Psychology of Supervillains - Black Manta - April 2021

I can’t really buy Batman as Hamlet. I see the parallel Contiy is making, but, Hamlet is for to introspective in the moment. I probably put him more towards Macbeth, cuz once Batman goes “all in” he’s all in. Once the choice is made, there is nothing by half measure.

As for Manta, I’d put him as more an Othello type. Once he feels betrayed or wronged, ‘Katie bar the door” cuz he is laser focused on getting his revenge. Sure, Iago tricks Othello into thinking he’s been wronged. But, personality wise Othello and Manta have a similar psychology.

2 Likes

I’ve never read Hamlet. Really I should be saying I don’t remember doing Hamlet in its entirety in school. I remember a few pieces of Othello, but not its entirety. Is Iago’s hatred of Othello explained?

2 Likes

Iago is more power hungry than hateful, IMO. Iago is a great character. He takes such joy in bleeping things up.

Britbox has all of Shakespeare’s plays in movie form. A joint venture between the BBC and the Royal Shakespeare Company, if memory serves. The brits care about preserving their artistic culture. If only we had even half that resolve. Britbox is awesome. Totally worth the streaming fee. I watch it more than Netflix.

1 Like

Most of Europe takes anything that has any artistic merit more seriously than the US. Including but not limited to heavy metal music.

2 Likes

Same thing with punk.

1 Like

there was a documentary about an air guitar contest that is held somewhere in Europe every year. finland or sweden maybe but i am guessing. the premise was to see how well an American would do, presuming (s)he would do reasonably well. The doc also highlighted this difference between American and European approaches to art or the “greater than the sum of the parts” of understanding and appreciating art. And if i remember correctly, it was a quick musing that moved the story (if that’s the right word).

2 Likes

I, Liked Black Manta In Aquaman the Movie!
I, Agree with Others Who Say His Motivation is Revenge!
But, I Also Feel That He Teamed Up with Ocean Master Because He Has A Bigger Game Plan!
Black Manta Wants Too Take Over Atlantis and the World!

Which Leads Me Too the Super Friends Cartoons!
The Legion of Doom, As A Group, In My Version, Want Too Eventually Conquer the World!

Now, For Villains, In General, I Agree with Batman the Animated Series Batman!
These Villains, Like the Joker, Black Manta, Lex Luthor, Have Mental Problems That Need Too Be Addressed!
That’s Why Batman and the Gotham City Police Department Stick Villains In Arkham Insane Asylum!
So That These Villains Can Get the Help That They Need!

1 Like

I, Always Liked the Black Manta In the Legion of Doom!
He Was Always One of My Favorite Villains for the Super Friends Too Battle!

I, Had A Dream Last Night Where the Legion of Doom Were All Leaders of Powerful Underworld Organizations!
Like, the Joker Running the Mob In Gotham City!

All, of the Villains Created These Personas or Characters, If You Will Too Scare Their Enemies and Because They Had Some Kind of Traumatic Event In Their Life That Forced Them Too Create A New Identity!
Like, Harvey Dent Becoming Two Face!

The Joker Set Out Too Entertain People at First.
Then Got Mad When People Didn’t Laugh or Understand His Jokes.
The Joker Leads Armies of Clowns Too Entertain Themselves and Terrorize Their Enemies.

In, A Version the Joker, Black Manta and the Legion of Doom, Entertain the Voices and Thoughts Inside Their Own Heads!
Black Manta May Suffer From Multiple Personality Disorder or Schizophernia!
Like, the Rest of the Legion of Doom!

1 Like

Black Manta I Believe Like Many Super Villains Created These Personalities Too Scare and Intimidate Their Enemies!
Their, All Leaders of Vast Criminal Organizations!

Lex Luthor, For Instance Let’s Himself Get Captured Too Recruit More People, People He Feels He Needs For His Various Criminal Enterprises!
I, Feel They All Want Too Rule the World!

Lex Luthor Also Sets His Lawyers Loose In Prisons Looking For Good Criminals!

1 Like