Products With DC Oriented Names That Aren't DC Products

Whenever you’re out and about doing your shopping (and/or shopping online), do you ever see a product that has nothing to do with DC, but whose name still reminds you of DC in some way?

I’ve got a couple:

1. The Clark Bar. It reminds me of Clark Kent (and Clark Griswold, who isn’t a DC character, but is still within the WB family).

2. Axe brand Apollo deodorant. I was hip deep in a re-read of The Authority when I saw this on the shelf at Target and instantly thought of Midnighter’s better half.

How’s 'bout you?

8 Likes

Washington D.C. , finally my internet realizes I’m trying to look up Batman info not politics!!!

6 Likes

Every day on my bike route I pass a storefront called “DC Carpeting.” I’ve never gone in but I’ve always imagined you could get carpet samples with, like, Daily Planet globe patterns there.

8 Likes

The only one that comes to mind on is Diet Coke. I usually abbreviate it to DC on my shopping list.

And every time I pass the frozen breakfast section I think of TTG. “Waffles waffles waffles waffles.”

6 Likes

When you go to buy Diet Coke, do you have your butler call ahead?

6 Likes

I pass Gotham bail bonds on my way to work everyday

3 Likes

There’s a book called “The Robots of Gotham” at a B&N near me that has nothing to do with Batman. I remember grabbing it, reading the first chapter, and wondering when Alfred was going to show up. Then I read the back. Oops.

4 Likes

I would totally read a DC Robits of Gotham book. Batman in the transformers verse?

Also there is Gotham brand pots and pans (where the Wayne fortune began?) and Grayson furniture (Dick started his own business).

For Supernatural fans, there’s a Cas hotel and a Rowena hotel.

6 Likes

@AlexanderKnox

If only.

I think most of us could use an Alfred Pennyworth in our lives.

6 Likes

The Gotham Steel pots and pans always get me thinking about Batman.

4 Likes

Wait, how is Midnighter not a deodorant too? I can’t think of any product that hasn’t been mentioned, but the courthouse in a city near me is actually called the Hall of Justice.

5 Likes

I’d buy Midnighter deodorant

2 Likes

Apologies, but this thread needs to be resurrected.
Though admittedly not a “product” per se, how could y’all not include Red Robin?

And how quickly do we forget the global internet blight that was Adobe Flash?

Or the platform that now pretty much runs the internet …

There’s also our good buddy Dan/Ted/Jaime…

And I’m sure I’m not the only one who puts “fresh Starfire” on my grocery shopping list, right?

Not sure if it doesn’t count because they license the name from DC, but there’s only one bike lock that will keep Clark Kent off your wheels…

And then this guy…

There is a gun accessory and tactical gear called Blackhawk that, for whatever reason, doesn’t steer into the bird imagery, let alone the obvious comic reference.

There’s also, of course, the atomic element Krypton, named decades before Superman was orphaned. Most light bulbs marketed as halogen are actually filled with Krypton, and some packaging actually indicates this in a big enough font to amuse. (Though I can’t find an online illustration of such.) And the Sherwin Williams paint tone of the same name.

On the subject of paint and chemistry, though technically the character is named for the color, which is named for it’s chemical origins … Malcolm

Does nobody caulk?

Kaleos has a model of eyeglasses named Pennyworth, though I suspect they intend for it to be a DC reference…

And in the realm of locations, there used to be an actual lighting store in Richland, WA called The Green Lantern (conspicuously in the same strip mall as the LCBS), but I think it’s an antique market now. In looking for it, however, I discovered The Green Lantern Tavern in Walla Walla, The Green Lantern Pub in Ocean Shores (where I almost moved in 2017!), and straight up Green Lantern in DC, which is a gay club that has shirtless men drink free hours on Thursdays and Saturday, if anyone’s interested. They don’t seem to have any restrictions on age or body type, which is incredibly welcoming and inclusive, but also seems potentially contrary to their intentions…

Oh, and do we count this?

4 Likes

This is Shazam

This is also Shazam

Honestly one has to go and DC already let Marvel take Captain Marvel from us. They can’t allow Shazam to be taken too! :laughing:

5 Likes

I literally can’t see a boomerang without thinking of Captain Boomerang.

Dairy Queen reminds me of Milk Wars

5 Likes

Haha, this actually popped into my head shortly after I posted and shut down last night. I’ve been working extra hard to remember to come back to post it, so thank you!

4 Likes

This might be ancient history to the young’uns among us, but if you frequent used book shops, keep an eye out for books published between 1962 and 1990 (before the dark times, before Rupert Murdoch). While previously a household name, and I’m pretty sure the origin of the character’s name, I manage to forget about it’s existence and giggle all anew every time I come across it.

In pulling up that, I stumbled upon a boutique clothing store in Duluth, GA that is also a “full service travel agency” … which is weird, to say the least. (Run by a woman named Susan, so, no, that’s not just her name, too…)

3 Likes

Because their food sucks? :man_shrugging:t2: :wink:

Not forgotten in my Internet experience, as I loved playing Flash games in my teens…especially the Teletubbies target range.

Stick Death was always fun, too.

Also the platform that WebTV couldn’t utilize.

I haven’t ridden a bike in two decades and change, but if I did ride one again and needed a lock, I kinda-sorta would need to get a Kryptonite-branded piece.

:smile: The Geoff Johns-era Teen Titans post-Infinite Crisis certainly do!

Good one! Paging @millernumber1

3 Likes

One of the discord servers I am in just created a spoiler channel and everyone tagged me with pictures of the best DC hero :smiley:

4 Likes

I use her in conference presentations all the time.

4 Likes