Ram V & Rafael Albuquerque To Take Over Detective Comics In July

I technically do marketing for DC, but it is unpaid. :wink: If you want to write reviews or produce a podcast by yourself, I could maybe hook you up with extra work for a hobby and no money. :wink:

Did you like the Rebirth Suicide Squad while Lee was drawing? :slight_smile: I personally wish that Lee would only do covers for the rest of his career, unless he does an OGN where all the art has to be done in advance, because the schedules for books he’s on are just…very delayed.

Batwoman and Tim Drake are both definitely draws for me as well! Though both depend on the creative teams - I really didn’t like Kate’s last solo, and the current stuff with Tim I really don’t think is very well written, despite me liking the writer as a fan (I listened to her podcast a decade ago).

But why not just give me the eggs? I’d enjoy them!

Definitely check out Ram V’s Catwoman! (And also Genevieve Valentine’s Catwoman, while I’m recommending things!)

Glasses wearing fistbump! Though I’ve only been wearing them for the last 25 years.

2 Likes

I have about three things that immediately get me buying:

1. Nightwing
  2. Captain Marvel (I will not call him Shazam! no)
  3. The JSA
1 Like

Well, to once again reference Bart Simpson, “I’m listening.”

To further the Simpsons references, let’s quote Mr. Burns:

“Well, duh!” :wink:

I loved Rebirth Suicide Squad. It was routinely one of my top 5 favorites during the first year or so of Rebirth.

Well, you can’t rush art, after all. And Great Rao, that man makes ART.

Because…I…enjoy throwing eggs…and I haven’t done so since I was 17, so…lemme throw 'em, please. I’ll give you a freshly Xeroxed $1 Monopoly bill if you do.

I’ve read portions of it and it is good. I’ll probably pick back up with it, now that Catwoman is off my “To buy at retail” pull list, once more.

Read it as it came out. It was…okay, but there are issues where it really was a “Buying it out of obligation.” book, despite the fact that I often preach against said buying habit.

I have a soft spot for cats…especially Selina Kyle-themed cats, so I’ll occasionally go against my own words. I don’t care though, because its for Selina. :heart_eyes_cat:

Four-eyed fanboys unite!
:fist_right:t2: :fist_left:t2:

I’ve been a DC fan for 33 years, so…got ya beat on that, too. :wink:

1 Like

You very much do have me beat - I only started really reading comics in 2005. Nice to have some elders sometimes - most of the online friends I have only started with the n52, Rebirth, or Infinite Frontier.

I’ll take that copied Monopoly money now, plz!

Interesting - what about Valentine Catwoman was a bit of a chore for you? I found it very intense and emotional reading, but I’m not a regular Catwoman reader. I do agree with your “do as I say not as I do” policy of buying only what you love, though!

1 Like

“There’s always an older fan”

Master Qui Gon

2 Likes

Dude, while that term is technically accurate, I’m not an elder.

I’m more like…the cool professor who lets the kids read comics when the principal isn’t taking notes in the back of the classroom.

And watching crummy “educational” movies? Forget that. We’re watching good movies in class today, kids.

hopes the kids enjoy Lawrence of Arabia

slides over the copied cheddar

More where that came from…i.e. the one Kinko’s that is actually still in business (but only in my mind).

I haven’t read it since it came out, so its not 100% fresh ATM, but if memory serves…it was lacking in interest in most of the major areas: writing, artwork, etc.

I really liked the idea of Selina as a crime boss, but the execution just left a lot to be desired.

By no means was Valentine’s run bad, it was just…there.

Master, could we have Jar-Jar for lunch?

“Over for lunch, you mean?”

Yeah…sure.

gently nudges boxes of tartar sauce, along with things used for grilling aquatic-based food, under the table

1 Like

Interesting! I could certainly see the art not being to everyone’s tastes - I like both Garry Brown and David Messina, but I think there’s a reason neither of them have exactly blown up. The writing, though, really felt deeply emotional and impressed me quite a bit. Plus, it had as certain SOMEONE (SPOILER ALERT). :wink:

1 Like

I haven’t the foggiest who you’re spoiler alert could portend to.

Nope, nuh-uh, no-how.

Anyway, I’ll look into a re-read of GV’s Catwoman, along with checking out more of Ram V’s run, which I did enjoy quite a bit (all two issues I bought when Infinite Frontier began).

1 Like

Definitely check out his Future State two-issue miniseries, too!

1 Like

I read Future State: Catwoman and really enjoyed it. Definitely one of my favorite FS titles, if not my fav of the Batman-related FS stuff I’ve read so far (reading Dark Detective currently, on account of the action figure that came out last month).

1 Like

Just skimmed through this. Thanks for the entertaining read @Vroom and @millernumber1 :slightly_smiling_face:.

I’m with the “not sold” folks, but I will be buying it nontheless. I haven’t missed an issue of Detective Comics since Rebirth started and I don’t plan to start now. Before that my Batman diet consisted only of the Batman book.

The only thing I read by Ram V was the JL Dark backup in Justice League. It was a fun read, though I feel like I would have enjoyed it more had I read his JL Dark run. Similarly, looking ip Albuquerque tells me that I’ve only crossed paths with his art a few times in my readings, but not enough to instantly recognize his name. So, from a creative team perspective, it’s a question mark for me.

The premise? To be honest, I have no idea what “Gothic Opera” means. I see the word “Gothic” and I think gargoyles and dark buildings, which I associate with Gotham anyway. “Opera” is enough to almost lose me completely :joy:. I love music though, and the words “Strange melody that’s haunting Gotham” really caught my interest. Makes it sound like a very moody Batman story.

So yeah, the pitch didn’t excite me, but you hardly have to sell me on either of the two main Batman books. If I made it through the overstuffed slog that was Joker War and Fear State, I can manage a new team on Detective :slightly_smiling_face:.

SN: My favorite thing in the whole description? Ivan Reis is doing a couple issues. Yay! I wonder what his next long term DC project is? Speaking of creators that I will follow no matter what, he’s one of few.

2 Likes

@moro No problemo. Thank @millernumber1, as he started it. :wink:

That strange melody jazz…it’d be interesting if a modern update of The Siren (Joan Collins’ character from the Batman TV series) was behind it, as she was able to use her voice to overcome others.

2 Likes

Dropped both Bat-Books after the slog that was Fear State. I am done with the existential threats to Gotham City. I want street-level Batman attacking crime from the shadows. As opposed to mega-level Batman “attacking our pockets” with endless decompressed storylines, tie-ins, and variants covers.
I am hoping for something “different” from Zdarsky and now Ram V.

2 Likes

While I really liked Fear State, I love your description of “Batman should attack crime in the streets, not our pockets” :wink:

1 Like

So long as I keep buying Batman toys and other wares pertaining to him, Batman will be assaulting my wallet for decades to come.

I would like to see Batman return to more street-level stories as well.

After all, “Gotham loses its mind and goes to Hell!” has been done enough lately, both on-page and on-screen (and it was the weakest element of season 3 of Titans).

Let’s see Batman bust some car thieves upside the head!

That’ll get us our single issue, one and done fix, toot sweet.

4 Likes

Seriously, the day I’m safe from Batman assaulting the wallet is the day I’m in my grave. :rofl:

1 Like

:laughing: Too true, too true.

Oh…

From Ram V…

That is very nice.

Described as operatic in scope with a horror twinge, V and Albuquerque’s upcoming saga is dubbed “Gotham Nocturne” and features a deadly invasion of demons who attack Gotham from the shadows, spurred on by a mysterious melody. “For me, the draw of Batman as a character and that of the world around him had always been this blanket of tragedy that lay above it all,” V said when news of his tenure on the title was first announced. “So, with that perspective, ‘Gotham Nocturne’ is a quintessentially Batman story, told with the aesthetics of a gothic opera.”

I knew that I was going to like this run.

The last time that I somewhat regularly read DETECTIVE COMICS was when Greg Rucka was writing it – like DETECTIVE COMICS #745 or thereabouts.

Twenty years and about three hundred issues later and I’m back. :smiling_face:

EDIT:

Just say "gothic opera” and you got me… :smiling_face:

1 Like

They just changed the logo 61 issues ago, though… :frowning:

2 Likes

@millernumber1

But it’s "gothic opera”!

That demands a change in the logo. :smiling_face: