Questions About The Extent of Elastic Girl's Powers

Why is Rita (Elastigirl) a blob? Last I remember she grew and shrank as her powers. Then later on she was able to stretch but she was never a blob, so why?

2 Likes

Granted, I’ve only read the Doom Patrol run from the 1960s.
But from what I’ve gathered by reading some other people’s commentary is that this version of Rita is apparently inspired by one of the later runs. In this one, she is unable to control her powers fully or something of the sort.

But I would love to see her grow to huge proportion and/or shrink down to miniature size at some point in the show. Maybe they will do so further into the season.

2 Likes

It seems like none of the characters can control their powers yet, we’re still only getting to episode 2 after all. Rita loses control and gets all blobby, Cliff had to learn how to move the robot body and is still figuring stuff out, Larry has no control over the negative spirit, and Jane can’t seem to choose which personality comes out. I’m guessing they’re going to get slightly better at this as the season goes on.

3 Likes

I believe they went with this because if she had full control, she wouldn’t be much of a freak.

2 Likes

Would be my guess @ComoChingadosNo I don;'t read much Doom Patrol but I when I did I thought it was weird a beautiful formerly famous girl was ostracized as a “freak outcast” because she could change size (and could easily never do it if she didn’t want to). I mean yeah, maybe in the real world but in a world full of Superheroes like the DC Universe that never made sense. I assumed that was why when they revived it in the late 80’s with more emphasis on them being a “gang of freaks and outcast” they didn’t have her on the team.

I didn’t know it apparently was in the comics, but even if so I am sure that is the reason they adapted that. Her blob thing she has going in the TV show makes her fit in better with the team of freaks concept.

3 Likes

Doesn’t Ria Farr in the new Doom Patrol online show have the ability to grow? Isn’t she Elastic Girl?

1 Like

It hasn’t happened yet. So far she’s been able to turn her body into a blob and at one point she stretched her arm. If she does grow, I’m willing to bet it’s being saved for the season finale or maybe next season. Guess you gotta wait and see.

1 Like

Patience!

She’s figuring things out, I’m waiting for the time they embrace the name Doom Patrol

Yeah, she still hasn’t learned how to do those things, yet.

In a way, it’s good for the story.
When Cliff got stuck in the swamp last episode, she would’ve just grown tall and lift him out.
But then, he would’ve missed seeing Frances.

1 Like

Technically, she kind of did size changing when she became a ginormous blob and destroyed half of Cloverton in the first episode, although I’d be willing to settle for her doing more elasticity stuff a la Plastic Man. That would be super cool, to go along with the size changing.

No hurry here. This first season is one massive origin story. Love it! :slight_smile: