Question before reading Detective Comics 1000

I’m interested in checking out Detective Comics #1000, but one thing first - since I don’t usually read Detective Comics, is there anything I have to know about the story before going in? Or since it is a special issue, is it just a standalone story I can dive right into?

It’s mostly stand alone. The writer from before this issue, Peter J. Tomasi, wrote one story, but it’s less than ten pages and doesn’t tie into the previous issues (although they’re great, and I’d really suggest you read 'em).

1 Like

It’s a collection of standalone stories. The last one is the start of Tomasi’s Arkham Knight storyline, but the rest are self-contained.

1 Like

I wondered the same thing before purchasing it. I enjoyed the format of separate stories for this landmark issue. It made it easy to enjoy while being out of the loop on the current story line.

Two of the stories are follow ups to old stories. O’Neil’s is a follow up to Detective Comics #457 (and I wholeheartedly recommend reading it before) and Christopher Priest’s story references his story in Batman #431. Both should be available on DC Universe for free so I recommend you read them, as they are, it think, only 12 pages each.

1 Like