Question About the Title of Superman 2

I alway wonder about the title,

Is it
Superman 2
Or
Superman 2 the adventure continues

It’s Superman II. “The Adventure Continues” is a poster tagline.

2 Likes

The actual subtitle is The Richard Donner Cut. If your copy is missing that, then you must have the wrong Superman II. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think it was @Vroom who wrote once about the unsung value of the Lester cut. I’ve come to realize both versions of the movie have their advantages.

1 Like

Yeah, the Lester Cut has the advantage of Michael Thau not screwing up the ending. :wink:

But I can tell you that the theatrical cut of Superman II had caused me to dismiss all of the original Reeve films for years until I finally checked out the 2001 Special Edition of the first film and found myself reminded that I actually really liked that one.

1 Like

Since its initial release in 2006, I have enjoyed and admired the Donner Cut of Superman II. But if push comes to shove, and I can only watch one, it’s going to be the theatrical Lester version. I know this may be heresy to some (Just like my claim that Superman Returns is a damn good movie). but the Donner Cut plays more like an episode of Lois and Clark than a motion picture. Now before some you try hunting me down, I am one of the world’s greatest fans of Lois and Clark (Teri Hatcher being the best Lois Lane ever), but Donner’s version just seems to better fit the small screen. Does any of this make sense? Ultimately it’s nit-picking as both versions of Superman II–and the wonderfully charming, and funny Lois and Clark–are all pure Superman gold.