Ramadan Mubarak: Celebrating Islam in DC!

We here at DC want to take a special moment to give a shoutout to all of the Muslims in the multiverse! Did you know that popular characters like Simon Baz, Halo, and Khalid Nassour as Doctor Fate are honoring Ramadan right now?

To give a little backstory about what Ramadan is, Muslims celebrate the month that their Holy Book, The Quran, was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), by fasting for 30 days from :sunrise: sunrise → sunset. :city_sunset:

Muslims aim to use this holy month as a means to steel their souls and resolve, to reflect and contemplate on their time on this plane of existence, and understand the plight of the less fortunate. In its essence, Ramadan is all about worship, meditation, thankfulness, mindfulness, and more. Think of it as a way for Muslims to charge their spiritual lantern batteries until the next Ramadan! Sounds pretty awesome, don’t ya think?

This year for Ramadan, we’d love to hear about your traditions, heroic deeds, inner wisdoms, and anything else you’d like to share that powers your spiritual lantern battery, or some of your favorite Muslim characters and stories within the DC Universe.

And, if you’re celebrating Ramadan as well, we’d love to hear what you will be eating in the morning and at night (delicious recipes are welcome)!

From the DC Family to yours, Ramadan Mubarak, and may peace and blessings be upon you all!

15 Likes

Ramadan Mubarak. Thank you for very eloquently describing what the month is about :slightly_smiling_face:.

Hmmm… before sunrise, we’re looking at a light meal. Usually involves yogurt & lots of water. At sundown? Wherever the cravings take us… last night it was fried chicken, pizza the night before that, pasta the night before. It’s the middle eastern deserts that really shine (and keep from losing weight) during Ramadan though, in all their doughy creamy cheesy warm goodness. Some examples:

Shouldn’t have done that while fasting. Way too early to be doing that :joy:

Regarding Muslim characters in DC, I knew about Simon & Khalid, but haven’t really read enough stories that feature either character to really connect with ‘em. Hopefully in the future.

Thanks again, kind folks.

11 Likes

Quick correction — Gabrielle Dau, the human host of Halo, was Muslim before she died, but Halo herself is not. The hijab she wears is part of her identity but she doesn’t practice the faith. This is discussed in YJ season 3.

5 Likes

On a more positive note, Khalid Nassour and Simon Baz both rule. Khalid is currently part of the cast of Justice League Dark, a backup feature to the main Justice League comic, and Simon Baz is playing a major role in the new Green Lantern comic series.

8 Likes

For a great series which reckons with how to keep the Muslim faith in a world of many gods like the DCU, I highly recommend the 2015 Doctor Fate comic, starring Khalid.

5 Likes

Ramadan Mubarak, friend! Lol yes the kanafeh is making me hungry as well :sweat_smile:. I totally forgot I would be looking at all of these food pics while fasting :joy:

Oh wow, thank you for that distinction! That is very interesting… :thinking:

I’ll definitely check this out, thanks for the suggestion!

5 Likes

Okay, now I’m hungry. Please tell us what these tempting treats are called so we can order them or find a recipe!

6 Likes

Ok, the first one is called “kunafa” or “kanafeh” as @LastSon0fMars spelled it (different Arabic dialects = different spellings). The second one is called “atayef” or maybe “qatayef”.

Here’s links to recipes of both pictures I posted.

http://www.maggwire.com/kunafa-recipe/

6 Likes

Tried grocery shopping while fasting? Not easy on the wallet!

4 Likes

Omg I have to physically stop myself from trying to pick up everything when I’m fasting lol… like nooo eating everything isn’t the point, LS0M!

5 Likes

Here’s an article I wrote for Ramadan last year, profiling 10 great Muslim heroes… (and I saved the best one for last)

https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/news/10-muslim-dc-heroes-commemorate-ramadan/

7 Likes

Thank you so much!

5 Likes

I didn’t know you were the one who wrote that! That was my go to source of information, so thanks :slight_smile: It’s an honor meeting the person who wrote that haha and thank you for keeping up the representation for this beautiful Holiday and Religion.

6 Likes

Happy Ramadan

6 Likes

I read a few comics with Simon but none with the other two mentioned. Although from past readings I have generally liked it when a Superhero had religious motivations like Specter, Azrael, and Supergirl Linda Danvers.

2 Likes

bw57

3 Likes

I’m so glad this thread exists

2 Likes

Tell me about it @THE_OneAndOnly_Official_Batman :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Eid Mubarak to everyone! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Happy Eid. For those that have been fasting, don’t overstuff yourselves :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes