Psychology Of Supervillains Club - Aug 2021 - Brainiac (Geoff Johns - Superman: Brainiac)

Welcome to The Psychology Of Supervillains Club. This month (Aug 2021) Supervillain - Brainiac (Geoff Johns - Superman: Brainiac)

WARNING :
This club will be discussing darker aspects and elements within the DC Universe. These aspects and elements could be viewed as overtly violent, malevolent and possibly offensive to some.

• We acknowledge that we are not mental health professionals, and are not able to provide any diagnosis or guidance in this regard.
  • This thread does not suggest or support any mental health diagnosis or any guidance of or for people in the real world. We are dealing with purely fictional characters within fictional worlds.
  • Supervillains are potentially driven by deep seated and often dark or disturbing concepts of what they feel is the right thing to do and why the villain is the hero of their own story.
  • We will explore if the supervillain is actually correct in their views and actions, are they justified in what they do and potentially would their fictional worlds be better off if they actually did win and defeat the hero.

The club gives this warning because some may find such discussions disturbing, distasteful, and/or possibly immoral and we want the community to be well aware of what the contents of these discussions can involve.

The Ground Rules: ( Yes…even villainy has to follow a few rules . Don’t take my word for it…Go ask The Legion Of Doom or The Crime Syndicate, they have rules too.)

• Posts must follow DC Universe Community Guidelines
  • This is a “ safe space ” to explore a sometimes taboo topic…villainy. Why it’s necessary and possibly why villains are often more interesting than the heroes that oppose them.
  • Be respectful of the opinions of others. Did I mention that … Posts must follow DC Universe Community Guidelines
  • There is no such thing as a “right” or “wrong” opinion here.
  • The views expressed are the opinions of the poster and deserve to be acknowledged as a valid opinion, even if you might disagree and debate items. What does that mean? Posts must follow DC Universe Community Guidelines
  • We are dealing with the intricacies of the mind. The one thing we do know is that we can never be ultimately sure what is actually going on in the mind of a supervilain.
  • However, we can conjecture based on what we do know about them and form our own points of view on what makes them tick and have blast while doing it.
  • In case you missed it the 3 times earlier…Posts must follow DC Universe Community Guidelines

Don’t be afraid to be bold, to challenge the status quo, to think in unique ways and be outspoken. Their is no “right” or “wrong” point of view here. There is what we each find in delving beneath the surface and into the mind of our Supervillain Of The Month.

Most importantly, have fun. Enjoy your process. Revel in it. Don’t be afraid to let some of your “evil” out. We’ve all got a bit of it in us somewhere. If we didn’t, we wouldn’t find villains interesting, now would we. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Reminder: Posts must follow DC Universe Community Guidelines

Our Aug 2021 Supervillian of the month - Brainiac (Geoff Johns - Superman: Brainiac)
——————
With school starting, it’s time to put our brains back in gear and who represents that better than Brainiac.

This is the storyline that is also featured in the DC Animated: Superman: Unbound. (And there’s also going to be a WAL for that. Saturday Aug 21st 5PM edt, 2:00PM pdt. WAL thread here

(I had wanted to include the Marv Wolfman run that brought the more machine based Brainiac and the infamous Skull Ship.
Alas, it is not on the service yet.)
—————

Below the comic book resources for Brainiac (Geoff Johns - Superman: Brainiac) available on DCU.

Comic Resources:
Link to the storyline here

Action Comics - 866

Action Comics - 867

Action Comics - 868

Action Comics - 869

Action Comics - 870

——————

The only limit is your imagination and deduction.

I know with the current pandemic circumstances, some folks may have more or less time on their hands than normal.

—————
Does Brainiac have free will, or is he just obeying his messed up programming.

Thoughts on Supergirl having to cope with her anxiety and fear of Brainiac.

If you could shrink down any city and bottle it for posterity, which city would it be and why?

———————————

Without further ado, we delve into the AI that is Brainiac.
Let the adventure begin!!!

3 Likes

Reminder WAL is tomorrow (Saturday the 21st)
5PM eastern/2PM pacific

Hope you can make it.

2 Likes

NEW WAL
LEGO: Justice League - Cosmic Clash BYOM WAL

Thread for the WAL.

1 Like

Brainiac (Geoff Johns)

I’ve got to admit, it’s a decent reimagining of Brainiac, as a Coluan , rather than Kryptonian as was set forth in STAS. He is techno-organic. It’s interesting that the ship is an extension of him. His classic “3rd act breakdown” was good, but quick and didn’t give us as much information as the film (Superman: Unbound) Every computer system has an upper bound ofprocessing. (CPU overload, memory latency, I/O, etc) The bottled cities are the way he can control them within he computational parameters. When faced with overwhelming data, the system collapses.

There has always been a flaw in Brainiac. .

And it is not in his programming. His desire to collect all knowledge in the universe and bottling a city where people don’t age (and likely sterile) negates the fundamental premise. Knowledge exists and grows through experimentation. By bottling a city and destroying the planet, the quest (and growth) for knowledge ends. So collecting bottled cities and stopping the growth of knowledge. This is Brainiac’s flaw. It does not account for knowledge growth.

Specifically on this run, there was some comedy thrown in:

Car Grant. It was cliche that here “body mods” were from her time in LA. As a SoCal resident, it shows how people from other places have

One reason I prefer the movie over the book is Supergirl. Supergirl doesn’t have the same level of terror and PTSD in the comic as we see in the book. It minimizes her arc by not just becoming a full fledged hero, but having to battle through the fear.

There is also a continuity error. Brainiac tells Superman he has been asleep for 3 centuries, yet when fighting him, he says that he hasn’t engaged in physical fight in 2 centuries. Physically fighting some one while you are asleep seems problematic.

It’s a shame that Marv Wolfman’s reimagining of Brainiac isn’t on the service. That was the first appearance of the skull ship and Brainiac as a computer/robot. Completely devoid of any emotion. Quite literally, bound be his programming. That colder version of Brainiac collects all of what Geoff tried to do but Marv did it better.

I must confess I have a great love for the Lego: Justice League- Cosmic Clash.

The simplicity of making him just an obsessive collector is a great take.simple, elegant and fun.

2 Likes

Zoinks. I don’t think i read any comics this month. And i didn’t even bookmark this thread like I usually do.

Brainiac’s collecting seems more about preserving vs pursuing knowledge. The bottled city is more a copy of what it was on its own as well as what it represented to its homeworld. Destroying the planet to make the new acquisition special is rather excessive.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking some about this and I think it’s something we saw in Wolfman’s ACTION COMICS 444. Brainiac is fundamentally collecting data. Data and knowledge aren’t the some. In the JL series, when Lex is fused with brainiac, Lex has a line which is “You have data, but you lack imagination.”

2 Likes

Sorry but I’m new to this club so I apologize for thread jacking this post. But how do I start a topic? Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Responding Too DeSade-acolyte:

I, Often Find Myself Wondering as Too the Motivation Of the Super Villains When I Watch D.C. Comics T.V. Shows, Movies or Read The Comics!
I, Wonder Why the Joker, Lex Luthor or Captain Cold, For Example, Do What They Do!
I, Oten Find Myself Trying Too Get Into the Mind of the Villains, the Way Super Heroes Like Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman, For Example, Does!
I, Oten Wonder About the Motivation of the Legion of Doom!
You Came Up with A Great Concept Exploring the Minds of the Super Villains for Fun and Entertainment!

Brainiac:

Bottling Up Worlds and Cities!
Gathering Information Like A Computer!
Brainiac is a Great villain!

Brainiac Plays God!
He Stops Knowledge!
He Stops Civilizations From Expanding!

Super Gril Has a Profound Fear of Brainiac!
She Over Comes Her Fears and Battles Brainiac!
She Provides Insight In Too How Brainiac Thinks and Acts!