Public Service Announcement: Please Respect Our Community & Topic Guidelines - Stay On Topic

I’ll try to be supportive but I do want to note as I have at other times, we don’t all think in straight lines like that, we aren’t all introverts that only speak after we’ve deeply prepared what we’re going to say out loud. This is only half the human race in my opinion.

Since we’re mainly speaking in unnatural snippets here instead of a normal conversation, of course one or two posts where somebody talks about a situation that is related but not directly speaking to the topic could occur and then everything is back to being laser-focused the way Kelex prefers.

In a nutshell, for communicating outwardly with others, introverts like to prepare what they’re going to say and to be super precise and stay on topic. Extroverts speak whatever is in the top of their head naturally and eventually get to what they really feel, that’s who they are to their core. To require that all participants and paying customers here restrict themselves to act like introverts with everything prepared like a public speech every time they desire and are moved to share here is way over-the-top IMO, and makes me feel like I’m back in school again.

If you want to have fun go to the Iceberg Lounge; otherwise sit up straight and behave …great

8 Likes

@Don-El - you make some good points. Having spent time on the other side of the fence several times in the past (and no offense if you have, too), it’s worth understanding that moderating any sizable community on the internet is like walking around in a forest fire in a gas-soaked suit.

No matter what you do is always going to have some segment of the memberbase upset/criticising/rebelling. If you over moderate you’re too heavy-handed, if you under-moderate you are letting the trolls take over. I think the mods, by and large, here do a pretty good job. I try and remember when I see things like this that it’s not me as one lonely member they need to be concerned about, it’s the overall group of people. If they just let every thread go crazy, then the OP will be less likely to want to participate because any thread s/he create can go sideways.

What can be done when someone goes off topic? If you move their comment, where do you move it to? To another more relevant thread? Yes, you can do that. This risks turning off users who are active because they feel “punished” for simply trying to take part in a conversation. Some (many?) won’t understand why their comment was moved. What did I do wrong?

The mods here created this PSA to gently remind all of us to stay on track. I’m thinking that’s about the most hands-off approach they can have. They give those who want to be more freeform an option: go to the Iceberg Lounge, they ask the rest of us who want to post everywhere else to stay on topic. If we don’t? Then what? It’s a gentle warning that the mods may/will/can take action.

4 Likes

Is 80 years still too soon? Jokes aside thanks for this reminder. I’ve opened a lot of topics and found the conversation so off topic that it’s discouraged me from posting. Hopefully this reminder will help clear some stuff up.

6 Likes

Ok I read it now where is my “fair play” badge? Lol​:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@Extra-V I do not think they are restricting us as much as you may think. They still want us to have fun and post our thoughts on everything DC. I also consider myself as an introvert, but I often don’t plan out everything I am about to say. I will often post the first thing that pops into my mind but also making sure it fits under the topic I am posting. This community has helped me grow and feel more comfortable posting my thoughts where I don’t feel judged. I do not like being labeled in a specific box because no one person fits the narrow definitions for types of people. And that’s what makes this community so great is the differences of everyone. I personally am waiting for more clarification as I as not sure what constitutes off topic and will continue as I am until I am told otherwise.

3 Likes

@Todd_Russell I agree that the moderators are just trying to make this community as easy as it can be for people to be a part of. I just want to understand what constitutes off topic as I post some things that I try to stay related to DC but not sure if they would’ve considered off. I don’t believe they will be malicious about it but will warn you, as I have seen so much positive feedback here and support from everyone.
As for moving topics, as long as I am asked first and told the reason why, I may be more accepting of it. I remember one time posting about the show iZombie and it was moved out of the TVsection as not DC. I had to explain it is based on a Vertigo comic which was part of DC at the time. Before moving we should be provided a reason so we can respond.

3 Likes

I appreciate this @Applejack ! As @Broken-Knight said, ill go to a post for the topic and some can get so off-topic that I won’t participate. Iceberg lounge is great for all the non-dc questions that I don’t want in the watchtower. It’s a great place to discuss favorite movies of all time, whereas the watchtower is where we get the DC specific content we literally pay for.

Though I’m generally curious, do you get a notification if your reply was taken down by a moderator? (Me, afraid I’ve broken the rules and don’t even know it)

2 Likes

I just want to point out that being an extrovert doesn’t necessarily mean you’re impulsive and being an introvert doesn’t mean you aren’t impulsive. Extrovert/introvert is simply, how you’re energized. Do you function better with people around, in the social setting? Or are you at your optimal level alone?

I think your point is valid that people will impulsively post the first thought they have, maybe trying to be the first to say the joke, I know I have. Social media is well known for prompting people to type not think. It’s not often our first instinct is to wait to type when there’s nothing stopping us from getting the immediate gratification of sharing our opinion. Nonetheless, I think the community can only be improved by waiting a beat before posting to make sure it’s a constructive, on topic reply. No one wants their comment to be taken down because they said something impulsive.

We’re all passionate about the topics, that’s why we participate in this community, so let’s make it the best it can be. All we need to do is try, we’re only human (until proven otherwise…)

1 Like

I am a bit more scared to post stuff now.

3 Likes

Be not afraid. I have lots of threads in the Lounge waiting for you.

As for the topic about topics… if it starts to wander, gently steer it back.

2 Likes

Staying on topic isn’t that challenging really, when you think about it. What is the threads primary purpose? The title will often tell you this. For example, if you are in the comic book thread posting under a created topic called “Batman: The Long Halloween” your post probably should be related to something related to that title. It would be acceptable to discuss the writer or artists other works, as long as you are still talking about how they relate to Long Halloween. What occurs sometimes is other people then start talking about the other book that was mentioned. So suddenly the thread is more about Green Lantern. The title still says “Batman: The Long Halloween” though and new and even old members get excited to discuss the topic and discover it isn’t even what is being discussed. It can be disheartening for many.

I dont think this is an introvert vs. extrovert thing. This is asking for just some boundaries to live within. If you find yourself wanting to talk about the Green Lantern that so and so artist created that originated from the Long Halloween discussion, the beauty of theee forums is you can create a new topic about it stating “We were discussing x on the x topic, but I want it to stay on topic and I wanna discuss this x thing publically.” You obviously use your own language and wording but you get the idea. The idea is not to stop free flowing ideas.

@MissGsptlsnz, I know usually if they are moving a discussion or lots of posts they kinda make it known to the people. Recently, on one of my posts it veered off about a member that otherwise is gone now, they let it set for a few days (which I appreciated based on the comments we had shared) but then they moved it all into private chat so if we decided to continue it we could. They very much let us know that they were going to do this though the day of.

@Behemoth, please don’t be scared to post stuff! I know you can go on silly rants, but you are an active and important part of this community. I’m sure if your posts get too off topic they will wrangle you in and let you know directly that you need to stay more on topic, but please don’t be scared. You are someone that makes this community feel like a beautiful dysfunctional (appropriately so) family. Don’t worry too much.

5 Likes

@MisfitCMJ is so right. As the creator of a post, sometimes we have to gently steer the conversation back. Also sometimes you just have to be blunt and say “Welp, this conversation veered way off track, let’s refocus on the main topic. The topic is x!” I can tell you every single person that I have interacted with here is pretty levelheaded and understanding. They will understand and often jab a little in play and fun, but will respect other community members. We truly are like a big loveable family here and some days we do get grump with each other, but overall we all have each other’s backs.

3 Likes

Oh I’m not scared of posting. I love the mods, they’re awesome. It’s just that I don’t want to make a mistake and potentially get banned.

5 Likes

They will give you ample warning before they outright ban you. Warnings will happen and probably then a suspension of your account then and only then I would imagine an outright banning. That seems to be the way it was handled with other members, but that was through them self reporting about it and complaining. As I have never went through it myself, I can’t say 100% but I can’t see @Applejack or any mod just screaming from one infraction “Off with their heads” or something equally dramatic unless of course there were threats against someone.

4 Likes

Correct me if I’m misunderstanding this post, but I’m fairly certain all Applejack is asking us to do is recognize if a thread is shifting off-topic for an extended but unrelated discussion, and split off a new topic for the new subject. And really, only one person needs to actually do that for it to happen, so even if this is somehow a great burden on extroverts, any introverts in the conversation can create a new topic for you.

Furthermore, this seems to be primarily in response to topics that were dominated by unpleasant or contentious subjects. Keeping those subjects contained to dedicated topics is also eminently reasonable.

8 Likes

Thanks for taking the time and reminding us. I just got done reading the community guidelines. Even went back and read it thrice just to make sure. Sometimes one just needs that reminder.

I am very grateful to the Mods for taking the time out of their day to make sure that the community is kept fair and respectful for everyone who enters. This has even got me guessing about the nature of some of my posts, not that any of those posts were terrible terrible, but its certainly gotten me to think a little bit more about what I post, how much I post, and who I post to. Its also got me concerned about my art posts a little bit, so I’ve limited that as much as I can and for most people have seemed very tolerant and respectful about my multiple posts, so I am grateful for that as well.

I am truly sorry, if you guys have seen a post of mine on here that seemed a little off topic or didn’t quite jive right. I can be very passionate about DC sometimes that I forget, but you are right, the rules must be followed- not only for my safety but other people’s well being as well. Now that I have read the rules, I promise to keep them in mind and heart for the present and the future always, and ever only reply to a thread that I have enough knowledge or experience on to contribute to.

3 Likes

@Behemoth To additionally clarify, like @PrincessAmethyst said so beautifully, there’s definitely a process to going so far as to ban someone. A ton of thought and consideration goes into each action we take, and something like a ban is a huge decision. There would definitely need to be a pattern of behavior before it came to something like that, so please don’t be scared to post! If you get a reminder to stay on topic (or any other reminder), don’t panic, just be mindful. Overall, we’re just here to help. :relaxed:

6 Likes

Thanks, BBB. Also, nice profile pic. :+1:

4 Likes

I like biscuits.

5 Likes

I have the attention span of a fruit fly. Doing my best to stay on…ummm…was this a Leap Year?

3 Likes