Pride Profile: John Constantine

Pride_Profile_John Constantine

:00_dc_pride:Pride Profile: John Constantine. This popular character needs no introduction, but we’re giving him one anyway. Created by Alan Moore for Swamp Thing #37 because Steve Bissette and John Totleben wanted to draw Sting, Constantine is a chain smoking working class con artist, manipulator, and magician who has saved the DCU more times than your average magical hero. With the creation of the Vertigo imprint, Constantine’s Hellblazer became one of its centerpieces running for three hundred issues. Adding to that are starring turns in subsequent comic series, a movie, appearances on five different television shows, multiple animated projects and more to come. For a man who likes to present himself as uncaring and cynical, Constantine sure seems to fall hard in love a lot. From Desmond in the Arrowverse to Zatanna in the DCU, Constantine cares more than he would like to admit.

Hellblazer

Justice League Dark

Swamp Thing #37

8 Likes

Pride Month Club Discussions. Need a deeper look at other Pride characters? Check out these club discussions from across the DCUI.

World of Bats: Batwoman Elegy

Doom Patrol Pride Month

DC History Club: Supergirl: Being Super

DC History and Harley’s Crew: V for Vendetta

DC Book Club: Pride Month

Characters of DC: Midnighter and Apollo

Birds of Prey Club: Batwoman and Montoya

DC History Club: The Pride History of the DCU

World of Bats: Gotham Half a Life

House of Horror: The Low, Low Woods

Harley’s Crew: Harley and Ivy

Justice League Book Club: The Ray

3 Likes

Funny thing is that Vertigo’s Hellblazer hardly ever mentioned his sexuality. While mainstream Constantine made it a focal point for his series :rofl::joy::rofl:

3 Likes

I like how in the first video they all love Constantine, and what a great character he is and then cast an American. I still like that movie, I just think of Reeves as John’s American cousin

4 Likes

Mainstream audience actor recognition/appeal trumps source material.

1 Like

Cast a semi-known Australian in the right role and it creates its own appeal (ie Jackman, Helmsworth).

2 Likes

Maybe they were too lazy

2 Likes

Hahaha

1 Like

In House of Horror we are reading the New 52 Constantine title and the Sandman Universe Hellblazer title. New 52, at least in the first 6 books, didn’t mention his sexuality once. Well, it showed a few of his ex-girlfriends but that was fleeting no matter how important to the story they might have been.

2 Likes

Drop a link here, I’ll add to links section across the profiles.

2 Likes

Sure thing!

2 Likes

What I was trying to say was that they made his homosexuality more prominent in mainstream dc continuity. While in Hellblazer it was just a fleeting comment/after thought.

2 Likes

So what’s the thoughts on Desmond? Was he ever confirmed to be based on Oliver (from Tynion/Doyle’s run) or is that just me?

2 Likes

I agree 100%. That is the vibe I got from New 52 as well.

1 Like

I have no idea :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Got an actor that is American but he could have darn well pulled off Constantine: James Masters

3 Likes
2 Likes

the show was great,

1 Like

This reminds me of the Kevin Costner version of Robin Hood. Some people just can’t be bothered with accents.