Pride Profile: The Marstons

All biopic books and movies use fiction as a way to shortcut story beats and wrap up stories more nearly. As long as it keeps the spirit of the spectrum matter alive, I see no problem with a few fictionalized parts.

6 Likes

Yes and no (for me). Movies in particular need to play with reality to be entertaining and fit the time constraints. Supporting characters get scrunched together, timelines blurred (Queen bio movie with Live Aid); but if you take a major liberty like Prof Marston did, I want to know what the ground truth is. In this movie, the relationship it shows can be representative of their creating their own family, and the bond they share and that’s cool. But, I like knowing (to the extent we can) what actually happened. Same with Lawerence of Arabia, the Alamo, etc.

6 Likes

Thanks for posting your thread here @TurokSonOfStone1950. I haven’t read it yet, but I’m going to. You’re a Mad Man and I love it! That’s so cool, you cared enough to dive deep into the history of the characters.

5 Likes

But how often can we really know what happened? Two conservatives have a kid who grows up to be a liberal. Their truths are going to be different.

5 Likes

But there is objective truth. The Queen bio movie has Freddie Mercury tell the band he has AIDS just before Live Aid. He wasn’t diagnosed until two years later. The Brit tv show The English Game about the first pro soccer players changes players, teams and years. But, in both cases you get a good feel for the time and place and forces at work, but they are not entirely truthful.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Back then, research required actual research. This was before they invented smart word box to tell monkey hard brain-hurty things.

4 Likes