Question for DC comics official comic writers, artists and editors:

Differing within similar Storyline Omniverse structures of Marvel Comics Omniverse, DC comics Omniverse, Doctor Who Omniverse, and Ben 10 Omniverse. Seems to me needs some strong consideration for more interconnected/intertwined consensus to each others individual Storyline Omniverse structures. So DC comics writers, Artists, and Editors how do they interconnect and intertwine with each other.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m a columnist for the DC website, and my answer here is you’re probably overthinking it. Could this be the way the omniverse is structured? Sure. But there’s probably a lot of other ways it can work as well. The point of a fictional multiverse is to accommodate an infinite number of stories; not to show you what the shape of reality is. If you’re searching for that truth, you’re probably not going to find it in a comic book.

3 Likes

I was simply pointing out that there might be work needed to be done to explain in lore format the structural differences and structural similarities between the Marvel comics Omniverse, DC comics Omniverse, Doctor Who Omniverse, and Ben 10 Omniverse. And how they might related and connect with each other structures even with the structural differences within the structural similarities. Similarly how the purposes of a Omniverse concept was to explain the various small project duel/double intercompany crossovers with in the involved franchises fandoms main stream timelines and main Else worlds/What If Earths-realities-universes-timelines even multiverses. Maybe worth consideration for topic of a major project multi-intercompany crossover (x-over).

2 Likes

Trying to point out similar situation as what was the situation that created the reasoning for the formation of the DC comics original Crisis on Infinite Earths. In as described in a letter for the head editor of the time before the original Crisis on Infinite Earths which DC comics Earth matters. But now it is a issue for the Entertainment industry no matter the franchise/fandom and companies that own whichever specific franchise/fandom which specific individual franchise/fandom matters within fictional overall existence.

2 Likes

To create the kind of parity you’re looking for, you’d need some kind of collective agreement between every large fictional setting managed by a vast multitude of corporate entities on how they want their fictional worlds represented. But that sort of consensus doesn’t happen unless all of these projects you’re looking at are governed by the same entity. Unless we find ourselves in a total monopoly of corporate ownership of stories, every individual entity is going to want to maintain their own say in how their own universes work.

3 Likes

Which is part of the reason why I don’t think that the Unions and the ant-Trust(Anti-Monopoly) governmental legislation/regulation related Governmental agencies grasp that historically within Entertainment Industry the various Entertainment Industry actually set presidence of temptation for the various individual companies to actually try to form a Entertainment monopoly in order to acquire content ownership rights to all of the various different franchises and fandoms owned by the various different Entertainment companies. With all of the Intercompany crossovers that had occurred, presently still occurs, and could still yet occur down the road.

2 Likes

I don’t think the occasional crossover necessarily requires a rewriting of all fictional universes involved to accommodate the mutual canonicity of the event. Think of them better as “exhibition matches.”

3 Likes

This is a discussion we’ve had before. The logistical and legal hoops they’d have to jump through to make what you want happen isn’t realistic. It’s not going to happen. Also the topic of the post seems to indicate writers, artists, editors are on these boards and taking unsolicited ideas/pitches. They’re not.

And once again…please don’t copy and paste pages worth of information in the body of a post. The “advertisement” breaks were a dead giveaway. Don’t say with thirty words what four will do.

2 Likes

I view them more of the Transitional forms and transitional fossils of the Entertainment Industry fossil record and phylogenetic tree and/or trees(forest and jungle) of the overall entertainment industry. Due to their
Transitional features (that often are viewed as copy cats and/or very nearly copy cats) of similar storyline concepts (Marvel comics Spider-verse multiverse structure, DC comics Flash-verse multiverse structure, Doctor Who’s possible The Whoniverse multiverse structure) and similar storyline characters, and even overall storylines (such as DC comics multiple multiverse Crisis and Marvel comics multiple multiverse Secret Wars and Doctor Who’s Time Wars). And if it were just DC comics and Marvel comics individually with each other I would agree with you in it being nothing more than “exhibition matches,” but when it is DC comics crossing with other franchises/fandoms in addition to its crossing with Marvel comics stretched over the passage of time. And Marvel comics crossing with other franchises/fandoms in addition to its crossing with DC comics stretched over the passage of time. And Doctor Who crossing with other franchises/fandoms in addition to its crossing with Marvel Comics stretched over the passage of time it seems that there is a bit more pattern to it than mere occasional crossovers. Especially with how such crossovers actually overall effected each of the specific individual franchises/fandoms involved in the individual crossovers long afterwards each individual crossover. It is in fact another matter entirely instead.

2 Likes

But these crossovers are based on temporary licensing agreements. Most of the crossovers aren’t canon or are eventually retconned.

It’s a fun idea but they’re not going to directly acknowledge each other nor are they going to put other universes into their multiverse directly if they don’t have the rights. You may get pastiches as fun nods but that’s about it.

3 Likes

But that seems a little to much of a disrespect of how such crossovers most likely had a hand in the overall effected each of the specific individual franchises/fandoms involved in the individual crossovers long afterwards each individual crossover. Transitional features (that often are viewed as copy cats and/or very nearly copy cats) of similar storyline concepts (Marvel comics Spider-verse multiverse structure, DC comics Flash-verse multiverse structure, Doctor Who’s possible The Whoniverse multiverse structure) and similar storyline characters(such as for Marvel comics Squadron Supreme which is is a team of superheroes created by Marvel Comics as pastiches of DC Comics’ Justice League of America since * Hyperion (Superman):

• Nighthawk (Batman):
  • Power Princess (Wonder Woman):
  • Doctor Spectrum (Green Lantern):
  • The Whizzer (The Flash):
  • The Blur (Aquaman))

(but I guess I was mistaken on Squadron Supreme being the result of the Marvel comics and DC comics crossover since the Squadron Supreme was interoduced into Marvel comics as analogues to the Justice League created to interact with The Avengers before even the first Marvel comics and DC comics crossover) , and even overall storylines (such as DC comics multiple multiverse Crisis and Marvel comics multiple multiverse Secret Wars and Doctor Who’s Time Wars). Before the first Marvel comics and DC comics crossover the two franchises and fandoms were viewed as so much polar opposite different (There are some geographical differences here and there. DC uses fictional cities instead of “real” ones in the U.S. so you have Metropolis, Gotham, Coast City, Keystone City and others. Marvel has a couple of them, but usually for cities it uses actual locations. Madripoor might be an exception. It’s basically Marvel’s version of Singapore as it is basically a “city-state”. Marvel seems to focus on fictional countries. So they have Wakanda in Africa, the Savage Land in Antarctica & the island of Genosha (to name a few).

Essentially they’re both based on Earth and most changes are going to largely be superficial) however gradually well after wards and each following crossover between Marvel comics and DC comics each more and more gradually further influenced each other in similarities. For example more recent DC comics even gradually introduced incorporation real life New York City, Chicago City, Los Angeles City, London City and others. In addition to its traditionaly fictional cities (which now maybe depending on the earths shouldn’t neccessarily be any longer be considered as the fictional counter parts of the real life cities that Marvel comics traditionally uses.

2 Likes

Which the DC comics various different individual multiverse crisis and Marvel comics multiverse Secret Wars multiverse war reboots could be explanation of the gradual introduced incorporation of increasing similarity.

2 Likes

You clearly have a head canon and there’s nothing wrong with that, but what you’re asking for isn’t realistic. At the end of the day this is supposed to be fun storytelling, no more, no less. A lot of the crossovers we got between companies were through agreements that benefited both parties. The pastiches are just fun ways of winking and nodding about the other company.

And just because a property crossed over with someone years ago doesn’t mean it still holds true in the current landscape.

I know you want everything to be connected and are interested in gradual aging, but that’s just you. The industry isn’t going to adopt these ideas because they can’t and they have other stories to tell. I’ve suggested it before but you might want to try your hand at fan fiction or creating something original where you can explore these ideas. You’ve certainly done the research, so I think you taking the reins of your passions would be beneficial for you both intellectually and creatively.

2 Likes