Question About Matt (Swamp Thing)

Matt is black, right? How is Avery his father?

1 Like

Genetics. Genetic traits can skip generations.

2 Likes

I just binged the series with friends and everyone was wondering that as well. They all had questions like “Is no one supposed to bat an eye at this?” You expect that when watching Maury, but not a DC series like Swamp Thing.

Seems like DC assumed everyone watching already knew that Jennifer Beals is biracial in real life so it wasnt explained in the show at all. Which made the plot twist was a HUGE distraction. I had to pause the show and google it. Absolutely no one I watched this with already knew that before that episode.

It all made sense after the google and we were able to continue the show.

1 Like

I had no idea she was biracial. That makes a lot sense that. It didn’t distract me too much, I just went with the flow of the show.

2 Likes

Does it really need to be explained about the ethnicity of the actor/character? I mean I know they explained it on shows like black-ish and #blackAF but that’s because it’s relevant to the plot. Having a throwaway line to explain she’s bi-racial when it’s not necessary seems forced.

2 Likes

They didn’t and don’t have to. Lol.

I’m African American, my son’s biracial, and his dad is Caucasian. Whenever he goes to his dad, he’s out and about with his dad and his dad’s Caucasian girlfriend. She’s really cool. Anyway, not a single person has ever just assumed that both of those Caucasian individuals were his biological parents. Lol. They either assume he’s adopted or the Caucasian women is his mom and he has a black dad somewhere out there.

So when I and all of my friends saw that in the show-it threw us for a loop. Lol. I do have a very diverse mixed race group of friends and we don’t mind talking about race so maybe it’s just us.

3 Likes

I definitely was a little bit confused at first, however I understood that genetic traits are unpredictable and guessed that Jennifer Beals might be a person of mixed racial background. It made me wonder, but like real life the answer isn’t always obvious or important.

1 Like