
(Includes a part of Justice League #52 in the trade)

C: 3
I:X

11/15

Welcome to the planet is fairly good, however this Clark Kent is SO CREEPY. Lois gets some good spotlight though and makes up for the books short comings. Overall, I appreciate this volume and it has some good highlights but KENT IS SOOOO CREEPY. I know its purposeful but really?

#3 Action Comics: Path of Doom
Action Comics #957 - 962
C: 5
12/15

Path of Doom is heartbreaking. Watching Superman fight knowing he will likely die just proves how powerful not only Oz is but also how much heart Superman has for his people. Watching Jon watch his father possibly die is so heartbreaking. That being said it’s a whole 6 issues of the same fight.

Superman: Oz Effect

E: 5
I: O
13/15

Superman: Oz Effect is fantastic look at humanity as a whole and really pushed Superman to the limit. The reveal of Oz STILL has effects today and is arguably the most important story of Action Comics. Jor-el is the perfect match for superman but there’s a little too much jumping around at times.

#1 Action Comics: The New World
Action Comics #977 - 984

E: 5
S: 5
I: O

14/15

The New World is incredible. The Superman Revenge Squad, Jon and Lois trapped, new Superman origin, and the humanizing of Zod all occur. It’s a bumber many of the characters aren’t explained well enough, or this series would be a 15/15. However, no complaints. I’m not going to spoil it BUT have fun!

#6 Men of Steel
#5 Booster Shot
#4 Welcome to the Planet
#3 Path of Doom
#2 Superman: Oz Effect
#1 The New World

All-Star Batman

#3 First Ally
All-Star Batman #10-14

C: 2
E: 2
S:3
This arc isn’t all bad just the story has multiple moments with confusing art. The take down of Nemesis consist of some weird panel that makes no sense and then Nemesis is down. The Alfred backstory might be used for the Pennyworth show but its not that good OR believable.

#2 Ends of the Earth
All-Star Batman #6-9
C: 4

This arc is fairly good placing Batman in bad situations. The individual issues are nicely wrapped up but the story falls apart a little bit in the climax. It feels more like an excuse to send Batman to the Ends of the Earth. OOOOHHHHHH! I get it now.

#1 My own worst enemy
C:4
E:5
S:5

This may be my favorite Batman Story of all time. A road trip that is all sorts of crazy for all sorts of Crazy. Definitely the best Two-Face Story ever! Anyway, I hope you like it. I’m not going to spoil it!

#3 First Ally
#2 Ends of the Earth
#1 My Own Worst Enemy

To put it simply, I liked Action more than All Star Batman in every way.