PSA:DC Universe Supports, Encourages, & Stands for Diversity AKA, DC The Street

As recommended above and to the point of the original post, please explore your passion for this meta discussion in a forum dedicated to the topic. We are here to talk about DC.

All comments that came into conflict with this post’s explicit requests have been deleted. Thanks for your understanding :slight_smile:

11 Likes

If you are unclear or in disagreement on the posted guidelines, e-mail me directly at fans@dcuniverse.com to discuss further.

9 Likes

@Applejack, as someone who is a volunteer mod on another forum, I know that writing these posts is hard. Wordsmithing so that you say what you want to say, DON’T inadvertently say what you don’t want to say, and don’t wind up being either ambiguous or so blunt that you sound like a jerk is hard. Dealing with the sort of rubbish that makes these posts necessary is really hard. Well done; respect.

10 Likes

I am sad that this even needed to be stated. Anyone that reads comics would hopefully already know & understand that comic books have been a force for social justice & a better world since their inception. The themes are always in the story. Sometimes, the foreshadowing of actual events is earily creepy. Ever picked up a random older book & gone, Oh my gosh! Do you see this & look at what we have happening right now in the real world… We get warnings of so much from these comics. An example would be the old old Green Arrow & Green Lantern Comic Book that does not hide the issue at all, of all people matter (the purple skins, the green skins, the black skins, all people matter). Thanks everyone for being You & being Super! Work to be better than your best self everyday & take inspirations from the pages to motivate you to get there. :woman_superhero:

4 Likes

My son and I actually had a discussion just today about how awesome it is that in DC comics treats diversity in a natural way (i/e a female character discussing their wife naturally in conversation. Danny the Street being treated respectfully by the main characters that interact with him as a matter of course. . .etc)

9 Likes

Is the DCU going to accept blatant racist, xenophobic, homophobic & misogynistic views in the content it allows & creates?

I’m guessing not and I fully support that stand.

So what action is DCU going to take about blatant misandrist comments by it’s own on air talent?

4 Likes

Anti-android hatred is unacceptable

5 Likes

@biff_pow that was worth a chuckle.

Unfortunately, misandrist is the gender swap of misogynist. And is passing hatred towards an entire gender. Not really feeling the aster on an inclusive community. Especially, in light that this was an edited video piece for DC Daily.

4 Likes

No, I know. But it’s like billionaires complaining about anti-wealth discrimination.

Meanwhile a male guest invoked “the friend zone,” the dangerous myth that men are entitled to sexual relationships with women. THAT’s actually poisoning our society.

9 Likes

@Desade, DC doesn’t encourage the stuff you mentioned

2 Likes

We represent and moderate the actions taken on the community forums. We are not responsible nor do we inform the comments made by talent or creators. This is OUR safe space. We are here to have engaged and thoughtful conversations about the content we consume. If you are seeking accountability for the actions taken outside of the community, these are not the forums you are looking for.

11 Likes

@AppleJack
Sorry, i was not aware the community standards only were applicable to the forums.

Please ignore the question posed in the office hours thread.

3 Likes

:eyes:

1 Like

What a beautiful post by the DC moderators. I’ve never read a community guideline post with such love and heart attached.

7 Likes

:rainbow_flag:

7 Likes

Applejack! Applejack! Applejack!

Hey I’m sorry been doing hmwrk all day and just took an exam my brain is fried.
Is the purpose of this to say that people can’t post threads about subjects of diversity due to possible negative feed back or just a reminder to keep it classy and negativity will not be tolerated?

2 Likes

@fansumtheory.16165 unofficial answer: It was an effort to end a thread that blew up about why diversity matters that devolved into a disappointing discussion. DC responded by saying we cherish diversity and that’s an awesome thing!!

3 Likes

Ok thank you @Nathan.Payson.
It was the paragraph below the one with the Star symbols that had me confused. I’m unfamiliar with the term Meta Conversation and when it stated "to seek out forums or other community sources dedicated to social change and human rights. " I was confused.
It really blows my mind when people can’t follow the Golden Rule “Treat other how one’s self would wish to be treated”

3 Likes

Official answer: Conversations predicated on discussing the concept of diversity will either be closely monitored or deleted.

Examples of this are:

“There isn’t enough diversity!”
“There’s too much diversity!”

We as moderators found ourselves asking, “what does this conversation serve as fans of DC? How do these questions relate back to the reason we’re here?” Questions like that became conversations about if diversity in and of itself is important.

This post was created to emphasize that we as a company see virtue in diversity. If a fan wants to create a conversation about how types of diversity are represented in our favorites stories, awesome! There’s a common ground we can all use symbolically to discuss our viewpoints.

The paragraph below the stars, to put another way than “Meta Conversation” is to say: Make the thesis of your discussion about DC, not about diversity.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

4 Likes

Thanks Applejack that deffently clarified it for me. That makes sense and I agree.
P.S.
Looks like VApplejack is about to level up this week whoop whoop!

3 Likes